Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Can I grow Muscadine Grape in here ?.

(1/6) > >>

EvilFruit:
Hi,

I did some research and found that Muscadine Grape taste very much like Jaboticaba (jaboti-Vine  :P). Anyway, I have seen people growing figs and grape in here and I was wondering If the requirement of Muscadine is similar to them.

Thanks

Doglips:
They are a vine.  Treat the same as grapes.  They are big in the US south because many grape varieties get wiped out by Pierce's Disease, muscadines are not susceptible.  I prefer grapes to muscadines, but they can be good.

I wouldn't compare them to figs, different on so many levels.

gnappi:

--- Quote from: EvilFruit on February 14, 2015, 05:21:05 AM ---Hi,

I did some research and found that Muscadine Grape taste very much like Jaboticaba (jaboti-Vine  :P). Anyway, I have seen people growing figs and grape in here and I was wondering If the requirement of Muscadine is similar to them.

Thanks

--- End quote ---

I would say they have similarities to Jaboticaba, for sure. They don't need nearly as much water as jabo do. The muscadine is well suited to Florida where it's warmer year round than the rest of the U.S. I say you have nothing to lose trying them if you can grow grapes there.

zands:
Muscadines have  a thick skin that helps resist fungus in the humid South (USA)    Your Arab  Gulf climates being dry can grow the more often seen thin skin grape varieties which (my opinion) are usually superior to muscadines. I have muscadines growing because it is humid, wet and hot here in south Florida.

Can you even buy muscadine grape vines there? What kind of grape plants-vines do you find at your local nurseries? Double check but those are the ones that should grow well where you are. All I know is that some Arab countries or parts of countries have good grape climates like Muscat///

Muscat (grape) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscat_(grape)

The Muscat family of grapes include over 200 grape varieties belonging to the Vitis vinifera species that have been used in wine production and as raisin and table ...

History ·
    Origins of the name ... ·
    Closely related varieties ·
    Key varieties

EvilFruit:

--- Quote from: Doglips on February 16, 2015, 07:39:47 AM ---They are a vine.  Treat the same as grapes.  They are big in the US south because many grape varieties get wiped out by Pierce's Disease, muscadines are not susceptible.  I prefer grapes to muscadines, but they can be good.

I wouldn't compare them to figs, different on so many levels.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your input. I might give muscadine a try and see what happens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version