Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 935648 times)

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #350 on: December 10, 2013, 04:32:58 PM »
Recently found this video which includes Dragon Fruit grower Texas Exotic Fruits.

http://youtu.be/mHxsPfdVdqM

Mucbean

• USA, Florida, Lee County, Bonita Springs, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 11, 2013, 06:38:11 PM »
I'm want to make a set-up like MarinFla has in the pictures. This is the first time planting dragon fruit for me. Does it matter if I mix the type of dragon fruit on each post. I was going to put Halleys Comet and Vietnamese Jaina on the same post.

Thanks,

Mike

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 11, 2013, 09:55:27 PM »
Has anyone ever used galvanized fence post to build a trellis to grow dragon fruits? I take it that they'll provide sturdier support and it would last much linger but I think they might get too hot during the summer. 

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 12, 2013, 01:02:54 AM »
The work great for my muscadine grapes, but I think you're right, they would be too hot for Dragon Fruit.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

maui guy

• hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 12, 2013, 01:51:10 AM »
I have used T bar fence posts  but is too soon to see how long they will last. I attach a cross member @ ~ 5' so as to have a way to drape the shoots over.

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 12, 2013, 09:07:21 AM »
I have seen people wrap their posts with burlap.
On another note, we have squirrels in our neighborhood. They eat my guavas, and my neighbors' avocados, apples, persimmons..., but they never touched my dragon fruits. This  is the first fruiting year, so I don't know if it's due to them not having discovered the fruits yet. Do they bother your DF?

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 12, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »
I'm want to make a set-up like MarinFla has in the pictures. This is the first time planting dragon fruit for me. Does it matter if I mix the type of dragon fruit on each post. I was going to put Halleys Comet and Vietnamese Jaina on the same post.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike,
It's okay to mix up the plant into one pot for growing. Look again at MarinFL's post, she does say she has 2 or 3 variety in that one pot. But, if you have the space, then go ahead and do two separate pots, but if trying to save or having limited space, both in the same pot is fine.

BRUGSCA

• Maui
    • View Profile
maui dragon fruit
« Reply #357 on: December 12, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
I have a wooden 4 x 4 post in concrete in the ground w burlap. They are only (cuttings from Pine Island Nursery) about 3ft tall planted in summer, and others are cuttings of yellow, physical graffiti, and american beauty.

Question:

I have a farm at 886ft on Maui, not too hot usually max summer around 83-5f and winters around 58-62f at coolest. Do you think fruit production will occur in this area that isnt real hot?

Carlo
Giggle Hills Organic Farms, LLC
Maui

Mucbean

• USA, Florida, Lee County, Bonita Springs, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 12, 2013, 09:13:19 PM »
Ok, thanks Thao.

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 12, 2013, 11:32:38 PM »
Has anyone ever used galvanized fence post to build a trellis to grow dragon fruits? I take it that they'll provide sturdier support and it would last much linger but I think they might get too hot during the summer.
They do fine, but I'd use the thick conduit pipes, they are cheaper and work just as well. Or use one fence post and drill 4 holes and put rebar through making a cross, and then plant a plant on either side.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 12, 2013, 11:40:12 PM »

Thanks,

Mike
I have Physical Graffiti and Haley's Comet both in mine. You can do as many as you like as long as you are OK with not being sure what variety your harvesting if you can't follow which branch it's growing on back to the originating plant. I can usually follow it  back for ID

maui guy

• hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 13, 2013, 12:21:18 AM »
To nch    count your blessing ; rats discovered mine this year!

to brugsca;; not a problem they will do fine [ note above // watch the rats]

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 13, 2013, 04:36:13 PM »
I have Physical Graffiti and Haley's Comet both in mine. You can do as many as you like as long as you are OK with not being sure what variety your harvesting if you can't follow which branch it's growing on back to the originating plant. I can usually follow it  back for ID

How's permanent marker do on DF, for ID (Plant not the fruit)?

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 13, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »

It's fine, but eventually fades out over time. Maybe a metal/aluminum tag, that is commonly used for tagging plants, be hang around the main plant?

nch

• SoCal
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 13, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »
Maui guy, do you have any ways to protect your fruits? BTW, from what I have read on this forum, Hawaii doesn't have squirrels, right?

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
Re: maui dragon fruit
« Reply #365 on: December 14, 2013, 06:57:12 AM »
Question:

I have a farm at 886ft on Maui, not too hot usually max summer around 83-5f and winters around 58-62f at coolest. Do you think fruit production will occur in this area that isnt real hot?

Carlo,

They should produce fine in 85 f summers.  They do fine here in California in many areas that don't even get that hot. 

Sven

maui guy

• hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 14, 2013, 11:28:09 AM »
We dont have the 4 legged kine. We got worse; mongoose. Mongoose will even climb bananas, just like a rat. I did not believe that till I saw it myself.
Re protection; nature provides it with the spines on the fruit of Selenicereus megalanthus & its hybrids.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 15, 2013, 04:26:53 AM »
Yesterday, I ate the red fleshed pitahaya for the first time, I got the fruit from Indonesia, but I have to say, that it was the same experience like with the white fleshed one, both taste to me more like vegetable than fruit, something like radish, really  not worth to grow as a fruit. But may be it is because of me, who grow up in Middle Europe,  eating  tens of different varieties of plum, apple, apricot, peaches, pear  etc.  :D

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 15, 2013, 04:47:16 AM »
Yesterday, I ate the red fleshed pitahaya for the first time, I got the fruit from Indonesia, but I have to say, that it was the same experience like with the white fleshed one, both taste to me more like vegetable than fruit, something like radish, really  not worth to grow as a fruit. But may be it is because of me, who grow up in Middle Europe,  eating  tens of different varieties of plum, apple, apricot, peaches, pear  etc.  :D
Hi! Do you try the yellow one? It's very very good, at least to me. It's worth to have it at least by all great health beneficts!

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 15, 2013, 04:50:08 AM »

Sounds like you have had horrible watered out fruits, sorry for the bad experience (hope it does not prevent you from seeking out a good dragon fruit).
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 15, 2013, 07:13:58 AM »
My table, yesterday
Dragon fruit - more like vegetable than fruit to me
Snake fruit - like to eat unripe banana or what
Mangosteen - realy good

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 15, 2013, 08:30:29 AM »

That’s the problem with a lot of store bought fruit.  If you pick them when they look the best they don’t have enough sugar to taste good, but if you let them get sweet enough they don’t look good enough to sell.  Commercially there is a need for varieties that sweeten up while they still look good.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 15, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »

That can happen with any fruit.  The taste of a tomato picked too early for shipping and storage may not taste as good as a vine ripened tomato.

I have never tasted a pitahaya that IMO tasted bad.  Most of the pitahaya I have tasted remind me of Kiwi and watermelon like. Never like a radish.

When I was vacationing in Vietnam, I purchased a red fleshed Dragon Fruit at the central market. In this case, the red fleshed fruit I bought did not taste as good as the popular Vietnamese white fleshed Dragon Fruit served every morning at every hotel I stayed at.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 15, 2013, 11:45:21 PM »

I use a black medium Sharpie pen to mark cuttings.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 16, 2013, 12:14:44 AM »
I just use a razor blade to cut into the leafy stems of my dragonfruit plants to label them. They scar up really good and it will not fade, not sure about long term how long the scars will last but definitely longer than a pen or marker.
Simon