Author Topic: Seeds from Orri Orange germinated  (Read 976 times)

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
Seeds from Orri Orange germinated
« on: June 29, 2021, 06:24:22 PM »
Last month, I bought about 10 Orri oranges and found 4-5 very small seeds.
After one ~month in pot, I found two of them germinated as the two photos below.   Hopefully, they can grow into trees.   So, we will see:
1, How many years will they grow into a reasonable size tree?
2, Will they bear the same fruits (like Orri), or something else?
3, I may try to graft them to a mature tree to see if it can be accelerated. 

W.

• United States, Alabama, 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Seeds from Orri Orange germinated
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 08:06:59 PM »
Congrats on the seed germination.

I am surprised I do not hear about more people germinating citrus seeds, particularly from less common varieties or ones usually seedless. I do it all the time to help grow my citrus collection. I have a couple of Juicy Crunch Tangerine seedlings from seeds I germinated last winter.

That being said, who knows exactly what type of fruit your seeds will produce or when they will start fruiting? As to the latter, I would guess six to eight years. According to what I read about the variety, Orri oranges are hybrids of Temple tangor (or maybe Orah mandarin) and Kinnow mandarin. Those varieties are themselves hybrids. Orris produce no seeds when planted in solid blocks but when planted near other varieties, will produce seeds, probably due to the Kinnow parentage. Its Kinnow parentage might also give it some resistance to HLB. But, whatever it was pollinated with might give it some traits that Orri does not have.

You never can tell; though, your seedlings might turn out to be the greatest tasting, most HLB resistant new citrus varieties ever developed. Or, they will probably just be average, good tasting oranges.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 09:39:13 PM »
Short answer: based on the picture of the sprout it will not be an Orri.

Long answer: There is only one sprout from the seed, so I assume that means it was monoembryonic (only one embryo in the seed). Polyembryonic (multiple sprouts/embryos per seed) citrus comes true from seed because many (if not all) of the embryos are genetic clones of the mother tree. Seeds of monoembryonic citrus are the result of out crossing and will different from the mother.

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 11:24:55 PM »
Galatians522, and W.,

Appreciate your valuable info.   Will be patient to see what we can get.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 02:34:55 AM »
I found some seeds in the 4 dozen Sumo/Shiranui fruits purchased from the market and grew the seeds. I hear that Sumo seeds will come true to parent so I hope my seedling trees have fruits that tastes just like the parent sumo. My two seedlings are 1 foot and 4 feet tall now so maybe in a few more years I might get some fruits. The seedling sumo grows much more vigorous than the Sumo grafted branch I have.

I have many true Sumo grafts on my trees and I did notice that there seems to be two types of sumo variety as far as the leaves and branch growth habits. Fruits on both types seem to taste identical.

Eric, I just found a few seeds in my Shasta Gold fruit last season and it's about the same size as your seedling but the leaf on the Shasta Gold is much wider/bigger.

I had a Chinese pomelo graft that fruits but the large fruit didn't taste good at all so I got some of the seeds and grew them out, cut down the grafted branch. Now that seedling pomelo tree (12 ft tall) is one of my best tasting pomelo I grow, tastes is right up there in top 3 compared to the varieties from CCPP. So you never know your seedling may turn out to have excellent tasting fruits. I just let the pomelo seedling (Roy's) grow without grafting it on older tree and in 7yrs it started to have these nice large fruits.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 04:03:32 AM by sc4001992 »

EricSC

• san diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 02:00:48 PM »
sc4001992,

It is really encouraging.   It will be interesting to see what we get.