Author Topic: Best SourSop Variety for Location  (Read 10712 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Best SourSop Variety for Location
« on: June 15, 2014, 01:39:19 AM »
Right now TT is selling the grafted SourSop (Guanabana) varieties 'Miami' and 'Homestead.' Both varieties are listed as very productive and large sized. I sure wish they had been available back then, at the time when I got my Guanabana seedling from PIN.

With the variety names like 'Miami' (my location) and 'Homestead,' they sure sound like they are the best quality grafted SourSop cultivars for this location.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
Re: Best SourSop Variety for Location
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:11:32 AM »
Leo from the pics that came with the Email form TOP, looks Like Lara's place. He is growing them all there and probably less expensive and you can pick up.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 05:15:39 PM »
Carlos, that's great news that Lara Farms has them too. I knew that Lara had grafted SourSop, what I didn't realize was that they were the same varieties. Since these SourSop varieties, 'Miami' and 'Homestead' are grafted, they will produce fruit much quicker that my PIN seedling. I suspect that if I were to get the 'Miami' variety, that it will be more productive and produce larger fruit than my seedling; thanks for the heads up.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 05:20:18 PM »
I went by Lara recently he had them all.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 11:48:17 PM »
Awesome Carlos, thank you for that news. I hope I can get more info. on the quality specs. of each variety so that I can make up my mind on which of the two varieties to choose. If I were to go just by the pictures and description on the TT website, I'm more inclined to get the 'Homestead' because it looks larger and according to TT: "Growers say "it produces more fruit than leaves on a tree"."

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 01:10:58 AM »
Awesome Carlos, thank you for that news. I hope I can get more info. on the quality specs. of each variety so that I can make up my mind on which of the two varieties to choose. If I were to go just by the pictures and description on the TT website, I'm more inclined to get the 'Homestead' because it looks larger and according to TT: "Growers say "it produces more fruit than leaves on a tree"."

I got a bridge I'd like to sell you...also, some land in sunny Florida, and a magic hat that will protect you from evil spirits  ;)
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »
So far, I haven't seen any data which suggests that different selections of Soursop adapt better to different areas, but that is theoretically possible.

A tree with more leaves than fruit will have bad-tasting or tasteless fruits, and is probably about to die.
Har

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 06:51:20 PM »
I don't know who is telling you that nonsense but I have spoken with him about both varieties
And I never heard that one variety or the other is prefered. Maybe TT be growing some good ganja
Cause all those trees originate from Lara's and thT is fact!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 08:06:10 PM »
lol TT selling new variety callled "ganjabanana"

valued for it's abundant medicinal value, rather than it's fruits.

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 08:53:17 PM »
Just got the urge to watch old r
Cheech & Chong Movies ;)..

Ed..
Zone 10

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 11:55:03 PM »
 ;D

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »
Leo the Guanabanas that I have planted from seeds grow super fast ! within 1 year they have gotten past 5-6 Ft up here in NE Florida, I imagine at your place they will thrive !

Good luck !
Zone 10

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 11:56:12 PM »
Ed, you're freaking me out with that awesome 'giant guanabana' seedling(s) growth. It sure sounds like you have something very special going on there, you sure know what you're doing, congrats. I hope the good news keep coming and that they will produce fruit abundantly and quickly, thanks again for the great update/news.

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »
I was just at TT earlier, they are having a sale on all their plants. I bought a lemon merengue and Philippine mango and grabbed a small "Miami" grafted soursop. I have to say, their mango trees look really good and they have more that what they have available on their website. The bigger grafted soursops are just too expensive for me.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 10:30:48 PM »
I hear 'ya.' But, wow, congrats on getting a grafted 'Miami' soursop, you have me wondering how come you chose that one over the 'Homestead,' just curious. If I remember correctly, it'll set fruit in one year.

