Temperate Fruit & Orchards > Temperate Fruit Discussion

Persimmon fruit question

(1/4) > >>

Plantinyum:
Hi, do i need to pick those persimmons from my trees to further ripen them, or should i let them experiense some frost? I think i have read somewhere that they ripen with the help of frosts??
By the way ,does anyone reccognise the varieties from the fruit pics ?? <br /> <br />

Tortuga:
This looks like a Fuyu variety. I have some myself. It is best to wait until they turn yellow and then orange. Once they have a small give to them when you squeeze them they are ready to be eaten. I enjoy them more soft then firm. If you pick them somewhat early they will still ripen in the sun over time

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: Tortuga on October 09, 2021, 09:26:40 AM ---This looks like a Fuyu variety. I have some myself. It is best to wait until they turn yellow and then orange. Once they have a small give to them when you squeeze them they are ready to be eaten. I enjoy them more soft then firm. If you pick them somewhat early they will still ripen in the sun over time

--- End quote ---
thanks, i still do not know if they are stringent type or not, the last two photos are of a different pwrsimmon variety, they are small, the shape reminds me kind of a square.
I will wait for them both to have their first fruits change colour, and will try them when still hard to know if they are astringent. I like persimmons that can be consumed still hard as apples, but am still pleased with my first homegrown ones,whichever those turn out to be....

Plantinyum:

--- Quote from: Plantinyum on October 09, 2021, 03:26:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: Tortuga on October 09, 2021, 09:26:40 AM ---This looks like a Fuyu variety. I have some myself. It is best to wait until they turn yellow and then orange. Once they have a small give to them when you squeeze them they are ready to be eaten. I enjoy them more soft then firm. If you pick them somewhat early they will still ripen in the sun over time

--- End quote ---
thanks, i still do not know if they are stringent type or not, the last two photos are of a different pwrsimmon variety, they are small, the shape reminds me kind of a square.
I will wait for them both to have their first fruits change colour, and will try them when still hard to know if they are astringent. I like persimmons that can be consumed while still hard ,like apples, but am still pleased with my first homegrown ones, whichever those turn out to be....

--- End quote ---

sc4001992:
Looks like a fuyu to me. That would be a non-astringent variety. So you need to wait until the fruit turns yellow before you eat it or it will not be sweet. Fuyu is hard like an apple so you will like it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version