Author Topic: Yellow jaboticaba  (Read 11634 times)

Popper121

• FL, 10A
    • View Profile
Yellow jaboticaba
« on: March 16, 2015, 03:02:08 PM »
About how tall does the yellow jaboticaba have to be too start fruiting?

Thanks

David

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Yellow jaboticaba
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 03:20:31 PM »
About how tall does the yellow jaboticaba have to be too start fruiting?

Thanks

David
like 3ft tall, 3 yr old.  I have a bunch that are going to fruit this year or next...for sale for $30 ea. (usually cost closer to $50, but I have a surplus now.)
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

michsu

• Hacienda Heights, CA (Southern California, Los Angeles)
    • View Profile
    • Pictures of my trees.. nothing fancy
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:18:44 PM »
I sent you a reply .. please check your inbox.. sorry I cannot do it sooner for you ;D Do you have these available to ship, or is it still in FL for now? Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 04:20:44 PM by michsu »

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 05:09:57 PM »
Is there any flavor difference between, say, yellow and red or yellow and grimal? Didn't see much out there comparing them (size of fruit even).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 05:53:57 PM »
Is there any flavor difference between, say, yellow and red or yellow and grimal? Didn't see much out there comparing them (size of fruit even).

The yellows don't taste anything like jaboticaba, and i feel really that calling them jaboticaba is a misnomer. I prefer to call them cabelluda. The plant is also only very distantly related to jaboticaba and grows and looks completely different. The taste is also completely different. The cabelluda tastes to me like apricot juice. They are juicier than jaboticaba and have larger seed in the middle. I think some comparison shots were posted in the past. Just do a google image search inside the forum. Generally the yellows are a little bit smaller.
Oscar

Popper121

• FL, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 07:19:28 PM »
Thanks,  just got one that is about 5'tall,  so I guess it will  fruit.   Are they more seasonable or fruit several times a year like jaboticaba?

Thanks

David

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 07:21:53 PM »

The yellows don't taste anything like jaboticaba, and i feel really that calling them jaboticaba is a misnomer. I prefer to call them cabelluda. The plant is also only very distantly related to jaboticaba and grows and looks completely different. The taste is also completely different. The cabelluda tastes to me like apricot juice. They are juicier than jaboticaba and have larger seed in the middle. I think some comparison shots were posted in the past. Just do a google image search inside the forum. Generally the yellows are a little bit smaller.

totally agree Oscar (about flavor, and the fruit tree being in a class of it's own)

but I've found it's so much easier to call them a yellow jabo.

most customers can't remember, pronounce or relate with the word Cabelluda.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 08:35:18 PM »

totally agree Oscar (about flavor, and the fruit tree being in a class of it's own)

but I've found it's so much easier to call them a yellow jabo.

most customers can't remember, pronounce or relate with the word Cabelluda.

Yes i do the same. That helps them sell also! But here i will call them cabelluda.  ;)
Oscar

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 09:24:05 PM »
Cabelluda......In spanish it means girl with a lot of hair lol and I might have to hunt one down locally to taste and order from Adam. $30 plus how much shipping?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 10:08:49 PM »
Cabelluda......In spanish it means girl with a lot of hair lol and I might have to hunt one down locally to taste and order from Adam. $30 plus how much shipping?

lol, i can ship overnight to most place in FL (via UPS ground) for $15. (rates are subject to change of course).

the packing job is bare bones, not fancy, but the plants usually arrive in excellent condition...worst case is a few small broken branches...usually because the plant I'm stuffing in the box is way too tall... :P

i think the hairy girl name has something to do with the fact that the fruits are fuzzy.

if you can get past the fact that the fruits are not huge, and seeds are somewhat large, you will love this fruit.

it's flavor is so good it's unreal...like coconut, apricot, mango, jaboticaba...I could eat like 50 at a time...and trust me I do it.

and burping after eating all those fruits is like the anti-broccoli burp...the most delicious taste and aroma resurfaces from your gut...I know it sounds disgusting, but don't knock it till u try it  :P
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 10:33:39 PM »
LOL You had me at burping........ How big does this variety get? Same ruled for growing as red Jabo?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 10:44:49 PM »
LOL You had me at burping........ How big does this variety get? Same ruled for growing as red Jabo?

it's a big tree actually...and a fast grower....it can be pruned back quite heavily, and kept small (less than 15 ft for many years)....in Brazil I've heard they can get like 40ft.  The biggest I've seen in the states was about 15 ft...but the right grower could get one above 20ft i'm sure....the one I saw as at fruit and spice ...looked like garbage because of the high pH soil.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 11:05:53 PM »

it's a big tree actually...and a fast grower....it can be pruned back quite heavily, and kept small (less than 15 ft for many years)....in Brazil I've heard they can get like 40ft.  The biggest I've seen in the states was about 15 ft...but the right grower could get one above 20ft i'm sure....the one I saw as at fruit and spice ...looked like garbage because of the high pH soil.

Are you still talking about cabelluda? If so that is not correct. I have a cabelluda that is about 20 years old and it is only about 9 feet tall. They are really more bushes than trees. If you look at Lorenzi book he says they get 2-4 meters tall (6 to 12 feet).
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 11:29:47 PM »
Oscar,

that was one of the facts he got wrong in the book!

I saw pictures of a mature tree definitely close to 40ft tall, it was insane!  (I wish I could find the pic, I believe it was in the book by Silvestre Silva,

http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Brazil-Silvestre-Silva/dp/8589138259

(i didn't realize it was a $400 book I was holding!)

I've been fighting to keep my tree in a 100 gal pot from growing too tall, it tried to exceed 10ft in height last year, but I cut about 4 ft off...now it's about 8ft again, and I'll have to cut off another 3ft when it starts growing.

Lorenzi's book also said M. cauliflora only gets 3-6 m tall, but changes that information to about 4-9m tall in another book...also for M. coronata he says 3-4m, then changes it to 4-12m!  (he does this for almost every species)

I compared his information from Brazilian fruits to Brazilian trees vol 3, and it was contradictory for sure.

I think there is so much variation it's hard even for the Brazilian people to pinpoint the exact size range.

It probably depends on the location of the tree in the wild, and the strain of the variety.

Are you still talking about cabelluda? If so that is not correct. I have a cabelluda that is about 20 years old and it is only about 9 feet tall. They are really more bushes than trees. If you look at Lorenzi book he says they get 2-4 meters tall (6 to 12 feet).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 11:40:36 PM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 01:15:27 AM »
Oscar,

I saw pictures of a mature tree definitely close to 40ft tall, it was insane!  (I wish I could find the pic, I believe it was in the book by Silvestre Silva,

I've been fighting to keep my tree in a 100 gal pot from growing too tall, it tried to exceed 10ft in height last year, but I cut about 4 ft off...now it's about 8ft again, and I'll have to cut off another 3ft when it starts growing.

Lorenzi's book also said M. cauliflora only gets 3-6 m tall, but changes that information to about 4-9m tall in another book...also for M. coronata he says 3-4m, then changes it to 4-12m!  (he does this for almost every species)

I compared his information from Brazilian fruits to Brazilian trees vol 3, and it was contradictory for sure.

I think there is so much variation it's hard even for the Brazilian people to pinpoint the exact size range.

It probably depends on the location of the tree in the wild, and the strain of the variety.

Adam, I have that book of Silvestre Silva. Cabeluda is not in that book. Lorenzi does change height of cabeluda from Brazilian Fruits book 2-4 meters to Brazilian Trees, vol.3, 3-6 meters. That is still very long way from 40 feet! My tree is not the only mature tree i've seen here, and the other was also about 6-8 feet tall. Certainly don't expect any tree to get 40 feet tall in Florida. They do get wide, but not very tall here. I've seen surinams get way larger and more tree like. Look also at the e-jardim.com website. Lists this tree as 2-3 meters tall. Maybe there are subspecies or types that get taller, but i don't think that is the one that is in USA. If you can find photo of a 40 ft. tree i'd like to see it.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 01:21:06 AM »
thanks for checking the book Oscar (glad you have it, because it's driving me nuts, I can't remember where I saw that picture)....but I even changed my speech for the Rare Tropical Fruit Conference last year, right after I saw the picture, I made sure to tell everyone the tree can get very large.

I will try to find it again, but I have thousands of pics to search through!  :(

Did you notice the picture of M. strigipes in Brazilian Trees Vol 3? its huge!  and Lorenzi quotes the size at about 30ft max!  E-jardim says it only gets 1-2m tall!

lots of contradicting info!!

Oscar,

Adam, I have that book of Silvestre Silva. Cabeluda is not in that book. Lorenzi does change height of cabeluda from Brazilian Fruits book 2-4 meters to Brazilian Trees, vol.3, 3-6 meters. That is still very long way from 40 feet! My tree is not the only mature tree i've seen here, and the other was also about 6-8 feet tall. Certainly don't expect any tree to get 40 feet tall in Florida. They do get wide, but not very tall here. I've seen surinams get way larger and more tree like. Look also at the e-jardim.com website. Lists this tree as 2-3 meters tall. Maybe there are subspecies or types that get taller, but i don't think that is the one that is in USA. If you can find photo of a 40 ft. tree i'd like to see it.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 01:31:36 AM »
Oscar,

i think you may be partially right...I just saw the pic from Brazilian trees vol 3 of glazioviana...and I believe it was the large tree I saw...his book shows they get 6m tall (20ft), much taller than Brazilian fruit gives them credit for....I think the picture I saw must have been of M. strigipes that was close to 30ft in Brazilian trees vol 3 (like more than 3x taller than the height they told us previously!)

so I may have to change my information...the ultimate size of the yellow jabo is much taller than people give it credit for, but is not close to 40ft.

so I guess we'll meet in the middle  :P ;D

moral of the story...there is lots of contradicting info...and it seems like they keep increasing the ultimate size of the trees, as newer information comes out!

« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:34:50 AM by ASaffron »
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 01:43:00 AM »
thanks for checking the book Oscar (glad you have it, because it's driving me nuts, I can't remember where I saw that picture)....but I even changed my speech for the Rare Tropical Fruit Conference last year, right after I saw the picture, I made sure to tell everyone the tree can get very large.

I will try to find it again, but I have thousands of pics to search through!  :(

Did you notice the picture of M. strigipes in Brazilian Trees Vol 3? its huge!  and Lorenzi quotes the size at about 30ft max!  E-jardim says it only gets 1-2m tall!

lots of contradicting info!!

Lorenzi says 4-9 meters for the M. strigipes. It's really impossible to get an idea of how large the strigipes tree in Brazilian Trees books is because there is no scale. So you kind of have to take Lorenzi's word for the sizes possible.
I wonder if the mammoth cabeluda you saw is in one of the other Silvestre Silva books? He has a couple of other earlier books than the one you linked to. I'll try to see if the photo is there and report back if i find it. BTW don't think that Silvestre Silva book is really worth 400 bucks just because one seller one Amazon wants that much for it. I think i paid about 45 for it, but it was many years ago. Silva's books are great, especially the photos. Just keep in mind Silva is a professional photographer, not a botanist like Lorenzi.
But yes you are right that location, cultivation, and type are going to influence height of tree. Also normally in the wild many types of trees can get 2-4 times bigger than they will ever get in cultivation.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 01:45:50 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 01:51:38 AM »
Oscar,

i think you may be partially right...I just saw the pic from Brazilian trees vol 3 of glazioviana...and I believe it was the large tree I saw...his book shows they get 6m tall (20ft), much taller than Brazilian fruit gives them credit for....I think the picture I saw must have been of M. strigipes that was close to 30ft in Brazilian trees vol 3 (like more than 3x taller than the height they told us previously!)

so I may have to change my information...the ultimate size of the yellow jabo is much taller than people give it credit for, but is not close to 40ft.

moral of the story...there is lots of contradicting info...and it seems like they keep increasing the ultimate size of the trees, as newer information comes out!

I guess the reason that Lorenzi keeps increasing the sizes of trees is that he does an awful lot of traveling around to get photos for his books. As he travels he might each time encounter bigger trees. For example, I myself had no idea how mammoth jaboticabas can get. It's very different when you encounter a tree that is well over 100 years old in Brazil than when you see ones that are only 25-50 years old here in Hawaii.
Real question is ultimate size of tree in cultivation versus ultimate size of the tree in the wild. I think usually they get much bigger in the wild.
Oscar

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 01:54:02 AM »
Oscar,

I guess the reason that Lorenzi keeps increasing the sizes of trees is that he does an awful lot of traveling around to get photos for his books. As he travels he might each time encounter bigger trees. For example, I myself had no idea how mammoth jaboticabas can get. It's very different when you encounter a tree that is well over 100 years old in Brazil than when you see ones that are only 25-50 years old here in Hawaii.
Real question is ultimate size of tree in cultivation versus ultimate size of the tree in the wild. I think usually they get much bigger in the wild.
no doubt!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 11:11:42 AM »
Here are some pics of a fruiting yellow jabo, about 3ft tall.

Hairy fruit

I have another in a 20gal pot that is 6 ft tall and has flowered multiple times without setting fruit.
Brandon

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2015, 08:55:55 PM »
I got to eat one of my hairy girls today.  It was great!  It tasted to me to be a mix of orange marmalade and red jaboticaba. Can't wait for the other four fruit to ripen.  I had heard some negative things about it in the past. Now I am going to treat this tree to a nice new bigger pot and figure out where to put it in the ground.
Brandon

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2015, 08:58:43 PM »
I got to eat one of my hairy girls today.  It was great!  It tasted to me to be a mix of orange marmalade and red jaboticaba. Can't wait for the other four fruit to ripen.  I had heard some negative things about it in the past. Now I am going to treat this tree to a nice new bigger pot and figure out where to put it in the ground.

That's what I like to hear!

If anyone is in the orlando area, in the next two weeks, I will have yellow jabo fruit to sample (my large tree is making a decent crop)

Just be sure to give me back the seed!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2015, 09:29:14 PM »
Mine started to fruit at 60 cm and are now about 4 - 5 meters tall , had to get rid of one ( the axe ) too many fruits . The M. strigipes is now 4 meters but still doesn't get enough sun , was planted in the wrong spot , I had more fruit when still in a paint bucket . Even though there is not a lot to ' eat ' on these 2 I just love their delicate taste .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2015, 09:35:42 PM »
bought mine from frankies summer 2013.  maybe 2 ft tall. now is 3ft tall...so maybe 4-5 years old at least?  no fruit yet.  ugh.  but the way it stays small (at least at my house), it makes for great edible landscaping if it ever bears fruit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk