Author Topic: Guarana --anyone growing it?  (Read 14291 times)

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Guarana --anyone growing it?
« on: February 02, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »
Guarana-- a tropical Brazilian plant we eat-consume the fruit aka berry aka seed of. Red Bull, Rock Star and similar energy drinks have guarana in them http://www.livescience.com/36119-truth-guarana.html

more on guarana >>> http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-guarana.html

I got some whole seeds and ground them up. Made a hot "coffee" from them. Good clean upper!
Is anyone growing guarana in Florida, California or elsewhere?

Bought one pound here >>> http://www.herbco.com/p-520-guarana-seed-whole.aspx
Do you think they will sprout to grow guarana plants?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:53:00 AM by zands »

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
Re: Guarana --anyone growing it?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 11:56:00 AM »
from what I've found out is the seeds are short lived, I haven't found fresh seeds or plants yet.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 11:58:17 AM »
Oscar has them for sale, I thought about growing them. Eventually will add it to the collection some day.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge of the Masters
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:06:29 PM »
I have a few only about a few inches tall so no seeds yet but soon. Its a container plant for anyone growing it out of the tropics as it cant tolerate even the slightest cold (showed cold stress at 58f) also they need really acid soil (4.5-3.0ph), i do have one in 6.0ph but its hardly growing. Received more seeds from oscar about a week ago, nice and fresh like always.

From the sea

• Big Island Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 01:23:58 PM »
thanks for the tips

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 01:36:52 PM »
Guarana seems to be self infertile, use two plants from different seedlings. I have also air layered it.
It is a vine that wants to grow on a support like passiflora.
I have never heard that it needs particularly acidic soil.  I see it growing abundantly here on soil that must be in the high 5's.
Peter

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 05:30:12 PM »
Guarana-- a tropical Brazilian plant we eat-consume the fruit aka berry aka seed of. Red Bull, Rock Star and similar energy drinks have guarana in them http://www.livescience.com/36119-truth-guarana.html

more on guarana >>> http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-guarana.html

I got some whole seeds and ground them up. Made a hot "coffee" from them. Good clean upper!
Is anyone growing guarana in Florida, California or elsewhere?

Bought one pound here >>> http://www.herbco.com/p-520-guarana-seed-whole.aspx
Do you think they will sprout to grow guarana plants?

Zands, i'm growing it here. No those seeds you buy for grinding aren't going to grow. You need to get very fresh seeds. It needs a trellis or cage to grow on. They are flowering right now here:

Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 06:58:38 PM »
Nice pictures.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 01:10:19 AM »
Nice pictures.

Thanks. It's a really cool looking fruit. When you walk around the plant you can get the sensation that a bunch of beady eyes are looking at you.  8)
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 08:34:15 AM »
Nice pictures.

Thanks. It's a really cool looking fruit. When you walk around the plant you can get the sensation that a bunch of beady eyes are looking at you.  8)

You sell the viable seeds...I can see on your website. You have an idea what Florida temperatures are. I will have to keep it in a greenhouse 4 months out of the year??
I will have to keep mine potted? No way can it be planted outside except in a greenhouse? For South Florida of course.

IOW what do you see happening with a Gurana vine at 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit? Thanks!

Thanks. It's a really cool looking fruit. When you walk around the plant you can get the sensation that a bunch of beady eyes are looking at you

Mysterious! Do you consume some of the guarana you grow? Is is stronger than the dried stuff I have that may be X months or years old?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:39:13 AM by zands »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 10:14:19 PM »
Nice pictures.

You sell the viable seeds...I can see on your website. You have an idea what Florida temperatures are. I will have to keep it in a greenhouse 4 months out of the year??
I will have to keep mine potted? No way can it be planted outside except in a greenhouse? For South Florida of course.

IOW what do you see happening with a Gurana vine at 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit? Thanks!

Thanks. It's a really cool looking fruit. When you walk around the plant you can get the sensation that a bunch of beady eyes are looking at you

Mysterious! Do you consume some of the guarana you grow? Is is stronger than the dried stuff I have that may be X months or years old?

You wouldn't want the plants to be subjected to any of the arctic freeze periods. But it wouldn't be hard as you could keep it easily in a pot. I haven't tried grinding my own seeds yet. Usually i sell all the seeds for propagation. I'm sure that grinding your own fresh seeds would be better quality than buying something that is many months old. BTW in Brazil guarana is included is very popular and included in many products, including supermarket sodas. Many colas have guarana as an ingredient there.
Oscar

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 08:50:18 AM »
We have plants available in 3 gal with trellis $35. Pick up only   Must pre-order
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:57:20 AM by BENDERSGROVE »

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 11:00:36 AM »
We have plants available in 3 gal with trellis $35. Pick up only   Must pre-order

Sent you a PM

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 12:34:28 PM »
Nice pictures.

You wouldn't want the plants to be subjected to any of the arctic freeze periods. But it wouldn't be hard as you could keep it easily in a pot. I haven't tried grinding my own seeds yet. Usually i sell all the seeds for propagation. I'm sure that grinding your own fresh seeds would be better quality than buying something that is many months old. BTW in Brazil guarana is included is very popular and included in many products, including supermarket sodas. Many colas have guarana as an ingredient there.

Can the fruit be eaten, like coffee cherries?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 05:08:48 PM »

I don't know but you can buy the dried berries...... Bought one pound here >>> http://www.herbco.com/p-520-guarana-seed-whole.aspx
About $18 when you include shipping

You can find the powder on ebay at OK prices
But the whole berries at ebay cost more than at the above link.
You grind up 8-13 berries or so in a krupps coffee mill or a similar one
give it a 7 quickie pulses to start because the berries are hard and might break the plastic top if you just jam down....

After the quickie pulses then really grind it down. You get a powder you simmer for 10 minutes. I eat the grounds too. It seems to give you more caffeine per tablespoon than coffee. From what I see (internet) it is a more healthful way of getting caffeine. Not acidic etc etc and more.

Plus now maybe I can grow some 8)

zzzzzzzz

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 02:54:16 AM »
Nice pictures.

The white pulp around the seed is kind of chalky and bland, and there is very little of it.
Oscar

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 05:30:41 AM »
Sounds cool to have.   Plant next to my coffee tree to have a "caffeinated" garden section!  Haha.   How long does the vine live?   I read it likes acidic soil.   Any other tips for growing it successfully?   How long more is the guarana season before can't buy any seeds?   

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 05:33:59 AM »
Sounds cool to have.   Plant next to my coffee tree to have a "caffeinated" garden section!  Haha.   How long does the vine live?   I read it likes acidic soil.   Any other tips for growing it successfully?   How long more is the guarana season before can't buy any seeds?

Have had my guarana plants for at least 8 years, and still fruiting.
Oscar

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 07:23:14 AM »

Do you know if it will grow in high ph soil? Or is it only acidic soil where it will grow?  I bought one at Benders Grove but not planted it yet. I have high ph soil

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 06:06:34 PM »
Dunno. But would guess it would grow lots better in acidic soil.

Do you know if it will grow in high ph soil? Or is it only acidic soil where it will grow?  I bought one at Benders Grove but not planted it yet. I have high ph soil
Oscar

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 06:12:45 PM »
only recently Oscar have I discovered your website.  it's like backyard gardening crack for me.  buy what I need thinking that's all I will need...then I learn something else on here and realize, ooh I need that.  then I'm back calling up the dealer for more. ha ha ha

I will have to figure out where to plant it out, but I may have to order again shortly. the idea of having readily available caffeine is too tempting.  ha ha ha.

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 09:12:16 PM »
My guarana just started flowering

To revise my earlier posts from last year now i have experience growing it, I planted it in 6.0ph soil and it grew slow at first but then just took off, I fertilize it with happy frog acid lovers just to give it that little lower PH. Its planted where it receives full sun most the day with periods of shade from taller trees throughout. I don't water it, its fine between rain cycles. Its seen down to 40F with hardly any signs of stress, so as they get older just like any tropical plant it can tolerate more cold. So this is my observations, also nothing bothers it, so its a tough easy plant to grow.

Here's a picture of mine taking off, i planted it in march as a few foot long bush wrapped around a wooden trellis, now its extending over 10 feet and rapidly growing. its more of a vine than bush but if it doesn't have anything to grow on it just climbs on itself forming a sort of bush.

I am still unsure if you can eat it raw, also does anyone know if the red pulp around the seed can be eaten or has any use?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 10:16:41 PM »
The pulp around the seed is white, not red. You can eat it but it's rather tasteless. The red/orange exterior is the fruit rind. Don't think that's edible.
Oscar

buddyguygreen

• Keeper of Earth
  • Zone Creator
    • Citrus Ridge, FL,
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 11:16:19 PM »
Thanks Oscar. Have you tried the seeds from your plants yet?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2016, 01:29:03 AM »
Thanks Oscar. Have you tried the seeds from your plants yet?
No i haven't. Mostly because the seeds are so valuable for germinating. Plants are getting big enough i might be able to get enough next summer to try them out. I tried the guarna powder in Brazil, and it really works! Great for the tired traveler. Really gives you a fast boost.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk