Author Topic: Breadfruit growing well in TN!  (Read 805 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Breadfruit growing well in TN!
« on: August 03, 2021, 08:56:13 PM »
Just wanted to share this with the forum. In just a little over a year my breadfruit tree has moved from a 3 gallon pot to a 25 gallon one! Never thought it would grow so fast here.
Picture of when I got the tree may of 2020.

massive root system!

repotting the tree to a 25 gallon pot - august 2021

Pictures of tree now 1 year and 3 months later in a 25 gallon.

Although this tree would have grown 10x faster in a tropical climate, I am still amazed at how well it has grown here.

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
Re: Breadfruit growing well in TN!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 11:15:34 PM »
Congrats!

A little bit unrelated, but I noticed you were in the same zone as me, so I'm curious what tropical fruits you've been able to keep in pots. So far I'm doing annonas, but after looking around on this forum for a bit, I'm trying to expand into other types of fruit aswell.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 09:42:15 PM »
Congrats!

A little bit unrelated, but I noticed you were in the same zone as me, so I'm curious what tropical fruits you've been able to keep in pots. So far I'm doing annonas, but after looking around on this forum for a bit, I'm trying to expand into other types of fruit aswell.
Thanks! Currently most of my plants are in pots excluding the ones that are in ground in my greenhouse (a few mangoes, guava, jackfruit, lychee, abiu, jaboticaba, and a few others. Everything else is in a pot. All the plants are doing fine, but after they reach a certain size, it is hard to move them around and would rather put them in ground. Miracle fruit, Eugenias (araza, grumichama, pitanga, pitangatuba), strawberry tree, jaboticabas, and annonas (especially sugar apple) do really well in pots in my experience. Mangoes, artocarpus (jackfruit, breadfruit), wax jambu, starfruit and the other various trees do great in pots, but eventually need to go in ground or a huge pot (50+gallons) as they keep on growing -  or you could keep them in smaller containers with consistent pruning. The breadfruit which I just re potted would do great in ground but my greenhouse gets too cold for it so it has to stay in a pot. You can click on my profile and see a somewhat up to date list of what I grow.

Polypterus

• Smyrna Georgia, 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 09:50:41 PM »
I appreciate the thorough list, as it really helps me understand what I should try to grow! I'm currently doing annonas and garcinias, but I may look into jaboticabas now that you mention them. I'm also planning to try ice cream beans, but want to do a tad more reading on them first.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk