Author Topic: Rotting seeds  (Read 3140 times)

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
  • The philosopher of fruit
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
Rotting seeds
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:11:19 PM »
My trade winds fruits seeds keep rotting, but I can't figure out why. Anyone know why this is?
The hardest plants to grow are often those most worth growing.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
Re: Rotting seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 12:20:08 AM »
You can sometimes get good stuff with TradeWinds but sometimes the seds are a bit old
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 08:46:28 AM »
What medium are you using to plant them in? (milled peat, etc.)  Are you using bottom heat?

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • Marin, California, zones 9b and 10a (though I keep most plants in a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 11:23:57 AM »
What medium are you using to plant them in? (milled peat, etc.)  Are you using bottom heat?

First I tried paper towel and then seed starter mix. No bottom heat.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 11:28:01 AM »
I have found that bottom heat is essential for most sub-tropical & tropical seeds and higher humidity in most case's too! ;)

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 12:21:03 PM »
I have found that bottom heat is essential for most sub-tropical & tropical seeds and higher humidity in most case's too! ;)

All my other seeds germinated without it. I keep it in a warm bright room with a humidity structure. The issue is that they're not sterile?

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 02:22:14 PM »
I think Stuart hit it above, maybe sometimes the seeds are a little old or have not been stored properly.  My results with their seeds is very erratic.  I've never had great germination from their seeds, sometimes good, often low or none.  I still buy from them from time to time if their price is low since you don't mind so much taking a chance in that case. 

John

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »

All my other seeds germinated without it. I keep it in a warm bright room with a humidity structure. The issue is that they're not sterile?

I don't believe you need to sterilize your growing media and it's probably impossible without the proper knowledge and equipment. what you need is to minimize the rotting process by growing your seeds in an acidic environment/media.
Moh'd

Garcinia

• Horticultural addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 12:18:16 PM »

I don't believe you need to sterilize your growing media and it's probably impossible without the proper knowledge and equipment. what you need is to minimize the rotting process by growing your seeds in an acidic environment/media.

Makes since, although the theory of bad seeds seems to be the most accurate since I haven't had problems with their seeds that need to be planted immediately.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 12:26:08 PM »
Milled peat moss (not regular peat moss) is around 4.0 pH and inhibits fungus growth.  Seeds are not always fresh and sometimes it is necessary to take every advantage to achieve germination.  Milled peat is just one of those advantages as is bottom heat.  Difficult to obtain seeds that have a long transit time especially need additional care.  GA (Gibberellic Acid) is also used for recalcitrant seed.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 02:05:27 PM »

Makes since, although the theory of bad seeds seems to be the most accurate since I haven't had problems with their seeds that need to be planted immediately.

If you don't mind me asking, What did you buy from them (trade winds)  ?,
Moh'd

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 02:09:03 PM »
Milled peat moss (not regular peat moss) is around 4.0 pH and inhibits fungus growth.  Seeds are not always fresh and sometimes it is necessary to take every advantage to achieve germination.  Milled peat is just one of those advantages as is bottom heat.  Difficult to obtain seeds that have a long transit time especially need additional care.  GA (Gibberellic Acid) is also used for recalcitrant seed.

I totally agree with you. In my opinion Peat moss is the best seed-starting medium. nothing comes close to it.
Moh'd

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk