Author Topic: Have you heard or have experience with this product??  (Read 5932 times)

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Have you heard or have experience with this product??
« on: May 29, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »
Dr. Iron 8% Iron Chelate Liquid
It can be used as a foliar spray or soil drench
http://www.epestsolutions.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/driron.jpg

I don't like ordering new products without checking to see if other members have tried it before.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
Re: Have you heard or have experience with this product??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 05:48:15 PM »
Here is one of their products. Dr Iron seems to go the citrate chelate route. Does it work in high ph soils? Lo ph soils?

hhttp://www.organic-gardening-shop.com/agorganics/Images%5CLABEL_FILES%5CMT7262LABEL.pdf

It is from California..... so may not apply to hi ph Florida soils

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »
Here is one of their products. Dr Iron seems to go the citrate chelate route. Does it work in high ph soils? Lo ph soils?

hhttp://www.organic-gardening-shop.com/agorganics/Images%5CLABEL_FILES%5CMT7262LABEL.pdf

It is from California..... so may not apply to hi ph Florida soils

Here is the actual  product label :  http://www.planetnatural.com/planetnatural/images/dr-iron-label.pdf

You posting that label made me think to go looking for it Thanks!!
It doesn't say anything about being chelated which is what I need because my soil is more alkaline.
Think I will stay away from this one since it doesn't mention being chelated.
Thanks

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:24:04 PM »
I'm not familiar with that iron. What I can tell you from experience is that in high PH soils the plants take up the iron but for some reason they can not use it.  I can not tell you why, I'm not a chemist or agronomist, I just grow them.
I have had sick trees looking like iron deficiency but when I do the leaf test the iron and all other elements are OK. Then I apply sequetrine 138 or generic equivalent and it gets green quickly. Since then that is all the iron I use. I apply it through my irrigation system. It is expensive over $8.00 a pound. In the supply place it comes in 5 lbs bags. To me is an expensive item I used like 50 lbs plus a year.    You may find someone that sell less.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 08:48:10 PM »
I'm not familiar with that iron. What I can tell you from experience is that in high PH soils the plants take up the iron but for some reason they can not use it.  I can not tell you why, I'm not a chemist or agronomist, I just grow them.
I have had sick trees looking like iron deficiency but when I do the leaf test the iron and all other elements are OK. Then I apply sequetrine 138 or generic equivalent and it gets green quickly. Since then that is all the iron I use. I apply it through my irrigation system. It is expensive over $8.00 a pound. In the supply place it comes in 5 lbs bags. To me is an expensive item I used like 50 lbs plus a year.    You may find someone that sell less.
I had googled that sequestine 138 and it looked like it was in a granular form..... Carlos can it be used foliar spraying s well??? If so I think that may be the way to go.
Someone mentioned Green Light brand (liquid) iron and soil acidifier but I couldn't find much about it other than that they sell it at Lowes.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 09:23:45 PM »
Iron is one of the easier things to burn leaves with, so, if you need to apply a substantial amount, it should go on the soil.  A very light amount may be sprayed on the leaves.

I have not heard before of "Dr. Iron."
Har

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
This is from the label:

Sequestrene 138 Fe Iron Chelate is a source of iron in a form readily available to plants. It can be applied either as a soil application or as a foliar spray. Sequestrene 138 Fe is effective over a wide pH range, including soils where pH is 7.0 and above. Rates of application will depend upon the severity of deficiency, but should be kept within the
recommended range for each crop.

For the whole label: http://www.gvwest.com/labels/SEQUEST475.pdf

For me I like soil application, since I have micro jets is low cost on the application side. Foliar is a bit more complicated. This is a profesional product used world wide in agriculture. FYI this will stain really bad. even a 1/8 oz in a gallon of water makes a very dark deep brown-red solution.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 10:06:35 PM »
This is from the label:

Sequestrene 138 Fe Iron Chelate is a source of iron in a form readily available to plants. It can be applied either as a soil application or as a foliar spray. Sequestrene 138 Fe is effective over a wide pH range, including soils where pH is 7.0 and above. Rates of application will depend upon the severity of deficiency, but should be kept within the
recommended range for each crop.

For the whole label: http://www.gvwest.com/labels/SEQUEST475.pdf

For me I like soil application, since I have micro jets is low cost on the application side. Foliar is a bit more complicated. This is a profesional product used world wide in agriculture. FYI this will stain really bad. even a 1/8 oz in a gallon of water makes a very dark deep brown-red solution.

http://www.irrigation-mart.com/Documents/Chemicals/ferriplus.pdf

I came across this product that looks similar to the sequestrine 138, they sell it in 1 pound jars....it comes out to cost more by $10  if you use 5 pounds in a short time frame. Any thoughts on this one??

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 04:22:08 AM »

http://www.irrigation-mart.com/Documents/Chemicals/ferriplus.pdf

I came across this product that looks similar to the sequestrine 138, they sell it in 1 pound jars....it comes out to cost more by $10  if you use 5 pounds in a short time frame. Any thoughts on this one??

Look around but the product you mention is the equivalent of Sequestrene 138. Both are good for hi ph Florida soil and can be used as foliar or as soil drench when it is not raining. These are chelated products same as chelated vitamins you find in Whole Foods etc. Wander into Home Depot and you will find Southern Ag nutritional spray for citrus. Only $6. This includes chelated iron and some other chelated minerals

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:35:33 AM »
Zands I actually did see that in HD, they used to carry Southern Ag's chelated iron too but not anymore. I have a big jug of Dynagrow Foliage pro so that's why I was looking for the chelated iron by itself. I also looked in Lowes ....they had a product called Green Light Iron and soil acidifier. I didn't really look at the label to realize it had chelated iron since the front label didn't say so but now I am finding out it is chelated. I will have to go back and check to see it that is true. Had you seen that Green Light?
Look around but the product you mention is the equivalent of Sequestrene 138. Both are good for hi ph Florida soil and can be used as foliar or as soil drench when it is not raining. These are chelated products same as chelated vitamins you find in Whole Foods etc. Wander into Home Depot and you will find Southern Ag nutritional spray for citrus. Only $6. This includes chelated iron and some other chelated minerals

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:01:27 AM by MarinFla »

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 08:56:36 AM »
zands I found the label online for the green light product. It is used as a soil drench only and contains a 'chelating agent' so I am not sure how that differs from chelaled iron vs. chelators with the iron
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 11:02:09 AM by MarinFla »

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
Hi Marin, I sent you an email...I contacted Southern Ag to ask them about their Citrus Nutritional Spray about it being
Chelated...

Nancy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk