Author Topic: The Squirrels Are Gone  (Read 7015 times)

JeffDM

• USA, San Diego, Ca. 92129. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
The Squirrels Are Gone
« on: August 24, 2014, 01:03:06 PM »
For the first time since moving into our house in 1997 I haven't seen a ground squirrel in almost a month.
I can only hope this continues.
I don't know whether I should be thanking that big hawk that was hanging around all summer or the little dogs on either side of our yard.
I got about 20 squirrels with the Rat Zapper this spring and actually bought another one to protect the papayas and peaches.  Then they were gone.
I'm still in shock.
We have never been without ground squirrels attacking our plants, digging in all our patio pots, stealing our oranges, ravaging our tomatoes and tunneling into our back slope.
I feel blessed, but I'm totally perplexed.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: The Squirrels Are Gone
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 03:35:18 PM »
For the first time since moving into our house in 1997 I haven't seen a ground squirrel in almost a month.
I can only hope this continues.
I don't know whether I should be thanking that big hawk that was hanging around all summer or the little dogs on either side of our yard.
I got about 20 squirrels with the Rat Zapper this spring and actually bought another one to protect the papayas and peaches.  Then they were gone.
I'm still in shock.
We have never been without ground squirrels attacking our plants, digging in all our patio pots, stealing our oranges, ravaging our tomatoes and tunneling into our back slope.
I feel blessed, but I'm totally perplexed.

What kind of squirrel bait are you using in the zapper?
Does it have an AC adapter by now? At Amazon some complain that fresh batteries are needed or the animal just gets  a shock.
I think most credit goes to the zapper. You did in two generations of squirrels. If you remove zappers the squirrel population will rebuild. Just my guesses.....

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 04:00:54 PM »
I use shelled peanuts for bait in the Rat Zapper and it will last a long time on a fresh set (4) of D cell batteries.
Don't think there's an AC adapter.
I wish I could take full credit for eradicating the squirrels, but I think the hawk and a few other predators deserve honorable mention.
Haven't lost a single cherry tomato to a squirrel this season - I'm in backyard garden heaven.

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:05:22 PM »
I jinxed myself.
I spoke too soon.
After a month or so I had to brag and less than an hour later there was a ground squirrel chomping on my tomatoes.
The Rat Zapper has been deployed and the watches have been set.
 :'(

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 08:12:14 PM »
I jinxed myself.
I spoke too soon.
After a month or so I had to brag and less than an hour later there was a ground squirrel chomping on my tomatoes.
The Rat Zapper has been deployed and the watches have been set.
 :'(

I've found that happens all too often, especially with squirrels.  My peach and pawpaw trees still have all their fruit, but as they're getting close to ripening it is always a race with the squirrels.  35 of the tree rats relocated in the last 2 months; at least they seem to like peanut butter better than unripe fruit.  Now that I've posted that my peach and pawpaw fruits are intact, squirrels will be swarming my yard-- I think they're starting to read the forum to see where the good pickings are!

Kevin

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:46:36 PM »
Jeff any particular way you set up the Zapper?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 04:43:01 PM »
Jeff....you ARE talking ground squirrels and not TREE squirrels, yes?
Our ground squirrels out here (in Palm Springs) haven't really made
inroads into people's yards.  Then tend to like dry washes and rocky
places here...

But don't you have tree squirrels there as well?  And aren't they much more
destructive than ground squirrels?  That's what I had when I lived in
L.A. and they drove me crazy for all the fruit and veggies they ruined....

Gary

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 04:10:29 PM »
Jeff....you ARE talking ground squirrels and not TREE squirrels, yes?
Our ground squirrels out here (in Palm Springs) haven't really made
inroads into people's yards.  Then tend to like dry washes and rocky
places here...

But don't you have tree squirrels there as well?  And aren't they much more
destructive than ground squirrels?  That's what I had when I lived in
L.A. and they drove me crazy for all the fruit and veggies they ruined....

Gary

I saw a tree squirrel at the San Diego Zoo once, but all the other ones I've encountered have been those nasty ground squirrels that dig holes everywhere.  Fortunately, the ground squirrel I saw the other day has not been back and I'm still squirrel free.
Most of the ground squirrels that infested the area around my yard were attracted by neighbors feeding the birds and then when I moved in and tried to grow vegetables it got even worse.

Nisp66

• US, SoCal, Glendora, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 07:34:55 PM »
Has anyone tried any of those sonic spikes used to deter gophers like Bonide Molemax? I saw some at Home Depot and is suppose to work on squirrels also by emitting a sound every 30 seconds to deter them. Been thinking about giving them a try to get rid of squirrels.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 03:20:40 PM »
Jeff,
Which Rat Zapper do you have? There are several listed on Amazon. I'm looking for the highest powered one!  ;D BTW, the description of the zapper states that rats have the ability to restart their heart. WTH? Dracula rats?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:23:23 PM by NewGen »

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 05:25:14 PM »
Jeff,
Which Rat Zapper do you have? There are several listed on Amazon. I'm looking for the highest powered one!  ;D BTW, the description of the zapper states that rats have the ability to restart their heart. WTH? Dracula rats?

I've got the old style silver one which I think they still sell - it has the biggest dimensions which makes it good for ground squirrels.

By the way, the rat that got zapped in it last night sure didn't restart his heart. :)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 06:21:36 PM »
JeffDM, have you had instances where other animals besides squirrels getting zapped n killed by the Zapper? eg lizzards.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Nisp66

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »
Just ordered the Scarecrow motion sprinkler. Lets see if this thing scares the squirrels

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 04:58:56 PM »
NISP66 - I know for me the scarecrow thingy did keep away raccoons!
Be careful of the hose connection point.  Adjust the water pressure on the
hose shutoff valve to cover just the distance you want.  The more pressure
you have on the whole apparatus, the sooner something is going to start
leaking or burst - that's its greatest weakness.  Also, adjust your radial sweep
on the scarecrow to again, cover just the width of the area you want.  Keep a
good eye on it...and do turn it off if you are going to be around for while.....

And you WILL forget it is on one day and get sprayed yourself.  So you'll see
how effective it is!

Good luck - Gary

Nisp66

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 05:55:18 PM »
These are very good tips Gary. I will keep them in mind.

Thanks

JeffDM

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »
JeffDM, have you had instances where other animals besides squirrels getting zapped n killed by the Zapper? eg lizzards.

Because I leave a few peanut pieces just inside the Rat Zapper to help lure the squirrels in birds have occasionally helped themselves, but only once did a bird actually go inside and get zapped.
Never had a lizard get zapped.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 04:05:09 PM »
My rat zapper has zapped 3 squirrels, 2 in the last week. A couple of green macadamia nuts on the outside and a peanut on the inside...ZAP!!!

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 08:47:16 PM »
too bad about them eating your fruits. on the upside, I'm sure they must taste super ono! 

I know the wild boar that raid the guava, mac nut orchards taste unreal. my cousin feed for 8 months a herd of pigs on stone cookies from mountain view bakery and barrels of papayas.  trapped 'em all and had a wonder luau. meat was heavenly. 
 :)

goosteen

• Los Angeles CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 11:55:57 PM »
Has anyone tried any of those sonic spikes used to deter gophers like Bonide Molemax? I saw some at Home Depot and is suppose to work on squirrels also by emitting a sound every 30 seconds to deter them. Been thinking about giving them a try to get rid of squirrels.

I tried one, was a waist of money.  Squirrel dug all around it, and it was annoying. 

Now I have Owl boxes.  This years I have 2 ground squirrels digging holes, I need to kill them before they do damage...  Last year I had zero.  But I also used to scar the crows away by shooting pellets at them when they flew over my house.  I have a theory, that when you get rid of the crows, more predatory birds come in and eat the ground squirrels.  But don't take my word for it as I'm biased, because I hate crows, but like hawks and owls.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2015, 07:19:14 AM »
Jeff,

I've got the old style silver one which I think they still sell - it has the biggest dimensions which makes it good for ground squirrels.

By the way, the rat that got zapped in it last night sure didn't restart his heart. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Rat-Zapper-Ultra-Rodent-RZU001/dp/B00CM859OA
AMAZON link for this with 300+ reviews. Can be bought elsewhere etc
Amazon image:

Many rat zappers reviewed here http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dlawngarden&field-keywords=Rat%20Zapper

Direct from manufacturer more info on the two types rat zappers they make
http://www.ratzapper.org/

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 07:20:46 AM by zands »

treefrog

• peace, love, and guavas!
    • jefferson county, fl (panhandle) 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2015, 11:36:20 AM »
the commercial pecan groves around here use "tomcat" rodenticide:

https://worldwidejanitor.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=776&cpath=161_166&gclid=CMKzvO2S-8QCFYwdgQodx7kAXA&zenid=4e23d59f7a4a72e83c61ad42679a29ce

it works really well.

i have no squirrels, don't want any, and don't expect to have any.

treefrog land and cattle company

Samu

• North Tustin, So. California, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 03:47:09 PM »
Jeff, encouraged by your success, I went for the Rat Zapper (Ultra) from Amazon; and after making a weather protection enclosure for it, I put it out in the yard, hanging on the side of wood fence.

First night, nada.
2nd night: hey, I saw red LED blinking. Sure enough, that is the tail of a rat I saw! I suspect, more rats and squirrels will frequent my yard as my trees start producing fruits.
I used to use traps made by "Have-a-heart", they worked great, the trouble is--for me--after trapping them alive, then I need to go find a location to release them...; but using Rat Zapper; just tossed it in the bag and into the waste bin...

Just wondering Jeff, how long (or how many zaps) that 4 D size batteries last you? Thanks!

My first victim, baited with cut cheddar cheese:

Sam

SamiC

• Bel Air, CA 10b Elevation 1285ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »
My local 99 cent store sells large rat traps, with a little peanut butter works like a charm.
Always looking for Mango budwood!!

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 05:02:41 PM »
Use a variety of traps and trapping positions and baits, because some rats always wise up.

Rodenticides often end up killing cats, hawks, and owls.
Har

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 06:12:02 PM »
I lived on a salt water island for some 20 years. When I moved in I had a terrible problem with rats. One of my clients was an exterminating company and they confided that the best rat trap bait was slim jim sausages. Well, I got DOZENS of adults and when the traps started springing without a kill, I added mouse traps for the baby rats. IIRC it took about a week to kill every one. After that I ALWAYS kept one trap set and every once in a while I'd get a newly moved in rat but never had a real problem after that.

Regards,

Gary

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk