Author Topic: 2021 Lychee Season  (Read 16206 times)

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Lychee Season
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2021, 09:46:36 PM »
Was thinking that this year I was finally going to get a decent amount of fruit from my sweetheart.
While in the yard yesterday I noticed that some of the fruits were starting to show color.
Started looking and discovered that a lot of them have some splitting going on.
Not from over watering, because we have been pretty dry and I don't go out of my way to water.
Would under watering cause fruit splitting, the trees are not showing any signs of stress.

googled & may 1986 answer is::: From South Africa via Australia  :::

The Archives of the Rare Fruit Council Australia
Home
Caring For Trees
People And Places
Fruits And Nuts
Recipes
Helpful Hints
FRUIT CRACK IN LITCHIS
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Litchi chinensis
FAMILY: Sapindaceae
One of the most common problems in litchi production is the large percentage of fruit that crack during the ripening process. The causes of fruit crack cannot be attributed to a single factor, and the phenomenon can differ from orchard to orchard or from one region to the next. Fruit crack occurs during the third stage of fruit development. This is after cell division has ceased in the pericarp (skin) and cell stretching takes place.

It has been established that cell division in the skin ceases about 70 days after fertilisation. From this stage until the end of the fruit growth period, i. e. after another 35 days (Stage III), cell stretching takes place in the skin. During this period, the edible portion (aril) that grows between the seed and the skin, enlarges very rapidly, causing tremendous inner tension against the skin which then has to stretch very quickly.

Skin strength, i. e. resistance to cracking, is determined by the number of cells formed during the first 10 weeks of fruit development. Since the litchi skin has this weak characteristic, it is essential that optimum conditions for cell division be created during fruit growth Stages I and II. Any lack, for example, of water or nutrients at this stage, will hamper cell division and too few cells will be formed. The tension in the cells during Stage III will then be very high, resulting in skin crack. It is notable that the skin cracks after long, wet spells when much water is taken up. The skin cracks according to an easily identifiable pattern across the length (tip) of the fruit.

A second cause of fruit crack is skin damage during Stage III when only cell stretch takes place. Damaged cells cannot recover during this period and since the cells are dead at that time, they will also not be able to stretch and the skin will tear as the tension (pressure) of the enlarging aril increases inside the skin. This tension causes the skin to crack at damaged or weak spots. The most common factors that play a role in this regard are insect, hail and sunburn damage when relative humidity is low.

Browning is a symptom of cell necrosis which starts in the internal cell layers (mesocarp) of the skin once cell division has stopped and the cell begin to stretch. In an advanced stage, the browned cells die and dry out. It has been established that browning is not caused by insect damage or fungal diseases. However, as yet, the primary cause of browning has not been established, but the following factors could be directly involved:

Early ageing and dying of the cells due to an imbalance in nutrients.
The tremendous cell tension in the pericarp that could cause cell damage.
High temperatures together with low humidity during the fruit growth period.
Secretion of volatile, harmful substances by the actively-developing aril that could adversely affect the ageing pericarp cells.
To summarise, browning is a condition of early cell deterioration and necrosis. To prevent fruit crack, it is recommended that litchis be grown in such a way that all the deleterious factors can be restricted or eliminated.

(Reprinted from Farming in South Africa 1983). Extract from Sunshine Coast Sub Tropical Fruits Association Newsletter May, 1986.

A. J. Joubert,
Citrus and Subtropical Fruit Research Institute,
Nelspruit, South Africa
DATE: May 1986

Orrrrrrr:::
Home » Acta Horticulturae » Acta Horticulturae 1211
Select Language​▼
Cracking of lychee fruits: responsible factors and control
Authors
D. Mandal, S. Mitra
Abstract
Lychee, a juicy, attractive and excellent fruit of Sapindaceae family, is preferred by consumers for its extraordinary taste and aroma. India, the second largest producer of the crop, has got an important position in the export of lychee as it possesses attractive colour, good size and excellent taste. However, fruit cracking is the most serious problem of quality lychee production in major lychee growing belts of India, viz. Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand, Assam, Tripura, etc. During seven years (2007-2013), systematic research on lychee fruit cracking at the Horticulture Research Station, BCKV, West Bengal, revealed that occurrence and extent of fruit cracking differed among the lychee cultivars and it was found that relatively early cultivars with more tubercle density and thin pericarp were more prone to cracking than late cultivars or with less tubercle density. High temperature during rapid growth period coupled with low relative humidity was the potential reason behind this disorder. It was observed that internal pressure of developing fruits had positive correlation with cracking whereas aril or peel calcium had no coinciding relationship with it. Fruits located at west and north side or at inner canopy had minimal cracking problem. Application of irrigation at 40% pan coefficient through sprinkler irrigation had significant effect to overcome the cracking problem of fruit. Drip irrigation and mulching with fallen lychee leaves was also found effective to tackle the disorder. Use of agro-shade net (50% light transmission) and foliar application of Boron at 0.5% had potential influence to control this disorder. Besides, delayed harvesting by the application of gibberellic acid (50 mg L-1) at 21 days after fruit set also reduced the problem.
Citation
Mandal, D. and Mitra, S. (2018). Cracking of lychee fruits: responsible factors and control. Acta Hortic. 1211, 35-44
DOI: 10.17660/ActaHortic.2018.1211.6
https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2018.1211.6
Keywords
lychee, fruit cracking, agro-shade net, irrigation, canopy
Language
English
Full text
https://doi.org/10.17660/ActaHortic.2018.1211.6
Acta Horticulturae 1211
V International Symposium on Lychee, Longan and Other Sapindaceae Fruits
Article number
1211_6
Pages
35-44
Groups
Division Tropical and Subtropical Fruit and Nuts
Workgroup Lychee, Longan and other Sapindaceae Fruits

