Author Topic: NDM vs Maha chanok  (Read 1597 times)

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
NDM vs Maha chanok
« on: July 20, 2021, 12:45:39 AM »
So i thought i had better plant a few mango trees, keep in mind i dont have access to all the fancy varieties you have in florida and I also live in a place much more humid and wet then florida.  I have a NDM already and have access to maha and keow savoy.  Should I plant a maha are they different enough to NDM to warrant a tree?  Anything else to know about NDM and Maha ?? I believe these are from thailand and most likely a better suit to my climate.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: NDM vs Maha chanok
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 08:59:41 AM »
As far as I know, they are "different enough."  I'm sure others could comment so we can get you an answer.
John

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 10:33:30 AM »
You should try the fruit before you plant the tree.
It doesn't matter which one I like better
I really enjoyed maha this year and I have been giving away my
NDM. I personally think lemonzest is OK and others think it's #1.
Everyone is different

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 12:14:33 PM »
For what it's worth, I like Maha, too.
John

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 12:41:38 PM »
Maha is wayyy better in flavor and I haven't noticed any fruit splitting. NDM could be a tad sweeter.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 02:25:05 PM »
Everyone is different

You aren’t alone, I have enjoyed maha too, even more than lz, but that’s a great mango also, In regards to the question, they are different enough to grow both.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

UplanderCA

• USA,SoCal, Upland, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 02:42:31 PM »
I agree with the comments above.  I grow both and I'm more partial to the maha.  It really depends on my mood, if I want sugar candy - it's NDM.  The one thing about NDM is that the fruit will split if you overwater the tree.  I accidentally left the hose running for extra deep watering one day.  A few days later about 1/4 of the fruit on the tree starting splitting. 
Cheers,
Tony

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 03:52:59 PM »
They really don't like wet climates either and are from the drier pats of Thailand. Maha is a bit better I think but NDM #4, NDM gold is a bit better than other NDMs I think. One Mareeba nursery has these. Ok Rung is pretty good if you are going thai and keow sawoy i not as sweet. Taiwan Gold the very big late variety suits wet climates better.

Gone tropo

• Durian obsessed
    • Nth Qld Australia, zone 13a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 07:37:25 PM »
thanks all looks like a maha might be worth planting, mike i got my ndm from a mareeba nursery it was just sold as NDM. They had KP, keow savoy and maha were not ready yet I didnt see any called taiwan gold.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 10:35:35 PM »
Both fruits are delicious and different enough. Someone said Maha Chanok (rainbow mango i think it translates) is naturally (seedling) a little bit dwarfish, haven't had this confirmed yet.

And both should be able to produce polyembryonic seeds so you should be able to get a nucellar clone so you don't have to spend heaps of money on a grafted tree. If the seed contents looks like a jigsawpuzzel it's probobly a polyembryonic seed. ( polyembryonic, more the one embryo).

The cedar bay mango is amazing too, some call it Rubau long, it's a green skin long mango with orange flesh.
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 11:31:54 PM »
I know both and both are great mangos. I have maha  in my backyard and also considering planting ndm 4. They are different. Maha is more complex. It is also a surprisingly late cultivar. I have just picked my last fruit. Almost August.

Malia

• Florida, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2021, 12:50:35 PM »
Both fruits are delicious and different enough. Someone said Maha Chanok (rainbow mango i think it translates) is naturally (seedling) a little bit dwarfish, haven't had this confirmed yet.

And both should be able to produce polyembryonic seeds so you should be able to get a nucellar clone so you don't have to spend heaps of money on a grafted tree. If the seed contents looks like a jigsawpuzzel it's probobly a polyembryonic seed. ( polyembryonic, more the one embryo).

The cedar bay mango is amazing too, some call it Rubau long, it's a green skin long mango with orange flesh.
I do not think Maha is dwarfish. On TAF page Alex negates it. From my experience: yes, it has long internodes, especially on the one dominant branch. What is also interesting, I cut off relentlessly all the growth tips on all branches, but still, the canopy is not dense by any standards.

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2021, 03:54:22 AM »
Malia, thanks for the input in the maha, happy about that :D
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

Alekhan

• US, FL, Clearwater, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2021, 11:55:03 PM »
Everyone is different

You aren’t alone, I have enjoyed maha too, even more than lz, but that’s a great mango also, In regards to the question, they are different enough to grow both.

Maha, NDM or other South East Asian mangoes can top LZ. I would say a Maha has a more unique scent/taste than NDM.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2021, 12:53:47 AM »
Maha, NDM or other South East Asian mangoes can top LZ. I would say a Maha has a more unique scent/taste than NDM.
Music to my ears. Now I will have to treat my Maha extra good. I hit it with a little water every day from the garden hose. Planted three months ago where an avocado was.
"Water is the best fertilizer" --  Harry Hausman (HMHausman) who is a long time member here

Honest Abe

• Biscayne Park, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 08:13:40 AM »
In my opinion,

Maha used to be very complex and interesting to me, until
I tried many better mangos. Now I feel maha has been outshined By many greater ones that aren’t as difficult to gauge ripeness and proper timing for picking. If timed perfectly, tastes very sweet with a nice floral blast.

NDM continues to be my wife’s favorite and a favorite of mine as well. It’s like mango/honey jello candy for us. The texture alone makes it worth planting for me although mine has not produced still, a 4 year old tree. I still buy them every year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk