Author Topic: Seedling Mango tree thread  (Read 3318 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Seedling Mango tree thread
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2021, 02:20:40 AM »
Looks like many of the seedling trees are flowering here.  They only take 3-4 years to flower.  I wish they would go 5 or 6 before flowering to let them get a bit bigger.  But whatever its better than a grafted tree.

Yeah, I wish they would grow several more years before flowering also but at least we will get to try out some of the fruit in the near future. The seedling trees grow so much better due to the lack of florigenic hormones for at least the first several years. The Sweet Tart seeeling was looking pretty good last time I stopped by. Iíll probably stop by again soon and take some pictures.

Simon

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2021, 02:32:30 PM »

Thanks Simon and fliptop.

No deep thought when I planted this one...

Grafted trees in Sierra Leone are doing well. At least one has flowered but getting good info has been tricky.   One thing for sure, once these fiber free sugar bombs fruit, West Africa will never be the same.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 02:36:47 PM by Future »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2021, 08:19:02 PM »
Looking good Future! I canít wait to hear how the villagers react after eating a Zill mango.

On a side note, Iíve been neglecting my yard again and had to pay the piper today.

I had to cut off a 5-6 foot branch of my Orange Sherbet Seedling that was coming out at an odd angle. After I cut the branch off, I noticed it has its first blooms on a couple of its smaller side branches.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2021, 12:09:02 AM »
Just noticed today that my E4 Seedling_Front yard has small blooms forming on it. This E4 seedling was grafted onto my multigraft tree.

The scion came from a seedling that was growing in a pot. The original tree is either at Bradís orchard or given to another friend.

Simon

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2021, 10:58:39 AM »
This Pickering seedling is forming multiple trunks.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2021, 12:20:36 AM »
I would just remove those lower growths to allow the main trunk to get stronger. The low branching can pull a lot of energy from the tree and it will be more difficult to fertilize, mow and weed if you keep those branches. Please keep us updated on the Pickering seedling. Iím very interested in how all the seedlings turn out!

Simon