Author Topic: F2 citrange winter hardiness trial  (Read 34918 times)

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
Re: F2 citrange winter hardiness trial
« Reply #350 on: June 03, 2021, 05:20:48 PM »
Here's a photo of a few Bishop citrandarin seedlings. Although one report indicated that the seedlings were nucellar, I see enough variation to indicate some zygotic seedlings.
Bishop citrandarin is a double flowered seedling of US 852. I found the fruit to be edible, or more accurately drinkable when diluted. The flavor is acid, yet sweet, rather intense with just a fleeting hint of Poncirus, the opposite of an aftertaste. The flavor is reminiscent of kumquat/mandarin and this is the lingering flavor, rather than Poncirus. The tree is reported to be hardy to 6 degrees F.

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 03, 2021, 05:36:44 PM »
@kumin What is Bishop Citrandarin? is it from Alan Bishop?

kumin

• USA PA 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 03, 2021, 05:50:41 PM »
Indeed, I believe eyeckr did the honors of naming the selection. The past Saturday I grafted 25 scions onto Poncirus rootstock, hopefully a number of them will succeed. As I wait for my trees to mature I'm selecting a group of potential pollen/seed partners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCyvolXNHCs
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 06:02:52 PM by kumin »

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 03, 2021, 06:45:14 PM »
Thanks for the link!
Nice to see that his research has fruited.
I did a bypass graft with 5Star on a Poncirus rootstock this spring the first flush is already as twice as strong as in the last years I will try that on other plants it might give immature plants also a push.

hardyvermont

• Anderson SC z 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 04, 2021, 11:36:25 AM »
Mikkel, this plant is a happy accident and is not a result of a breeding program.  Bishop Citrandarin was bought as US852.  However because it took years to fruit it is obviously a seedling.  When a small rooted cutting of US852 that I just got bears fruit it should be clearly evident if it is a zygotic plant or not by making a comparison.  Many flowers are double, which is probably not typical of US852.
Relatives enjoy the fruit, which led me to send it to eyeckr and kumin for evaluation.