Author Topic: Will mango roots send new shoots when the plant is cut  (Read 590 times)

ammoun

• 11a
    • View Profile
Will mango roots send new shoots when the plant is cut
« on: May 20, 2021, 08:02:04 AM »
I accidentally broke a one year seedling right at the soil level. Most if not all what is left a tiny little piece barely showing and the roots.

Do you have any experience with mango plants sending new shoots when cut?

Thanks!

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
Re: Will mango roots send new shoots when the plant is cut
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 09:04:18 AM »
That’s a major injury. Left to it’s own it will die. If you dip it in some hormone, and baby it, there might be a chance for survival, you have nothing to lose at this point:
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 09:38:30 AM »
Rooting hormone? It has a root system, it needs a new growth shoot. If it was a healthy seedling and there's enough energy stored in the roots, there's a good chance it'll attempt new growth. I've had several low grafts (below the first leaves/internodes) on seedlings that have failed; the seedlings have sent up new growth shoots more often than not.

I would keep the seedling on the same water schedule but avoid fertilizing it. If it's in a pot, move it somewhere it still gets sun but I'd avoid full sun (it no longer has any leaves shading the soil, might dry out fast on you). If you see several new growth shoots, leave the strongest shoot and remove the rest. If you don't see anything in ~2 months, I'd say it's a lost cause.

It's a good time of year; if it does recover, it'll have the chance the flush a few times.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 09:39:07 AM »
I’ve accidentally stepped on saplings before and I’ve had them sprout new shoots at soil level before. If the tree was healthy and somewhat established, it will probably send new shoots.

Simon

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 10:10:47 AM »
Without a photo I’m think they whole root system broke off except for a couple surface roots. Rooting hormone would help inhibit fungal growths and encourage new roots. I soak my air layers in hormone mix before I plant them out and they do well.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk