Author Topic: Let ripen or pick it  (Read 730 times)

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
Let ripen or pick it
« on: July 17, 2019, 09:43:26 PM »
I have what I now believe is a Lemon Zest (see link below) protected in strawberry pack still hanging on the tree.  Should I let it ripen on the tree or should I pick it once I believe it is close and let it ripen in my garage.  It is the first fruit (and only fruit) from this tree and I want to get it before the racoons do. 

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=32422.msg356012#msg356012

I can post another picture if it helps.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Let ripen or pick it
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 09:49:49 PM »
I have what I now believe is a Lemon Zest (see link below) protected in strawberry pack still hanging on the tree.  Should I let it ripen on the tree or should I pick it once I believe it is close and let it ripen in my garage.  It is the first fruit (and only fruit) from this tree and I want to get it before the racoons do. 

I vote for picking it mature and letting it ripen since it is your only fruit. Just be careful to not pick it too early.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: Let ripen or pick it
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 10:46:24 PM »

I have finally learned by trial & error to pick my LZ and then leave them on the counter for days... days... until they turn from yellow to orange. That is the only way that I have been able to eat the LZ and get a similar taste/quality to match the PPK.

In my yard, the PPK being smaller can stay on the tree (if not eaten by animals) until they go from yellow to orange and I can pick and immediately eat a perfectly ripe PPK at it's peak flavor IMO with no waiting for it to ripen futher. This is the color for maximum sweetness IMO for the PPK and for the LZ .  The LZ being larger often would fall from the tree when yellow and I ate many yellow LZ in disappointment thinking it was no way as good as PPK.... Until finally I waited on it to turn orange and yes I think they are equal IMO with only one larger than the other but both very good at the Orange stage of ripening... (similar to Young/Tebow needing to be with Orange color for max. sweetness taste of this milder mango IMO)   

So yes pick & store at least when it starts turning yellow and wait wait wait for the change from yellow to orange IMO as it will probably fall from the tree yellow due to it's size & be eaten by animals on the ground if not picked.

I currently only have LZ as PPK have already passed their season in my yard.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 11:14:29 PM by palmcity »