Poll

What is the best way to kill the pests in the soil for container grown fruit trees?

container grown fruit tree
0 (0%)
container grown fruit tree
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Best way to kill the pests in the soil for container grown fruit trees?  (Read 2696 times)

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
My Phet Pack Chong Atemoya Tree in container does not look very healthy. When I scratch the top of the soil, I see louse-sized, white bugs together with ants and tiny long snails (I am not sure if this kind of snails are harmful). Is there any effective, easy and safe way of killing the pests in the soil regarding container grown fruit trees?

Thanks
Onur

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to kill the pests in the soil for container grown fruit trees?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 06:56:47 PM »
Are you sure it's due to insects in the soil? Annonas are not fond of soil that retains moisture. So, peaty mixes can be an issue, especially in this rainy weather.

The other thing that tends to make annonas look like pupe here is the green leafhopper. Though, they seem to be less prevalent during the rainy season.

Any pictures?
Jeff  :-)

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:48:40 PM »
Are you sure it's due to insects in the soil? Annonas are not fond of soil that retains moisture. So, peaty mixes can be an issue, especially in this rainy weather.

The other thing that tends to make annonas look like pupe here is the green leafhopper. Though, they seem to be less prevalent during the rainy season.

Any pictures?

Thanks for the answer Jeff!  I also have the other atemoyas such as Lisa, Geffner,...etc. And they look great!  However, Phet Pack Chong's leaves go yellow and look weak and unhealthy... Still you may be right by saying that it might stem from wet bottom... What is strange about it is that I still keep it in its original 15 gallon container as I bought it from the seller. It had no leaves on then, though...  I will post pics tomorrow. Would you suggest making more holes at the bottom?

greenman62

• CharlesitaveNB
    • [url=https://vgruk.com/]vgr uk[/url]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 06:21:50 AM »
Ive never seen ants attack a tree.
Well... I did in Peru, i saw leaf-cutters, but i think the tree was dead anyway
and i dont have leaf-cutters here in New Orleans.

When you say white bugs, i am thinking mealy bugs maybe, which ants will harvest
and raise (kinda like cattle) for food. But usually, the mealy bugs are on the young leaves.
Snails can attack leaves of some species, but if you dont see holes, or chew patterns, im not sure what they would be hurting.  Ive never heard of snails attacking roots.
If you havent already done so, you can inspect the undersides of the leaves closely for pests.

Some people might look at all that life in the soil as a good thing.
all those critters create a waste stream (free fertilizer)
that waste stream is attacked by bacteria and fungi.
As long as that stays aerobic, those microbes are good for the soil.

Would you know what kind of soil was used in the mix ?
Do you know if it maybe root bound ?

i have 2 Cherimoya. I recently put 1 in the ground
I do remember thinking there were more roots than i had expected

Its planted on a raised area, and the one in the container doesnt have any peat moss
i never use the stuff, i dont like it at all. - So, i cant speak to that
The one in a container is mostly sand and compost. it drains rather well.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 11:05:01 AM »
Depends on the circumstances. Rainy weather + a large container of peaty soil + a small tree would mean wet feet. It could also be leaf hopper. I'd be curious to see the pictures.

Any pictures?

Thanks for the answer Jeff!  I also have the other atemoyas such as Lisa, Geffner,...etc. And they look great!  However, Phet Pack Chong's leaves go yellow and look weak and unhealthy... Still you may be right by saying that it might stem from wet bottom... What is strange about it is that I still keep it in its original 15 gallon container as I bought it from the seller. It had no leaves on then, though...  I will post pics tomorrow. Would you suggest making more holes at the bottom?

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 01:00:35 AM »
Ive never seen ants attack a tree.
Well... I did in Peru, i saw leaf-cutters, but i think the tree was dead anyway
and i dont have leaf-cutters here in New Orleans.

When you say white bugs, i am thinking mealy bugs maybe, which ants will harvest
and raise (kinda like cattle) for food. But usually, the mealy bugs are on the young leaves.
Snails can attack leaves of some species, but if you dont see holes, or chew patterns, im not sure what they would be hurting.  Ive never heard of snails attacking roots.
If you havent already done so, you can inspect the undersides of the leaves closely for pests.

Some people might look at all that life in the soil as a good thing.
all those critters create a waste stream (free fertilizer)
that waste stream is attacked by bacteria and fungi.
As long as that stays aerobic, those microbes are good for the soil.

Would you know what kind of soil was used in the mix ?
Do you know if it maybe root bound ?

i have 2 Cherimoya. I recently put 1 in the ground
I do remember thinking there were more roots than i had expected

Its planted on a raised area, and the one in the container doesnt have any peat moss
i never use the stuff, i dont like it at all. - So, i cant speak to that
The one in a container is mostly sand and compost. it drains rather well.

Thank you for the explanation greenman62!  The white bugs I mentioned are much more smaller than mealy bugs. They are slightly longer than white flies. I don't know the type of soil used. I had bought it from Excalibur. There should have been some materials like pebbles at the bottom of the container to prevent wet feet.

I sprayed pesticide on the soil. And I really feel sorry about all those critters who might have a potential to create a waste stream as you said...   :'(

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 01:01:13 AM »
Depends on the circumstances. Rainy weather + a large container of peaty soil + a small tree would mean wet feet. It could also be leaf hopper. I'd be curious to see the pictures.

Any pictures?

Thanks Jeff! I will post some pics...

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 09:25:37 AM »
My problem is that I've picked up a container and found slugs on the bottom and repotted plants and pulled out a rootball full of slugs. That's not good, is it?

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 09:48:32 AM »

Any pictures?

Here are the pics Jeff. Hope they are good enough to give you an idea...

DimplesLee

• frustrated permie
    • PHL&AUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 10:08:43 AM »
My problem is that I've picked up a container and found slugs on the bottom and repotted plants and pulled out a rootball full of slugs. That's not good, is it?

Don't know if your plant might be sensitive to vinegar but I spray slugs with vinegar instead of having to pick them off and sprinkling them with salt, works as good as the salt torture but you don't have to touch them - although pouring vinegar or even a diluted solution on the roots might be too drastic.
Diggin in dirt and shifting compost - gardeners crossfit regime :)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »
The new foliage actually looks good. I wonder if the old foliage just hung around for too long?

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 01:11:59 PM »
The new foliage actually looks good. I wonder if the old foliage just hung around for too long?

Right! It seems like the old foliage does not go easily and quickly...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk