Author Topic: Low chill Asian pear  (Read 1110 times)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
Low chill Asian pear
« on: February 05, 2022, 11:00:50 AM »
Have a nice rootstock grown out from a grafted variety I had bought awhile ago. Even before allowing that rootstock to grow out whatever variety it was on top wasn't doing good at all here. Can't remember what variety I bought. Just a bare root tree bought from a roadside vendor for $10. Now that I got a nice bit of rootstock growth I can cut the other old scion off and graft the rootstock with a better variety for here in the FL panhandle. Preferably a variety with less than 400 chill hours but hopefully  250 or less. Anybody out there got scions available for a low chill Asian pear?
Trying to grow it all!

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
Re: Low chill Asian pear
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 11:50:55 AM »
I don't grow any of these unfortunately D-Grower but here are some in case folks see something they grow.

20th Century (3-400)
Hosui (3-400)
Shinseiki (250-300)

D-Grower

• United States, Florida, zone 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2022, 05:40:21 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations
Trying to grow it all!

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2022, 08:53:02 AM »
I've been reluctant to comment on this one but here goes. I planted tsu li  and ya li pears around 10 yrs ago. I'll check my orchard map, but one died of fire blight within a few years. I replaced that one and it isn't going to make it either. The other one is the best looking pear I have. Big, We'll filled out, but no flowers yet. I have a keiffer as well, and it has made some sparse fruit. I think it will pollinate the ..li.. I still have if it ever flowers. I think it's too late this year to get viable scion material, but I'll send some next year of the keiffer or the ..li.. If you want.