Author Topic: Help identifying a Sapotaceae, ideas on what it might be  (Read 688 times)

JoshuaTilaranCR

• Los Angeles, Tilaran, Guanacaste, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
Help identifying a Sapotaceae, ideas on what it might be
« on: August 22, 2021, 06:25:14 PM »
I bought this tree last year from my wife's uncle who has a garden center. He called it "Sapotillo" and I thought it was a níspero or sapodilla so I brought it home and planted it. It's a grafted tree, not a seedling so I thought it must be something good. It grew well last year but I nipped the tips of the leads and set it back a little. The side branches didn't have as much vigor as the leads. It made it through the dry and windy season like a champ and as it started to rain I was watching the growing tips for flowers which never came. One day I realized that it was flowering on last year's growth and it's already out on about 100 flowers. It looks like there might have been a couple fruit set so far but they're still very small. The plants leaves are much smaller than a Mamey Zapote which I think would rule that out. I just noticed on the small fruits that they're a little hairy,not sure if that might give a lead as to what it might be. I know with what I'm posting I can't get a name but I'm hoping for at least a lead as what to expect. Here are some pictures.

Cop

• Mazatlán,Sinaloa,México
    • View Profile
Re: Help identifying a Sapotaceae, ideas on what it might be
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2021, 06:33:48 PM »
Canistel

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 07:18:36 PM »
I don’t think it’s canistel. To me it looks more like Mamey sapote but I’m not sure. I would think that it would be worth trying to track it back to the source.
Not that many sapotaceae are grafted in CR. If somebody is grafting rare, native sapotes it would be good to know about.
I’m waiting on a sapote from Bocas del Toro to produce so it can be properly identified.
Peter

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 07:39:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Peter I'll ask him if he remembers who he got it from and try to get ahold of them. The only reason I don't think it's Mamey Zapote is the size of the leaf, they're much smaller and look more like a sapodilla leaf. We'll see in the future if the fruits take and stay on the tree. Are all these fruits hairy when they're just forming?

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 07:52:10 PM »
The leaves remind me of cinnamon apple (pouteria hypoglauca).

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2021, 09:43:22 PM »
That fruit sounds pretty good but I don't think it could be that, if the pictures I saw of the flowers are correct they're different than what this tree has. I'll get a better picture of the leaves tomorrow morning.

Is there a small mamey zapote?

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2021, 10:27:41 PM »
That fruit sounds pretty good but I don't think it could be that, if the pictures I saw of the flowers are correct they're different than what this tree has. I'll get a better picture of the leaves tomorrow morning.

Is there a small mamey zapote?

I am no expert on sapote, but Green Sapote is sometimes called baby mamey, and they are closely related. Maybe that is what you have.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 06:09:24 AM by Galatians522 »

JoshuaTilaranCR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2021, 11:45:47 PM »
I was thinking and hoping it would be that actually! Like I said, hopefully some fruit will take and I'll be able to confirm what it is soon!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk