Author Topic: Orange Sherbert warm winter Bloom issue  (Read 893 times)

tractorparts

• Bay lake
    • View Profile
Orange Sherbert warm winter Bloom issue
« on: January 15, 2022, 08:39:33 PM »
Has anyone observed an issue with orange sherbet bloom with the warm winter trend that seems to be the new Norm
The reason I ask is I have an orange sherbert and it has completely done a the gtowth flush instead of bloom I also have a lemon meringue of the same age under the same maintenance schedule. It has done a perfect bloom no mix whatsoever. Just want to compare notes with others hopefully this is just a fluke.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Orange Sherbert warm winter Bloom issue
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 08:41:10 AM »
We are getting some cool/cold weather now and hopefully the rest of the
mangos will push in the next couple weeks?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 08:43:59 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised.
Ppk is a SE Asian mango so they probably don't need much in the way cold stimulus.
Once the genes gets mixed with varieties that required more stimulus to flower it's likely the offspring will need a little more stimulus too.

Also age of the tree matters. Some of my more mature trees have become more regular over the years

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 11:00:06 AM »
My small tree is in full bloom and I already see pinhead-sized fruit set.
Brandon

DG791

• Naples, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 02:05:33 PM »
Our tree flushed growth this year too.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 09:11:32 PM »
We have a number of Orange Sherbet trees with at least significant  partial blooms already.

I’m not sure that it’s any more difficult to initiate than PPK/Lemon Meringue. But Burmese mangos aren’t from the same climate as mangos from other areas of SE Asia including Thailand. The geographic area they’re grown in commercially there actually receives fairly cool temperatures so they’re really subtropical mangos.

OS of course was selected in south Florida’s climate during a time period when our winters tended to be cooler. From what I’ve seen I wouldn’t call it an easy bloomer but it’s also not on the same scale as stuff like Sweet Tart for example, which requires some serious arm twisting to bloom in southeast Florida.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 09:07:53 AM »
We have a number of Orange Sherbet trees with at least significant  partial blooms already.

I’m not sure that it’s any more difficult to initiate than PPK/Lemon Meringue. But Burmese mangos aren’t from the same climate as mangos from other areas of SE Asia including Thailand. The geographic area they’re grown in commercially there actually receives fairly cool temperatures so they’re really subtropical mangos.

OS of course was selected in south Florida’s climate during a time period when our winters tended to be cooler. From what I’ve seen I wouldn’t call it an easy bloomer but it’s also not on the same scale as stuff like Sweet Tart for example, which requires some serious arm twisting to bloom in southeast Florida.

Thanks for the response Alex,
Didn't realize the area where its from in Burma was more of a subtropic zone

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk