Author Topic: Dragon Fruit thread.  (Read 940156 times)

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Fruit thread.
« Reply #1250 on: July 19, 2015, 02:34:18 AM »
Artificial lighting should have little effect on pollination due to there being very little activity normally during overnight hours, as most plants that get 'assistance' by pollinators in the US (by bees normally) happens in the early morning when the flowers are still open and the insects are getting to work. The plant is naturally pollinated by moths and bats and other night insects in its native environments, but we don't have much of those types of critters in the US, as our varieties are either day shift workers or carnivores looking for bugs, not nectar. A nighttime camera shoot should be totally doable.
As for varieties, remember, theres a difference between self fertile and self pollinating. Self pollenating generally don't require any outside assistance to create fruit and are ideal for harvest crops, but as of right now most, if not all , of those varieties are not of sufficient quality to make a spash at market, although the work continues to correct that. Self fertile, however, makes up the bulk of the plants we 'hobbiest' growers own, due to the fact that most of us don't want to end up with a pile of dead flowers because we didn't have compatible pollen in time to fertilize what our plants see fit to produce. One important thing to note though is that location and climate can make self fertile plants into self pollinating, given a few things. For example, in a breezy or windy location pollen can work its way down the inside of a flower onto the stamen by being shook loose and basically just trying to fall out. At my house, if I find a flower I managed to forget to pollinate by hand, I always give it a good jiggle in the hopes that there is some pollen left inside.
Personally, Id prefer to have a better quality fruit that took a little bit more effort than a mediocre one that was completely hands off, but that's just me.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #1251 on: July 19, 2015, 09:26:39 AM »
Artificial lighting should have little effect on pollination due to there being very little activity normally during overnight hours, as most plants that get 'assistance' by pollinators in the US (by bees normally) happens in the early morning when the flowers are still open and the insects are getting to work. The plant is naturally pollinated by moths and bats and other night insects in its native environments, but we don't have much of those types of critters in the US, as our varieties are either day shift workers or carnivores looking for bugs, not nectar. A nighttime camera shoot should be totally doable.
As for varieties, remember, theres a difference between self fertile and self pollinating. Self pollenating generally don't require any outside assistance to create fruit and are ideal for harvest crops, but as of right now most, if not all , of those varieties are not of sufficient quality to make a spash at market, although the work continues to correct that. Self fertile, however, makes up the bulk of the plants we 'hobbiest' growers own, due to the fact that most of us don't want to end up with a pile of dead flowers because we didn't have compatible pollen in time to fertilize what our plants see fit to produce. One important thing to note though is that location and climate can make self fertile plants into self pollinating, given a few things. For example, in a breezy or windy location pollen can work its way down the inside of a flower onto the stamen by being shook loose and basically just trying to fall out. At my house, if I find a flower I managed to forget to pollinate by hand, I always give it a good jiggle in the hopes that there is some pollen left inside.
Personally, Id prefer to have a better quality fruit that took a little bit more effort than a mediocre one that was completely hands off, but that's just me.

I was under the impression that the majority of the DF varieties we hobbyist growers grow are NOT self fertile.  They require pollen from another (not clone) plant to produce fruit.

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 19, 2015, 12:43:23 PM »
Well, when I say 'hobbyist' I mean the more casual home growers. Those folks tend to seek out self fertile varieties, to make sure they can get fruit out of a few, or even a single plant. Anyone who takes the time to post on these sort of message boards or seek out genuine expert advice would probably fall into an "enthusiast" category. People who understand that to get some of the better fruits requires extra effort.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 19, 2015, 08:59:57 PM »
Well, when I say 'hobbyist' I mean the more casual home growers. Those folks tend to seek out self fertile varieties, to make sure they can get fruit out of a few, or even a single plant. Anyone who takes the time to post on these sort of message boards or seek out genuine expert advice would probably fall into an "enthusiast" category. People who understand that to get some of the better fruits requires extra effort.

It has been my experience, as a casual home grower, that we 'hobbyist' get the impression from the the more advance 'hobbyists' that getting fruit is not a big problem if you have flowers and hand pollination.  The reality is that most of the better tasting Dragon Fruit varieties require pollen from another variety of Dragon Fruit and casual home growers may only have one or a couple DF plants that don't flower at the the same time.

dmk

• Hyderabad, India/ Ormond Beach, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 22, 2015, 03:42:05 AM »
What are some of the ways to boost growth for a df plant?

It seems my plants take forever to grow. They grow a bit and suddenly become dormant for a while. I fertilize once in two months with organic fertilizer, namely - 'neem cake', 'vermicompost' and something called 'all mix'.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 25, 2015, 06:40:19 AM »
I made this 5 weeks ago. It was very simple to construct if anyone is interested in the supply list and instructions. I am growing Physical Grafitti and Haley's Comet. I also have American Beauty rooting in a separate pot. I have had a huge growth spurt in the last week. I am looking forward to fruit!

Amazing to look back at this old post and see what this dragon fruit has done in a bit over 3 years!! Extremely productive with fruits as big as 1.5 lbs and brix scores as high as 18.5! :)

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 25, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »

Amazing to look back at this old post and see what this dragon fruit has done in a bit over 3 years!! Extremely productive with fruits as big as 1.5 lbs and brix scores as high as 18.5! :)

Thank you for the update!! 

Anything you would do different knowing what you know now?

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 25, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »
What I would do differently:
1. I would have used 3 pieces of rebar to support the top platform instead of 2, one from 12 to 6, another from 9 to 3 like i did...I would add a third to support the corners better and arrange them like spokes

2. I would suggest to anyone if you're going to plant yours in a pot like I did with the post going through it into the ground.....when it gets substantial in size put supports on it to keep it from tipping over

It took 4 big strong men to upright it and we used two pieces of fence post to secure it.

3. ALL metal zip ties. I used some plastic ones as well....they deteriorated.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: July 25, 2015, 04:52:34 PM »
Are you sure about that brix reading?
- Rob

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 25, 2015, 05:04:16 PM »
What I would do differently:
1. I would have used 3 pieces of rebar to support the top platform instead of 2, one from 12 to 6, another from 9 to 3 like i did...I would add a third to support the corners better and arrange them like spokes

2. I would suggest to anyone if you're going to plant yours in a pot like I did with the post going through it into the ground.....when it gets substantial in size put supports on it to keep it from tipping over

It took 4 big strong men to upright it and we used two pieces of fence post to secure it.

3. ALL metal zip ties. I used some plastic ones as well....they deteriorated.

The top platform height is up to the individual. It does not need to be 5' - 6' high.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: July 25, 2015, 05:07:31 PM »

UCCE Irvine posted 17.93 Brix for Physical Graffiti.  18.5 Brix is not uncommon for Dragon Fruit.

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 25, 2015, 06:42:59 PM »
Yes I am sure :) especially since I tested some of my mangoes at the same time. I thought it was crazy that the dragon fruit was higher than some of the mangoes. The refractometer had just been calibrated and was in good working order so I am happy. The dragon fruit vary so I am going to guess water content may play a role in it.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:15:10 PM by MarinFla »

funlul

• SoCal zone 10a SGV
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 25, 2015, 07:49:40 PM »
@MarinFla. envy envy envy!
what size pot are you using?
Looking for scionwoods: loquat, cherimoya, jujube, chocolate perssimon

MarinFla

• View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 25, 2015, 08:34:46 PM »
@MarinFla. envy envy envy!
what size pot are you using?
It's a 25 gallon nursery pot, the 4x4 goes through the bottom of the pot into the ground about 1.5ft deep

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 26, 2015, 12:45:16 AM »

Heres some images of the first proper S-8 Sugar Dragon of the season. This is about average size for the fruit, and good color. Brix score varies a little bit between fruit, and the 18.0 is a smidge low but it could be because it's a first flush fruit. Most of the plants make up for the small size by putting out larger numbers of fruit.

RobPatterson

• Ontario, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 27, 2015, 11:46:44 PM »
If this plant weren't being moved I have a suggestion, and that is to actually bury the pot in the ground. This allows you to have the protection of the pot's armor while keeping out aggressive root seekers, and lowers the chances of annoying tip-overs. If you have a strong back at your disposal, just dig a pot sized hole, but maybe an extra foot or two deep, then line the hole with weed blocker fabric and fill in the extra foot of depth with pure sand or fine gravel. This gives you a 'French drain' layer to help dissipate excess watering or rain. Then just place your pot and backfill.
Also, for long term usage, I tend to use non-toxic treated lumber or Trex composite, with a few layers of burlap wrapped and nailed to it. Keeps the post from rotting and still allows the aerial roots something to grip onto.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 28, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
My American Beauty tested at 19% Brix and it definitely tasted every bit of that 19%. I've been taking Brix readings from many samples of fruit and I give the highest reading taken from that fruit. If I sample multiple fruit of the same variety, I try to give the average of the highest readings I get.

Also, I've noticed the Brix readings can vary greatly in any particular given fruit. For Mango, the highest Brix is around the flesh near the skin. For Dragon Fruit, I've found that the highest Brix is near the center of the fruit.

Simon

Artisans

• If you have an Tabo and I have an Tabo.....GBS
    • The Philippines, Palawan, PPC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 28, 2015, 06:12:00 PM »
Great looking canopy, here (philippines)they place in a concrete post and branch out some rsb, ugly as hell. I have planted 3 segments (cuttings) and plan a bamboo wall much like your nest in construction as I have iso containers for workshop space and it is a shame to waste the space, so I will be going vertical. A buddy of mine has some 200 mature fruiting plants. Still has not got around to selling the fruit though, so I get the my fill. FYI, frozen is the best way to eat them.

Majime

• Wakayama, Japan, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: July 31, 2015, 10:14:48 AM »
I have a problem with my DF, there are some black spots with lots of little darker spots that looks like aphid bites on the new growth.
it happened during the night. I am sorry for the poor quality pics, anyone has an idea what it is?

Majime

• Wakayama, Japan, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: July 31, 2015, 06:45:17 PM »
Here some better pics

Majime

• Wakayama, Japan, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: August 02, 2015, 08:05:03 AM »
Ok, I'm freaking out. That thing is expanding and the more I look at it, the less it looks like some insect bites.
It looks more like the plant is sick. Could it be the water? It's hot now and I've been watering it everyday.

Jake the indian

• A Durian Lover first & a Fruit Farmer next
    • India, Western ghats, Indo-Malaya ecozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 02, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »
I got to try Thanh Long Do - a red Vietnamese Dragonfruit variety from the Mekong Delta, recently. The flesh had a uniquely rich flavor, and was very sweet.  It is easily the best dragon fruit i've ever had! Has any one tried this one?? It's a newly developed variety by the southern Fruit research institute, and carrying its planting material outside the country is prohibited.
"For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God"

Dezperado

• Algarve, Portugal,11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 02, 2015, 10:41:51 AM »
I have a problem with my DF, there are some black spots with lots of little darker spots that looks like aphid bites on the new growth.
it happened during the night. I am sorry for the poor quality pics, anyone has an idea what it is?

I`m also interested in an answer to this problem. One of the cuttings is developing this problem in the last 3 weeks.  Any contribution would be much appreciated

dmk

• Hyderabad, India/ Ormond Beach, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 02, 2015, 11:51:51 AM »
Ok, I'm freaking out. That thing is expanding and the more I look at it, the less it looks like some insect bites.
It looks more like the plant is sick. Could it be the water? It's hot now and I've been watering it everyday.

Months ago I had posted a similar damage with my df plant (it should be on this thread within the pages). The only difference was that the damage on my plant was yellowish in color then turned white and kinda translucent. But it spead like mad and before you know the only thing left is the middle thingy. The problem with my plant was over watering. I live in a dry climate and thus thought the plant would need more water like some of my other plants but I was wrong.
I learned it the hard way, to always put your finger in the soil and check, if the soil is dry only then water it.

Majime

• Wakayama, Japan, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 02, 2015, 07:51:31 PM »
It's definitely a disease, bacterial or some kind of wills. I found a guy who has the exact same problem on another forum, but nobody was able to give an answer.
http://allthingsplants.com/thread/view/34403/Dragon-fruit-hylocereus-undatus-Halleys-Comet-off-hang-tag-disease/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 08:58:55 PM by Majime »