Audio is low and my ears don't pick it all up But The Transcript is Great:::
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayc2Vy1LXCM
Greentech
14.7K subscribers
How to fruit cracking in litchi and remedy?
Litchi cracking is a common problem. It can be caused by weather, hormones, affected by insects, etc.
So we are going to look at the problems first.
• After a period of long draught there can be litchi cracking.  Irregular or sudden irrigation or sudden too much rainfall after hot weather also are the reasons to have a crack in litchis.
• It has been found that litchis which are cracked than those which are normal or good, have more hormones in peels, shells, and in seeds. Gibberellin, Sito Kainin, and a basis acid have been found in litchis which are cracked.
• Lack of Nutrition such as lack of Potassium, Calcium, Zinc, Boron, Copper, Molybdenum, Manganese will increase the chance of having a crack in litchis.
• Because of defective irrigation management litchi cracking may increase. Lack of humidity of the soil and not proper irrigation are also the reason for Litchi cracking.
Symptoms:
• For many days of drought or heat of the sun, peels of the litchis will get strong
• Sudden rainfall or sudden irrigation will make the litchis large inside the peels
• But outside the peels cannot be large enough and it remains strong
• So litchis crack by this.
Now we will see how to save litchis from cracking and what are the remedies to the problem
• We need to put organic and chemical fertilizer in the proper portion in 3 terms i.e. before and after the rainy season and finally after there is litchi flower.
• In the summer season when it is time of drought, we need to do irrigation 10-15 days intervals
• When it is the time of growing litchis we need to give a lot of water in proper portion
• During the time of growing litchis we also need to spray Jink Sulfate ( 5 gram in a per litter) and Borik Acid ( 5 gram per litter)
• Litchi cracking will be also decreased by applying the hormonal spray. Naphthalin Acetic Acid by 25% ppm and gibberellic acid by 50% ppm in 10 days interval we need to spray.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 10:35:06 PM by palmcity »

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2021, 08:20:35 PM »
Water uptake, humidity, temperature and soluble solids (sugars) as well as calcium nutrition and standing water on the fruit are thought to have roles in fruit cracking, along with genetics. Cultural practices can have an effect on fruit cracking. Water management, light levels and rate of fruit development can be affected by management practices..

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 01, 2021, 03:35:16 PM »
Tree was originally purchased in 2016 and put into the ground. It had a yellow tag from Hopkins nursery that said Hak Ip. It's about 10x10 ft right now. This is it's first fruiting and I haven't had any ripe ones yet due to rodents. There's still a dozen on the tree, so I'm hoping I can get some fully colored fruit. Fruit weight is over 30g with the bigger around 45g. Skin gets fairly smooth and pulp is crisp kind of like a grape. Super juicy, sweet as can be and a slight tartness. 19-20.5 brix on all fruit.

It bloomed a little funny as well. First flowers opened in February and had fruit set by March and then more flowers opened and fruit set in April and then more flowers with fruit that fell off at pea size. It also sent out one last small panicle about 3 weeks ago. Only the first two cycles set, so I have the fruit just about ripe and a bunch about thumb size .

Well, its not Brewster or Kiamana. Hak Ip could be correct. But in my memory SweetHeart sweetens sooner (while still partly green) as pictured.

I sampled some Hak Ip in our grove that was a similar ripness to yours. It was plenty sweet. I think your tree was correctly identified as Hak Ip.

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2021, 09:53:30 PM »
Plenty sweet is no joke. Organza bags on and paper around the clusters and the birds are still finding the fruit. Can't blame them though, they are pretty incredible. My wife likes them so much she wants another tree... Not sure where I'll put it but happy wife happy life, right lol.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2021, 10:11:04 PM »
Plenty sweet is no joke. Organza bags on and paper around the clusters and the birds are still finding the fruit. Can't blame them though, they are pretty incredible. My wife likes them so much she wants another tree... Not sure where I'll put it but happy wife happy life, right lol.

Best to not cover the fruit (for the quality of the fruit).  There are some items you can buy to deter birds...but sometimes they birds will win.
- Rob

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2021, 11:49:50 PM »
Trees here are still in flowering stage.

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2021, 12:05:58 PM »
I have had decent luck using bird scare (reflective) tape. 
Brad

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 03, 2021, 10:27:41 PM »

That explains why the fruit has not colored yet. Shaded fruit does not get red or ripen as quickly in my experience.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 03, 2021, 11:33:00 PM »

That explains why the fruit has not colored yet. Shaded fruit does not get red or ripen as quickly in my experience.

Exactly.
- Rob

mattyboydesigns

• St. Petersburg, Florida 9b/10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2021, 08:47:56 PM »
Thanks, I had given that a thought but wasn't quite sure. We'll see how next year goes and I'll be trying some different methods of protection. Any suggestions for another tree for my area?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2021, 09:33:29 PM »
Thanks, I had given that a thought but wasn't quite sure. We'll see how next year goes and I'll be trying some different methods of protection. Any suggestions for another tree for my area?

Proper applications if fertilizer and potassium is key and water at right times fro fruit development vs vegetative growth.
- Rob

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 06, 2021, 03:12:55 PM »

Since you have an early season fruit, a late one to pair with it would be nice. Emperor, Brewster, or Kiamana (if you can find one) would be good. Just don't get the tree from a county that has the Erinose mite

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 06, 2021, 05:18:06 PM »
Kaimana and Sweetheart are early.

Emperor is late.
Brad

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 06, 2021, 10:55:12 PM »
Emperor is indeed last. Kiamana begins ripening after Sweet Heart and about the same time as Brewster. At least, that is the order here in central Florida.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 11:02:36 PM by Galatians522 »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2021, 12:36:17 AM »
Emperor is indeed last. Kiamana begins ripening after Sweet Heart and about the same time as Brewster. At least, that is the order here in central Florida.

Pretty much the same in SFla...for most common varieties,  Sweetheart,  Hak Ip and Mauritius come in first, followed by Brewster and then Emperor (when it actually produces here which is least reliable).  I left out Kaimana and Kwai Mai Pink/Bosworth 3 as they are not commonly found in SE Florida.
- Rob

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2021, 09:07:13 AM »

Scored some lychees from a neighbor that doesn't like them  :o...great for me Lol...
I think these are sweethearts? Picked about 10 lbs or so  ;)

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2021, 08:47:39 PM »
This thread has been dormant for a week and a half. Who still has lychees in Florida? Anyone in California have fruit staring to ripen (if so, what do you have)?

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2021, 10:39:54 PM »
Lychees are still a month away here in San Gabriel CA. Mauritius tree fruiting  Sweetheart, Hakip, Heung Lai,  Emperor, and a unknown. Fruits are still dropping. Kwai Mai Pink completely dropped all the fruits.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 17, 2021, 03:58:28 PM »
Still picking lychee Kwai mai pink ,Salathiel,No mai chee and very soon Chakraphat (emperor) lychee

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 17, 2021, 07:53:21 PM »
Lychees are still a month away here in San Gabriel CA. Mauritius tree fruiting  Sweetheart, Hakip, Heung Lai,  Emperor, and a unknown. Fruits are still dropping. Kwai Mai Pink completely dropped all the fruits.

Very nice! How is Heung Lai? Have you been able to sample any? I guess it is one of the "heirloom lychees."

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 17, 2021, 08:06:34 PM »
Still picking lychee Kwai mai pink ,Salathiel,No mai chee and very soon Chakraphat (emperor) lychee

Thanks for the report on Kwai Mai Pink, Salathiel, and No Mai Chee. It is nice to hear that they are later lychees.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 17, 2021, 08:07:58 PM »

Scored some lychees from a neighbor that doesn't like them  :o...great for me Lol...
I think these are sweethearts? Picked about 10 lbs or so  ;)

nice Pug! Wish I have neighbors like yours

Seanny

• Garden Grove, Orange County, California, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2021, 11:52:15 AM »

Emperor is only at this stage here.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2021, 05:58:42 AM »

Emperor is only at this stage here.

November lychees anyone? Incredible!

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2021, 02:42:42 AM »

Very nice! How is Heung Lai? Have you been able to sample any? I guess it is one of the "heirloom lychees."
[/quote]
Galatians522
Yes, I got to try a few fruits back in 2017. I remember the flesh was soft, very juicy and fragrant with no rag. Here's the link for pictures of the fruit
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=315.100

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk