Author Topic: Taste of eugenias  (Read 1102 times)

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Taste of eugenias
« on: October 19, 2021, 12:46:12 AM »
The reason I got into Eugenias here in AZ originally is because when I moved out here in 2012, I asked my son what kind of tree to plant and he wanted a cherry tree.  Of course at the time, you could not grow cherries out here.  So I did some research and it said for cherry flavor, do cherry Rio grande, grumichama, or acerola.  Well, 9 years later, my grumichama and eugenia calycina continue to grow like snails, my acrrola tastes more like a tart raspberry than a cherry.  I know have a Nadia cherry plum and crimson cherry to plant over the winter and my son is off to college next year.  Kind of funny how things go.
But that leads me to my question, are there any eugenias or any other tropical fruit that tastes like an actual cherry?  I have heard many descriptions of a fruits taste on here, but I do not remember anyone saying a certain fruit tasted like a sweet cherry.

driftwood

• my name is driftwood, nice to meet you
    • Arizona 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Taste of eugenias
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 09:31:11 AM »
Acerola isn't known to be very sweet more a nutritious fruit, but there are sweeter selected varieties

You should try Pitanga - Eugenia Uniflora. There is red and dark red/black. The dark red/black variety is very sweet like a dark cherry.

Zills has a variety called Zill's Dark Suriname Cherry, I got some seeds from a forum member Achetadomestica

Growing some in AZ as well

ManVFruit

• San Diego, California
    • View Profile
    • MANvFRUIT
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 01:18:30 PM »
This is the sales section of the forum, you may want to post your question in the fruit discussion sections..

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 01:19:09 PM »
https://www.growables.org/information/TropicalFruit/capulin.htm

capulin cherries...this is a subtropical species of real cherries. in the genus prunus :)
this one doesn't need cold just shorter days to trigger flowering...then there's a few other species from florida and california that should be able to fruit there.

then you have some low chill cherry varieties that might fruit there
https://askthegreengenie.com/fruit-trees/low-chill-cherries/

there's some other tropical fruit called cherries...jamaican cherry that is also called capulin but it's muntingia calabura
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muntingia

for eugenia well there's really a lot of them...some taste quite good but a lot are straight up very "wild" plants and are eaten more by birds than humans.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 01:20:46 PM by digigarden »

Nakmuay

• Thailand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 07:15:44 AM »
Acerola cherry / barbados cherry is quite nice. Malpighia emarginata

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 12:36:53 PM »
The ones I tasted are not like cherries. 

Maybe you can grow the low chill cherry tree instead?  Cherries are early season stone fruit so they should be done before AZ heat really sets in. 
Brad Spaugh

BayAreaMicroClimate

• Dublin, California 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 12:40:23 PM »
Yes you should move this to discussion but I heard Eugenia Repanda “Black” taste like a cherry

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 06:00:59 PM »
I really like pitanga/surinam cherry/eugenia uniflora.  It's certainly not the same as a cherry, try it and see how you feel.