Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 349939 times)

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #2025 on: May 31, 2021, 10:08:06 PM »
Often chelated mixes of micro-nutrients have Magnesium Sulfate and Boric Acid, neither of which is chelated, but usually work fine, for foliar sprays.  The pH of the soil is immaterial for foliar sprays.  For soil drenches, with micros, I imagine that Sodium Borate might work better, as far as not getting "tied up."
Har

mangoba

• Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: June 02, 2021, 09:12:24 AM »
Often chelated mixes of micro-nutrients have Magnesium Sulfate and Boric Acid, neither of which is chelated, but usually work fine, for foliar sprays.  The pH of the soil is immaterial for foliar sprays.  For soil drenches, with micros, I imagine that Sodium Borate might work better, as far as not getting "tied up."

I have to help out with a soil drench as I'm having problems with what appears to be the immobile nutrients, so it's mentally challenging me to think that newer leaves could benefit from Boron/calcium when fed to older leaves. How mobile are immobile nutrients Har? Thanks

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: June 04, 2021, 09:14:37 PM »
Well-supplied leaves will be less of a demand on sap passing by to the new growth.
Har

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: June 05, 2021, 09:25:19 AM »
Solubor (boron) and Keyplex 350DP are in my toolbox.  Boron should be applied about a month before flowering on most fruiting plants/trees/grapevines albeit it in very small amounts.  Avocados especially benefit from an application via the foliage.  Be sure and add a non ionic surfactant to your spray or you're wasting your time.  Will become rainfast as soon as it dries/sets.

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: June 10, 2021, 08:35:33 AM »
Trees with susceptibility to Mango Bacterial Black Spot are not consistent from one year to the next.  They can be terrible, one year, or two or three years in a row, and then clean up.
Har

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: June 10, 2021, 06:18:28 PM »
Trees with susceptibility to Mango Bacterial Black Spot are not consistent from one year to the next.  They can be terrible, one year, or two or three years in a row, and then clean up.

Depends on your pressures such as periods of constant rain. 

Highly recommend a foliar spray of Pristine, a systemic broad spectrum fungicide/bactericide, when disease pressures are high.  It will take care of your MBSBS, and much more.  We vineyard owners use this Aggie recommended product on many fruits and vines.  Have used it on mangos.   Pristine includes a "strobby".  I know of one very large commercial Fl. mango grower/seller that uses it.  His fruit is indeed "pristine".

1 - 4 with 4 having the highest protection.  Notice "black rot" and bunch rot ratings.

rainking430

• USA, Florida, Jupiter Farms
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: June 14, 2021, 05:09:02 PM »

Highly recommend a foliar spray of Pristine, a systemic broad spectrum fungicide/bactericide, when disease pressures are high.  It will take care of your MBSBS, and much more.  We vineyard owners use this Aggie recommended product on many fruits and vines.  Have used it on mangos.   Pristine includes a "strobby".  I know of one very large commercial Fl. mango grower/seller that uses it.  His fruit is indeed "pristine".

1 - 4 with 4 having the highest protection.  Notice "black rot" and bunch rot ratings.

I would love to get my hands on that but unfortunately I'm merely a hobbyist with only have a few trees, so I can't justify paying $400. I wish there was something sold in a smaller quantity that is just as effective. I prefer systemics and really like Organocide Plant Doctor, but I need something that can also tackle powdery mildew and MBBS (Plant Doctor says it only handles anthracnose in mangos).

Mark in Texas

• View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: June 15, 2021, 07:54:50 AM »
I would love to get my hands on that but unfortunately I'm merely a hobbyist with only have a few trees, so I can't justify paying $400. I wish there was something sold in a smaller quantity that is just as effective. I prefer systemics and really like Organocide Plant Doctor, but I need something that can also tackle powdery mildew and MBBS (Plant Doctor says it only handles anthracnose in mangos).

Do a group buy.  I split a jug with a friend probably 12 years ago.  Still have some left.   $329 on ebay.   
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402745533955?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=402745533955&targetid=882300791467&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9027556&poi=&campaignid=1669934603&mkgroupid=65058347419&rlsatarget=pla-882300791467&abcId=1123856&merchantid=6296724&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIysvY1MmZ8QIVPW1vBB3CywOREAQYBSABEgJyQvD_BwE

Jagmanjoe

• USA, Florida, Lakeland, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: June 15, 2021, 01:01:02 PM »

Not sure how it compares to Pristine but I have had some great success on my mango trees with Monterey LG3374 Complete Concentrate Fungicide & Bactericide which is available through Amazon in small quantities.  Wish I had some scientific analysis knowledge to compare for you.  Perhaps someone else has more knowledge for comparison and can chime in.

rainking430

• View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: June 16, 2021, 10:18:32 AM »
Not sure how it compares to Pristine but I have had some great success on my mango trees with Monterey LG3374 Complete Concentrate Fungicide & Bactericide which is available through Amazon in small quantities.  Wish I had some scientific analysis knowledge to compare for you.  Perhaps someone else has more knowledge for comparison and can chime in.

Thanks, I will look into it!

rainking430

• View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: June 16, 2021, 10:29:48 AM »
Har, I posted this in a new thread but hoping I can get your input on it. Someone suggested to me using composted manure on my mango trees. I'm a little skeptical. What do you think?

Guanabanus

• View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: June 16, 2021, 01:20:54 PM »
"Skeptical" is good.  I would only use manure compost, lightly, around a mango, if the mango looks severely Nitrogen deficient--- ratty, defoliating, dieback.
Har