Author Topic: Who still has mangos on the tree in Florida and what varieties are they?  (Read 2597 times)

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
It has been an early mango season this year that apparently also ended early at least in Southeast Florida. My Dad's Valencia Prides in North Ft Myers were done by mid July this year,usually a few hold til at least the 10th of August so maybe SW Florida also is about done.
 I still have Little Gem hanging in Southwest Florida and have seen a few Keitt trees still holding a lot of fruit. I am trying to see how long Little Gem will hold this year but am fighting a losing battle with the animals. I have less than a dozen fruit left and The Possums are getting one or two almost every night. I have resorted to scattering apples and starfruit on the ground to try to keep them out of my tree. It seems I am catching one almost every night and relocating them alive far enough away that they won't come back.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Beverly, Keitt and a few stragglers of Choc Anon.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
I still have Neelam on the tree.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
lots of Keitts in the Homestead area.

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
Picked last Maha Chanok yesterday, have one Lemon Zest hanging, and a dozen+ Honey Kiss left.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
All mine are finished, picked last 75 pounds of Kent this past week. I see some Keitt hanging down the street.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
All mine are finished, picked last 75 pounds of Kent this past week. I see some Keitt hanging down the street.
Do your Kents get a lot of MBBS?
John

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
I have seen some, less than Haden and some other varieties. This summer has been exceptionally dry in my area and the Kents were not so bad this year, pretty good. I have a fairly large Kent tree about 10 years old and this year got in excess of 100 pounds of good clean harvestable fruit.

johnb51

• View Profile
I have seen some, less than Haden and some other varieties. This summer has been exceptionally dry in my area and the Kents were not so bad this year, pretty good. I have a fairly large Kent tree about 10 years old and this year got in excess of 100 pounds of good clean harvestable fruit.
Nice!
John

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
I remember Neelam was the last type of mango available in the markets till late September, and the end of the monsoon season in India. Looking at your Neelam fruit picture it may need some more time before harvesting and then storing it to ripen on a straw bed before it is ready to be consumed.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
Thanks, Triphal, I was wondering about harvesting them. From what I gathered from a Truly Tropical video, I'm looking for a full body, brown stem, and a yellow color breaking on them? Also, are they eaten when firm soft, soft, or really soft for best flavor?

I'm guessing (hoping) a countertop works as well as straw, as I went with Formica in the kitchen as opposed to sticks or straw? Thanks!

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
I have a few Neelams left on the tree.
I had to harvest the majority of else the wildlife wouldn't let me get any.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
Sorry. I am out of touch in that aspect for 60 years! But I remember eating a fresh whole Neelam during a match lunch break in early October!

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile

Sorry Rob I only have one Valencia Pride or I would share :)

In 2019 the last one was picked third week in September

I still have not learned mango edicate I eat out of a bowl with a fork
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 09:19:02 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
I still have a tree full of keitt, 2 NDM, 1 LZ, and 2 of a seedling tree. Still eating ST from the fridge.

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
My starfruit is dropping enough fruit that the animals are leaving my remaining Little Gems alone for the moment. Gave them a tug today and they were still firmly attached.
 I have a Maha Chanok in full bloom right now.That Maha tree never cropped before and it dropped its spring bloom due to drought.

johnb51

• View Profile
My starfruit is dropping enough fruit that the animals are leaving my remaining Little Gems alone for the moment. Gave them a tug today and they were still firmly attached.
 I have a Maha Chanok in full bloom right now.That Maha tree never cropped before and it dropped its spring bloom due to drought.
How many Little Gems are left, Tony?
John

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
There's a big Haden I go by fairly regularly that still has a few dozen fruit on it, but they are all about 40' up. Can't imagine there's much good left to eat on the fruit after the drop.

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
There's a big Haden I go by fairly regularly that still has a few dozen fruit on it, but they are all about 40' up. Can't imagine there's much good left to eat on the fruit after the drop.

Large Haden here stopped dropping mangoes back Early July, or maybe these aren’t hadens

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile

Large Haden here stopped dropping mangoes back Early July, or maybe these aren’t hadens

Haden are usually maturing much earlier than now as you described. I'm not saying it's impossible to have Haden still on your tree but It would be much more likely for it to be Kent mangos and not Haden at this time of the year in South Florida.

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
Three Little Gems are still hanging and I estimate they would stay on the tree another week if I don't pick them earlier. Yesterday we tried one that had come easily off the tree two weeks earlier and then was directly refrigerated as an experiment. It shriveled a bit and was soft but had no off flavors. Most mangoes develop increasingly nasty off flavors within a day or two of reaching a semisoft "overripe" status. This mango reaches its best eating state when it nears the texture of a soft peach with at least a portion of the flesh turning a darker orange.  (at least in my opinion)
 I think it can be added to the short list that can be refrigerated if nearly ripe for more than just a day or two with minimal loss of quality. One taster actually preferred the slightly shriveled fruit to one ripened off the tree on the counter indoors for a week.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
Re: Who still has mangos on the tree in Florida and what varieties are they?
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 10:53:30 AM »

Haden are usually maturing much earlier than now as you described. I'm not saying it's impossible to have Haden still on your tree but It would be much more likely for it to be Kent mangos and not Haden at this time of the year in South Florida.
Here's a pic of three that (mostly) survived the drop today. Really delicious, classic mango flavor with hints of coconut and fruit cocktail syrup. They get jelly-seeded pretty severely when they are ripe like this. The jelly seed along with the blush had me thinking they were Hadens, but they are also really large (some get cannonball-sized). Maybe they are Kents....

TonyinCC

• Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2020, 09:01:10 AM »
Anyone still have fruit on their trees? My last Little Gem held on the tree and came off at a touch on September 10th.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2020, 10:15:29 AM »
Anyone still have fruit on their trees? My last Little Gem held on the tree and came off at a touch on September 10th.
Yes, many Keitt mangos

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk