Author Topic: Video: Grafting jaboticabas for the New Year  (Read 845 times)

shilohtech

• USA, Hawaii/Oahu, Mililani, 12a
    • View Profile
    • Grow Tropical Fruits Youtube Page
Video: Grafting jaboticabas for the New Year
« on: January 16, 2022, 04:33:49 PM »
Had a grafting session to close out 2021. Watch me struggle to get my cuts right. Thanks for watching and Subscribe to support my channel and to follow along with my experiments.
Nice and fresh scions provided by Bush2Beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP751PbN2oA

tobineely

• Mansfield, MA
    • View Profile
Re: Video: Grafting jaboticabas for the New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 10:13:50 PM »
Had a grafting session to close out 2021. Watch me struggle to get my cuts right. Thanks for watching and Subscribe to support my channel and to follow along with my experiments.
Nice and fresh scions provided by Bush2Beach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP751PbN2oA
How old are the sabra seedlings you used in the trays

shilohtech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 04:19:33 PM »
The seedlings in plug trays are a little more than 1 year old. The bigger ones in individual pots are probably about 2 years old.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 07:51:23 PM »
Shiloh, you've made some nice video's for sure and I've enjoyed the other one's but this one showing your grafting technique scared me for you!! As a long time grafter might I mention to you that a better way to control your grafting knife would be to hold your knife hand against your stomach and move the scion with other hand. That way your knife will not be thrusting into your body part's ;) just a suggestion keep on keep en on  :D 8) 

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 01:41:44 PM »
Nice video Shiloh. Hope they all take for you.

Robert, I lament that my preferred grafting motion where I have the best control is cutting towards me. I do not feel comfortable cutting away from myself and my cuts aren’t clean.
It’s a bummer because I don’t want to teach people to cut towards themselves.
 Some people I have worked with are not comfortable around knives and power tools and it feels like teaching whittling sometimes.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 01:50:52 PM »
Looking good, love seeing jabo grafts in particular. One thing I've been doing is putting my finger right over top of the rootstock on the top of the blade and that prevents it from zipping down into your left hand holding the graft. It'll hit your finger and only go the depth of the blade. Works good.

shilohtech

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 05:20:02 PM »
Shiloh, you've made some nice video's for sure and I've enjoyed the other one's but this one showing your grafting technique scared me for you!! As a long time grafter might I mention to you that a better way to control your grafting knife would be to hold your knife hand against your stomach and move the scion with other hand. That way your knife will not be thrusting into your body part's ;) just a suggestion keep on keep en on  :D 8)

I understand, I will point out that there is a camera (phone) mounted on a tripod in-between me and my knife. So if I do manage to slip entirely and cut toward my body the camera and tripod will catch the blade. I would do it other ways it is just hard to show on video.

Besides that, the cringe factor makes for some exciting drama in an otherwise extremely boring video.

shilohtech

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 05:32:30 PM »
Looking good, love seeing jabo grafts in particular. One thing I've been doing is putting my finger right over top of the rootstock on the top of the blade and that prevents it from zipping down into your left hand holding the graft. It'll hit your finger and only go the depth of the blade. Works good.

I often do that as well, but when I am doing it on video I don't because it blocks the view of the camera. I also am being very careful to only apply a minimal amount of constant pressure to split the rootstock. It is the micro sized roostocks that are the most difficult to split down the middle and the easiest for the blade to slip and cut me. The distracting nature of filming while grafting often leads to me struggling more than if I graft without filming. It is surprising how difficult it is to film and demonstrate it while being in frame and in focus at the same time and then on top of that trying to talk about what you are doing while in the act.

I appreciate you guys watching and your suggestions. I am by no means an expert. I've only been grafting a little over 1 year now.
Thanks again!

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 07:13:46 PM »
OK man I'll give you the cringe factor for sure. Be safe all when your grafting but we all have to pay sometimes to the grafting Gods ;) 8)

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 10:56:53 PM »
Here's my 2 cents advise for new/beginning grafters. I have learned to cut away from me, not that hard to do, but if you must cut towards you then I would suggest you use a glove (Home Depot special) on the hand holding the piece/scion. When you cut the rootstock, do the same thing, put the glove on the hand holding the rootstock when you cut into it. A long time ago when I was grafting at dawn on a ladder cutting the citrus rootstock to do a cleft graft in a hurry, the knife cut the small rootstock branch off and I cut my hand (not bad, but bleeding), that's when I said use a glove idiot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk