Author Topic: My 8 years Clementine finally produced good set of nice fruits.  (Read 753 times)

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
My 8 years Clementine finally produced good set of nice fruits.
« on: December 27, 2020, 02:49:25 PM »
One of my two 8 year clementine trees gives a good set of nice fruits this year.   The other tree had flowers but no fruits.

Some years they had flowers but beard nothing or not even had flowers.
One year both had fruits with the seeds like pumelo seeds (both shape and size)
Whenever it get cross pollinated with other citrus, the fruits has the flavor of that citrus
One year they had seedless fruits but the ring is bumpy   

This years fruits:
The fruits are similar size as or slight smaller than satsuma and slightly sweeter than satsuma. 0 seeds were found in about 10 fruits tried.
It also has a richer taste/flavor than Satsuma which most people would like, not zing or tangy.
They have a thin and tight smooth ring but still easy to peel。 

Overall: They can produce nice fruits but it is a tree very hard to manage.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 05:37:44 PM by EricSC »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: My 8 years Clementine finally produced good set of nice fruits.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 09:21:46 PM »
Thank you for the pictures of your tree. I've spent some time looking at them.  Please tell what is your fertilizer program for your trees.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 11:00:11 PM »
Millet
I follow a very casual schedule which I spread some 21-7-14 and some Epson about every 2 months at the root base after removing the surface soil.   One problem is I only water them through small pipers by dripping at the 0.5 feet below the surface, so the fertilize may not get dissolved quickly.   A lot of fertilize may only get dissolved in winter-spring during which time CA has some rain.
And, I had a lot of problems with lea miner, thrips, mites, etc.  Just start to learn manage them.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 02:22:49 PM »
I just asked because the tree does look a little undernourished  Horticultural oil is 100% non toxic to animals and humans, and is even allowed in organic culture.  It kills mealy bug, scale, aphids, mites and aphids.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 12:09:41 AM »
Millet,

Although I planted them 7-8 years ago, I just gradually to learn how to better take care of them.   
SC sounds has many uncommon challenges for citrus: a weather that all bugs enjoys, with many casually cared citrus trees around as their home bases ready to hit out anytime.  Spider mites can explode in a blink of eyes in a week in those hot/dry August - October days.  And very expensive water fee plus 9-10 month rainless/cloudless days of low humidity with very intense sun shine.
With the learning form this site, hope the trees will be doing better.