Author Topic: Please help Oroville fire victim, fellow fruit grower!  (Read 2028 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Please help Oroville fire victim, fellow fruit grower!
« on: September 25, 2020, 02:07:17 AM »
I joined a fig forum this year and met lots of wonderful members. If you’re into figs, you know that some of the rare varieties sell for hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. I was completely new there but members contacted me and gifted me with many expensive fig trees even though they didn’t know me, although some did know me from this forum.

Anyways, we have a fellow fruit grower in need of help. He lives in Oroville and his name is Doug(BlueMalibu). His sons house burned down and he lost his livelihood.

You can read more about it here:

https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-home/839133-our-good-friend-in-oroville-ca-needs-our-help

I already donated and I’m asking everyone that can afford it to please chip in! Every little bit helps.

Here is his PayPal address if you can help chip in

BluemalibuFarms@yahoo.com

Please bump this thread to show your support and also to allow other members to see this post. I’ve only been coming on this forum every couple days because I have to do the distant learning with my two daughters and I might not have seen this thread if it were on an older page.

Thanks in advance! Just know that I would do the same if we had a member here that was affected. Natural disasters can affect any of us and it’s awesome to see that the fruit community has caring people that support one another!

Simon

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Please help Oroville fire victim, fellow fruit grower!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 10:52:23 AM »
Help our fellow fruit-growing enthusiasts if you can.
John

FruitFool

• san diego, ca, USDA zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 11:05:07 AM »
Thank you for spreading the word here, Simon.
I did my part already.

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 12:18:14 PM »
Doug is a super nice person, and a generous fella, I hope we can all make a difference.

kalan

• FL Broward Zone 10b southwest ranches
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 05:06:10 PM »
Thanks for doing this for your friend and for letting us know.
Keith

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 05:20:12 PM »
Southern and eastern Australia had a shocking bushfire season just before covid landed.The scale was unprecedented and assistance for victims came from around the world. I imagine organisations and governments are slow to help and there are strings attached.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 03:23:24 AM »
Thanks for your support everyone, we were already able to raise a lot of money on the other forum but there’s still a lot more to be done. The community is still picking up the pieces and are nowhere near rebuilding.

Several members that are good friends with Doug reached out to me and told me about what a great person Doug is. He is always volunteering and trying to help out his community. He’s the type of person that would give you the shirt off his back if he saw that you needed it more than him. Please continue to help in any way you can. I’ve been posting on some of the Facebook pages I frequent in order to raise awareness and to help raise funds for Dougs son and his community.

Simon

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 09:16:29 AM »
Bump.

Shared a little love and thanks for posting this information.
Terrible those fires.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »
Thanks for sending infor Simon i sent a little help ;)

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 09:18:00 PM »
Thanks for sending info, Simon.  I sent a little help. ;)
+1
John

liamsoren

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 05:20:33 PM »
I will definitely be donating! Thank you for the information. As a firefighter myself, I know the dangers of fires firsthand. I have seen the damage that it causes, destroying everything in its path, things important for others, literally people’s livelihoods and sometimes it takes these lives completely. I have had the honor to risk my life in order to save the lives of others. Seeing people band together to help someone who suffered from a fire is warming my heart. If you want to help make other people’s lives safer and you want a job that brings you a sense of deeper meaning in life [spam link].
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 10:57:26 AM by JakeFruit »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk