Author Topic: My Valencia Pride in So Cal  (Read 858 times)

phongvu

• Santa Ana, So Cal, Plant Zone 10B
    • View Profile
My Valencia Pride in So Cal
« on: October 26, 2021, 09:09:35 PM »
Hi All, check out my Valencia Pride video on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQlVaAZAIh4 and let me know what you think.  Thanks.

Eggo

• USA, California, LA/OC, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: My Valencia Pride in So Cal
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 05:35:27 AM »
That looks awesome! I'm going to have to add valencia pride to my wish list.  I planted a keitt this year and hope it produce well down the road.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 08:54:25 AM »
Great video, I love how clean your yard is. You may want to consider multigrafting your tree with a few Zill varieties like Sweet Tart, E4/Sugarloaf, Peach Cobbler, Venus, K3, Pineapple Pleasure, Orange Sherbet. Or you can just plant more single variety trees.

Simon

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 09:13:48 PM »
Nice tree. I see you have the cover lid at each tree; do you cover the soil normally and why?

At 5:10 I thought I see the soil level is a little too high covered the mango trunk. You may want to get it down to the first exposed root. If you like Valencia then get the giant fruit Lancetilla which looks and taste just like Valencia but much bigger.

phongvu

• Santa Ana, So Cal, Plant Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 11:28:51 PM »
@Eggo: Yes, you can get your Valencia Pride from Wong Farms near the Salton Sea.  You won't be disappointed with your Keitt based on my experience with my former 15 feet tall Keitt tree in Anaheim.

@simon_grow: Thank you.  I used the 16" pavers from Lowes along with high quality polymeric sand from Techniseal.

@sapote: Thank you for the tip.  You are right.  Lancetilla mango is both huge and delicious but, unfortunately, don't have any more room in my backyard to take on another mango tree.  Those are not cover lids.  They are the tree irrigation watering bags for drip irrigation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk