Author Topic: Citrus pruning and soil mix options  (Read 2458 times)

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
Citrus pruning and soil mix options
« on: February 08, 2021, 09:02:52 AM »
Citrus are a very scraggly tree especially as they get bigger and leaf miners have their way with them. Is it safe to prune larger trees to get a more ball/vase shape?

Also, whats a good soil mix for a potted citrus tree that will remain potted?

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
Re: Citrus pruning and soil mix options
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 09:22:33 AM »
In terms of pruning, citrus bloom on new wood. Also, we usually only prune out crossing branches. You want plenty of canopy to protect trunk from sun scald. I’d ask why the tree is scraggly because in my native Manatee county FL experience, citrus when healthy are not scraggly but full and naturally rather rounded trees. Scraggly makes me think maybe it’s in deep shade or sick. Being in FL these days with greening disease, I am guessing you have bigger problems to worry about than pruning for a rounder shape. A photo would help in our deliberations. Best wishes.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 11:40:01 AM »
I agree with Citradia, .  Citrus might start out growing in a upwards pattern, but almost always end up in a round ball configuration. Fruit only develops on new wood, therefore pruning is pruning off fruit.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 01:01:44 PM »
I severely prune my trees and they seem to tolerate it well enough.  I get way too much fruit as it is, so I don't worry about the production loss.  You might.

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 08:05:09 AM »
So pruning is a go, Ill wait for the next cold front.

Potted soil mix doing some looking around I found this mix 50% mulch, 40% perlite, 10% peat. Mulch consisting of Pine fines(easy to get here) and the other two. Is that a good ratio, only potting a centennial kumquat in a corner of my new garden.

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 08:40:16 AM »
I'm also interested in the potting formula...the nursery where I buy my citrus plants plant them in straight clayey garden soil with some sand ....and the plants do good and fruit nice . And then I have a potted pomello in pine forest soil mixed with coconut soil maybe ,and it makes very small growth ...one friend bought two citruses from this nursery and transplanted them with garden soil only and the plants got twice as big in one season ....go figure ,maybe with citrus less is more, yet I am still cautious bout having them in such soil, seems cruel to me 😅

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »
I'm using something like 3:2:1 mulch:turface:peat moss  and it works great.

5:1:1 mulch:perlite:peat works fine too.   

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 11:14:38 AM »
I use 5-1-1 and or 5-2-1 (Bark, peat, perlite)  Plants grow fine, but does require little more frequent watering.  I am also doing an experiment with a new citrus tree.  I am growing the tree in 100 percent pumice. Pumice holds more water and more air then does other lava rocks such as scoria.  Further differences, lava is a rock, pumice is a volcanic glass. Both contain a multitude of open crevasses/tunnels that holds extra air/water throughout the particles.  I just started with this new medium, so it will be a while to determine it value to growth and health of a citrus tree.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 11:44:09 AM by Millet »

JosyPaigan

• Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 08:25:49 AM »
Thanks for the information, I will be careful the next time I will prune my citrus tree. After reading this post I decided to inform more about citrus trees, how to correctly prune them, and generally take care of them. I have 3 citrus trees at my parents' house that are in very bad shape, so I thought that bringing them back to life will be a nice hobby during the isolation. I have already bought the necessary soil, also some chemicals. The last thing I need to find is a good pair of garden shares, I like very much this model https://www.hausandgarten.com/products/haus-garten-classic-titanium-bypass-pruning-shears, but I want firstly to consult with an expert. Do you guys know this model of shares?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 06:36:09 AM by JosyPaigan »

bsalta

• USA, Charleston, SC, Zone 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 04:09:19 PM »
I use 5-1-1 and or 5-2-1 (Bark, peat, perlite)  Plants grow fine, but does require little more frequent watering.  I am also doing an experiment with a new citrus tree.  I am growing the tree in 100 percent pumice. Pumice holds more water and more air then does other lava rocks such as scoria.  Further differences, lava is a rock, pumice is a volcanic glass. Both contain a multitude of open crevasses/tunnels that holds extra air/water throughout the particles.  I just started with this new medium, so it will be a while to determine it value to growth and health of a citrus tree.

What kind of bark?  Would pine bark nuggets work?  This mix has pretty large pieces so not sure if they should be smaller.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-cu-ft-Pine-Bark-Nuggets-660-1030/202288835

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2021, 08:43:32 PM »
Bsalta, the bark in your picture should be fine.