BTW, someone, above, said something to the effect that if someone believes that there could be more fruit on a 'SourSop' tree than leaves, that he/she has some ice to sell in the N. Pole. Then, I suggest that person can keep the ice, because it is common knowledge that in some fruit trees like hogplum/ciruela, annona and yes, SourSop, this is a common occurrence since they drop all/most of their leaves every year. And, the tree can be full of developed fruit before the leaves start to show or are very small size leaves in comparison to fruit size. Therefore, the TT statement that a SourSop can have more fruit on the tree than leaves is nothing to get all worked up about because it is a common occurrence.

Hollywood

• Zone 10a - Stuart, FL
    • USA, Stuart, FL 33020, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »

This is a neighbor's tree. I don't k ow what variety, but it seems to have a good ratio of fruit to leaves.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2014, 05:15:49 PM »
True (thank you Katie) and sometimes the effect can be even more pronounced/dramatic.

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2014, 05:48:48 PM »
I picked a smaller/cheaper Miami. I would have picked homestead if they had a smaller stock. I saw the  bigger trees they have. I still think that the smaller trees will get that big in a year's time. It's just too expensive for me, even when discounted.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 04:19:54 PM »
jegpg1, something tells me you'll be nicely rewarded with fruit from your grafted 'Miami' soursop, just make sure to protect it during low/cold winter temperatures. The method to do this that so far I like the most is the one of erecting 4 wood poles around the tree and then covering it with a tarp.

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 08:58:36 PM »
Received my 5-7 Gallons Homestead SourSop from TT today. It looks very healthy!

jegpg1

• Punta Gorda, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 09:31:33 PM »
Wow! Congrats on your purchase. Hope you got it when it was on sale. I saw a bunch of those when I was there. Mine is just one main trunk without side branches. What would you do come winter? They do not take cold weather well. I am worried about mine, I plan to use heat lamps and cloth cover if the temp gets too cold this coming winter.

Is that a small jackfruit next to it?

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »
Thanks! I ordered mine a few days before the promotion. However, they haven't shipped my plant at the time the promotion was going on. So, I called them up, and they were able to apply the discount on my order. Very glad they did. I also ordered a Golden Nugget Jackfruit. It's a 1-gallon, too small. I will keep them inside my heated greenhouse during winter. I hope they will be be fine.

Tuan

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 11:28:06 PM »
Thanks! I ordered mine a few days before the promotion. However, they haven't shipped my plant at the time the promotion was going on. So, I called them up, and they were able to apply the discount on my order. Very glad they did. I also ordered a Golden Nugget Jackfruit. It's a 1-gallon, too small. I will keep them inside my heated greenhouse during winter. I hope they will be be fine.

Tuan

That is one beautiful looking SourSop.

My experience with SourSop has been that it's fairly quick to fruit from seed. I know that your 'Homestead' SourSop is grafted and it will probably begin to set fruit in about a year. But, what I'm trying to say is, that when you do get ripe fruit from the 'Homestead,' you could collect the seeds from the fruit and plant all of them at your location, if you or someone else have the space.

From my research, I've noticed that new cultivars/varieties are often seedlings from quality grafted parental fruit trees. I totally believe that a seedling with the right genetics, will be able to produce quality fruit on a regular, yearly basis and be immune from the cold temperatures, in the same way that Japanese persimmon produces fruit in the middle of the winter/snow season; Zands has posted some pictures of Japanes persimmon trees that are full of fruit and in the middle of a snow storm, truly amazing!

It's very exciting that you got the 'Homestead' SourSop. I'm definitely looking into getting it also. Best of luck with it in getting lots of fruit, seeds and propagation.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 08:54:58 AM »
Wow Tuan, that's a nice purchase.  If you get a chance you should take some pics of what's new growing in your greenhouse.  I'm closer to Annapolis, and the farmer's coop get's some tropicals sometime.  I'll keep you informed.  It's only an hour away. :)

Tuantropical

• Fairfax, Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »
As of December 2014, after a summer.