Author Topic: What Fertilizers do YOU use!  (Read 6725 times)

ucf.nikolas

• enjoy life :)
    • Broward, 10b
    • View Profile
What Fertilizers do YOU use!
« on: March 08, 2021, 12:59:41 PM »
Hello!

I am located in 10b Broward county.
I was wondering what fertilizer growers around me are using for Jaboticaba, Mango, Jackfruit, and Garcinias?!
or any secret tips you learned along the way, feel free to share!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: What Fertilizers do YOU use!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 01:12:08 PM »
I use osmocote plus for every single container plant I have (which includes the four on your list).  I'm sure it isn't the right ratio for many, but it works just fine for me.  Acid-loving plants get some garden sulphur added.

My jackfruit and mango are in the ground now, they get "jacks high performance" 25-5-15, simply because I have a big bag of it already.  They are doing great.  I have clay soil and a greenhouse, you may have different needs in Florida.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 01:14:42 PM by brian »

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 01:15:33 PM »
Miracle Grow... It's all in the name...

Kevin

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 10:30:52 PM »
I don't use often, but do spread some of Excalibur's 8-3-9 (for fruits trees), only use this on my mangos after harvest. this year I did buy a bag of potassium sulfate, and just spread some yesterday.

this year I have been experimenting with foliar spray, this really seems to make a notable difference, on my smaller trees, new leaves are huge, my dragon fruit have kicked into high gear, growing and new branching.  I use bioAg Cytoplus, with Dyna grow Pro Tekt (Silica ), and used yucca as a sticking agent.

Cytoplus:
Guaranteed Analysis:  Boron (B)...............0.25% Manganese (Mn)..........0.8%  Soluble Potash (K2O)......7.5% Cobalt (Co)........... 0.035% Molybdenum (Mo)........0.05%  Copper (Cu).......... 0.13% Sulfur (S)......................3.25% Iron (Fe).................0.9% Zinc (Zn).......................0.5%Non-plant food ingredients:  Humic Acid(s) 47% , Seaweed Extract 25% (derived from Ascophyllum
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

arc310

• arcadia/glendora, ca 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 03:28:28 AM »
dr. earth fruit tree fertilizer.

i recently read the back and realized you can use it as a tea (it says to just add to water and let it sit for 24 hours - so different than compost tea).

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 10:56:33 AM »
I've tried a little bit of everything over the last few years.

Holly-tone for eugenia and jabos, it has acidifier in it so that's nice for my ultra hard and high ph water

Dr Earth fruit fertilizer, a bit expensive but does the work

Vigoro avocado and citrus - I use this on trees that are in the ground like cherimoya and on citrus and mangoes

Miracle Gro slow release - Used this a lot last year but realized it's super high in N and was probably why I had few flowers

KoolBloom by General Hydro - I used this on my DF last year about half way thru the season on Spaugh's recommendation and they flowered hard, will be using it all year now

This year I'm testing out a Schultz slow release bloom that is 12-24-12 and I have a feeling it's going to really help out with production.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 07:08:20 PM »
Forgot about the Dr Earth, I use that on my potted seedlings.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 10:32:45 PM »
Not one response was an answer to the OP's question.  Key word was "near me" as location does and will play a role in the fertilizer one should use.
- Rob

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 12:40:14 PM »
Not one response was an answer to the OP's question.  Key word was "near me" as location does and will play a role in the fertilizer one should use.

A little healthy discussion about what works in other places is also helpful. Maybe my guy (or gal) here is growing in pots? Sure, location and soil composition matters, but the plants and their needs remain generally the same.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 12:58:25 PM »
Fertilizer is still fertilizer regardless what part of the world you live.  Theres no such thing as a location specific fertilizer, thats bullshit.  Maybe some are only available in certain areas but its going to do the same thing wherever its used.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 01:00:15 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

vall

• Treasure Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 02:49:09 PM »
Fertilizer is still fertilizer regardless what part of the world you live.  Theres no such thing as a location specific fertilizer, thats bullshit.  Maybe some are only available in certain areas but its going to do the same thing wherever its used.

You are blessed with excellent soil. Ask a commercial grower if they do a soil test before planting.

The 2nd year I lived here my veggies grew horribly so I did a soil test. My cal/mag/K ratios were all off and I was lacking micros. Now I only add in what I need to gradually balance it. This year for example I finally have enough calcium and boron but am still deficient in zinc and manganese. Dumping miracle gro on the veggie garden wouldn't have solved a thing.

I don't know if this is OP's problem, but parts of Florida have calcareous soil, which makes uptake of some nutrients more difficult: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ch086
- Val

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 03:03:49 PM »

You are blessed with excellent soil. Ask a commercial grower if they do a soil test before planting.

The 2nd year I lived here my veggies grew horribly so I did a soil test. My cal/mag/K ratios were all off and I was lacking micros. Now I only add in what I need to gradually balance it. This year for example I finally have enough calcium and boron but am still deficient in zinc and manganese. Dumping miracle gro on the veggie garden wouldn't have solved a thing.

I don't know if this is OP's problem, but parts of Florida have calcareous soil, which makes uptake of some nutrients more difficult: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ch086

We are overall just lacking a lot of information from OP, and that's ok, as I said in my post - nothing wrong with suggesting fertilizers that work for "us" on a plant by plant basis.

I don't think CA residents are generally blessed with quality soil. It's just sandy clay. It requires the same treatment as any soil lacking in organic matter - mulch, manure, etc barring any severe complications as you noted like calcareous soil.

Sometimes I think people take this site too seriously. We're generally not commercial growers that need complex soil analysis and remedy, some anecdotal evidence is sufficient for most home growers and there are plenty of people on here with experience.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2021, 03:59:40 PM »
My soil is not great other than it drains well.  Its completely void of nutrition. 

Thats not the point I was making about site specific fertilizers.  I was trying to get at that fertilizer is fertilizer whether its in China or Africa.  Calcium supplement is calcium supplement period.  Theres not a specific calcium supplement for florida. 

For growing fruit trees, a well rounded fertilizer with a micro nutrient package is going to be in general a good option.  The 8 3 9 blend mentioned seems to be popular.   Florida has issues with fertilizer runoff and so you should do your homework and be responsible with your fertilizer choices so that you are not polluting the water there.  Beyond that, a general full package fertilizer is going to be a good option.  If you have calcium soil maybe you need to add organic matter and sulfer supplements etc.

You can use compost, mulch and manures if you want to go organic.  Or not, again fertilizer is just fertilizer.  Of course you need to figure out which particular micro and macro nutrients your plants require and find something that has it.  Its still just fertilizer. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 04:13:18 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2021, 05:04:27 PM »
I believe Diamond makes fertilizer blends for the local alkaline soil here in SoFl.

I use worm castings, fish emulsion, kelp extract, compost, and a variety of organic and non organic products.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2021, 05:29:40 PM »

You are 100% wrong here.  Soil make up and climate play a role in what a plant will need and how it uptakes it. 

From your thought, there would only be one kind of fertilizer...
- Rob

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2021, 06:09:20 PM »
Sorry, you are wrong.  Fertilizer is basic elements that plants need to grow.  Yes theres many different elements and formulations of these elements available to fit specific needs but at the end of the day they are all still just basic elements.

Like Copper, iron, etc.  The fertilizers sold in CA and FL contain those same elements. 

I think maybe the point I'm making is being lost on some people.  You guys are making fertilizer more complicated than it is.  Yes you need to get the right recipe for your application. But there's nothing magical about the basic building blocks of a fertilizer package that makes it only work in Florida. 

If you know of some elements that only work in Florida please let us know. 
Brad Spaugh

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2021, 07:19:52 PM »
I believe Diamond makes fertilizer blends for the local alkaline soil here in SoFl.

I use worm castings, fish emulsion, kelp extract, compost, and a variety of organic and non organic products.

I missed this post earlier.  So let's take the diamond brand fertilizer for the local alkaline soil.  What do they put in it thats specific for alkaline soil?  Probably extra sulfer.  I guess someone could post the ingredient list so we could analyze it.  But thats the point I'm trying to make if you need to lower PH, you use sulfer.  If your soil is lacking boron, you add boron etc.  You do the same thing over here on the west coast.
Brad Spaugh

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2021, 07:39:23 PM »
I use the water-soluble 10-8-22 fertilizer I got for hydroponics. Seems pretty cheap, and hard to see why I'd need anything fancy. I don't fertilize much though. $60+shipping for it and some magnesium sulfate (recommended to be used with this mix), makes 2500 gal at full strength, but I've been using 1/2 or 1/4 strength. Freight was a bit expensive, $43, but we're talking 40 lbs, plus a few other items that didn't add to the shipping.

https://hydro-gardens.com/product/hobby-formula-25lbs-bag-10-8-22/
https://hydro-gardens.com/product/magnesium-sulfate-15lb-bag-mgso4x15/

Brad I think he has a point, don't plants absorb different nutrients better at different pHes? I think you're right that you can still use the same fertilizer though.

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2021, 07:52:44 PM »
I'll admit i'm guilty of buying many different fert mixes & components hoping i'll get it right one year.
I feel stupid typing this asking myself why don't i do it the right way & test my soil.

Soil test question- do results have different ideal ranges printed for different tree types?
Such as citrus vs mango?

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2021, 07:56:52 PM »
Brad I think he has a point, don't plants absorb different nutrients better at different pHes? I think you're right that you can still use the same fertilizer though.

My point is that a PH problem requires the same fix wherever you are in the world.  And the basic elements that fertilizer companies put into those bags is the same everywhere, just different ratios. 

I think the hang up is people think I'm saying the ratios don't matter.  Thats not what I'm saying at all.

One of my other hobbies is riding dirtbike motorcycles.  They have forums for dirtbikes.  One of the topics that comes up often and illicits a lot of strong reactions is what oil to use in the dirtbikes.  This fertilizer topic is kind of the same thing.  Each bike uses a different oil weight.  0w- 40, 5w-30....  The brand you choose doesn't really matter but people still fight about it on the internet.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:09:57 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2021, 08:24:26 PM »
Hello!

I am located in 10b Broward county.
I was wondering what fertilizer growers around me are using for Jaboticaba, Mango, Jackfruit, and Garcinias?!
or any secret tips you learned along the way, feel free to share!
My main fertilizer has been Nutricote Total 18-6-8 180 day slow release. This one has all macro, secondary & micronutrients and never has anything I have used it on shown a nutrient deficiency. It is a polymer prill in which everything is contained to slowly release over six months. Cheaper fertilizers will have only part of the package in slow release form. It is also temperature release so as temperature cools off the release rate slows, at higher temps it releases faster. You can literally put a tablespoon directly underneath a vegetable seed or seedling and it won't burn and still be active for months. To me this means less waste and less possibility of water pollution since the release is tightly controlled. Once I ran out and bought another product and quickly burned some pineapple plants.

This highest quality product is used by many ornamental nurseries, they add it into their potting mixes in bulk before filling the pots and can be sure the plant will still be growing strong when it reaches the customer.
Despite warnings to not fertilize trees at planting all of mine without exception get a double handful right at the bottom of the hole and a sprinkling at soaking in at planting, and always have good growth.
Yes, it is available in your area from Howard Fertilizer, multiple Florida locations but yours is in Boynton Beach.
https://www.howardfertilizer.com/

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2021, 08:59:26 PM »

I missed this post earlier.  So let's take the diamond brand fertilizer for the local alkaline soil.  What do they put in it thats specific for alkaline soil?  Probably extra sulfer.  I guess someone could post the ingredient list so we could analyze it.  But thats the point I'm trying to make if you need to lower PH, you use sulfer.  If your soil is lacking boron, you add boron etc.  You do the same thing over here on the west coast.

I’m not sure if it’s done in fertilizer but different chelating agents are used depending on pH to make things like iron and copper more or less bio available. Copper can also be bound by calcium based rock so different forms could potentially used to avoid that. I’d imagine the form of nitrogen used could also make a difference. Ammonia (NH3) is more toxic to fish at a higher pH since at a lower pH it tends to form ammonium (NH4+). Nitrate NO3 doesn’t really care what the pH is but is supposed to be less bioavalible to plants. But again, I have no idea if any of this makes a difference with terrestrial plants.

RGoldManning

• Virginia Ashburn
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2021, 07:57:25 AM »
For me always was very hard to choose between fertilizers. I have a very big backyard and lawn. And very often I meet overgrowth problems. I've tried different brands. But they all were ineffective for my lawn. My neighbor advised me to use a cordless weed eater. Also, he gave me the link to an article where is explained what's the best cordless weed eater. From my point of view, this is a very great solution for lawns with problems like overgrowth. I am very pleased with the result. Now I have more free time because I don't have to trim the lawn 24/7.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 08:09:51 AM by RGoldManning »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2021, 11:30:57 AM »

My main fertilizer has been Nutricote Total 18-6-8 180 day slow release. This one has all macro, secondary & micronutrients and never has anything I have used it on shown a nutrient deficiency. It is a polymer prill in which everything is contained to slowly release over six months.

As you probably have seen I've used a similar NPK/micros/mos. but under the label of Polyon.  Just bought 50# of IGL's "cadillac", Osmocote 15-9-12 with micros, 8-9 month.  Shipping was free using one of A.M. Leonard's frequent promotions.

Hit the trees heavy about a 6 weeks ago many getting a pound each, 36" raised beds.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 11:32:54 AM by Mark in Texas »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2021, 11:43:29 AM »

My main fertilizer has been Nutricote Total 18-6-8 180 day slow release. This one has all macro, secondary & micronutrients and never has anything I have used it on shown a nutrient deficiency. It is a polymer prill in which everything is contained to slowly release over six months.

As you probably have seen I've used a similar NPK/micros/mos. but under the label of Polyon.  Just bought 50# of IGL's "cadillac", Osmocote 15-9-12 with micros, 8-9 month.  Shipping was free using one of A.M. Leonard's frequent promotions.

Hit the trees heavy about a 6 weeks ago many getting a pound each, 36" raised beds.

Glad to know I hit mine at the right time too.