Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 62088 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #300 on: July 26, 2022, 07:10:04 PM »
Hey how’s everyone’s Yangmei doing?
I recently planted this an hai in ground. I was going to sell it to a gentleman in FL, but the deal fell through when I couldn’t find a big enough box. Plus the leaves turned a bit brown…
I checked the roots and there are no signs of RKN at all. The roots that had galls rotted off and died. Now all I see are new white and brown mature roots. I decided to plant in ground.
Based off my research it seems this can survive here.
The plants are healthy and I saw little white feeder roots.

Just to be safe, I planted this away from my plants even though I think there is no RKN now. I’ll keep treating and will follow up with beneficial nematodes to seal the deal. Even if they spread, in this climate and soil, the damage will be minimal.

In zone 7b? What will you do to protect it?

On my end, my yangmei is totally parked and not moving at all so I'm just going to graft it onto some californica and call it a day. The Californicas are growing very fast and I will miss the window of rootstock diameter to yangmei branch diameter if I wait too long.
Problem with grafting I guess is low success rates and unless you grafted right when you got the trees, it takes a long time to get branches up to a decent size. I have some rootstocks also for grafting.
My other trees are doing fine, just slowly chugging along. I see a new push coming on soon.
Based off of reading, it seems like they can make it up here. Plenty of trees are planted in Japan where it snows. Also I talked with someone who said it took the mid 20s ok.
I’ll trial it, but I can make a small cage around it while it’s young for protection.
I mean, why do people sometimes cold stratify the seeds? That would only be done with temperate fruits. Makes no sense why a tropical fruit would need to be cold stratified? I know you can germinate them without the cold, but the fact it works for some and helps with uniform germination says something. I hypothesize this tree is kinda like a persimmon or loquat. They can both be grown and fruited in tropical and subtropical climates. We will see.

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 26, 2022, 09:58:33 PM »
I just put manure down around most of my orchard and uncaged the Yangmeis for a bit to put some poo on em, they sure are looking good!
Took a picture of the Crystal that I had grafted up, it's grown quite a bit.  They really explode when they get in the ground. This tree is planted right where I had done a big burn pile earlier in the year.

Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 26, 2022, 11:39:28 PM »
I just put manure down around most of my orchard and uncaged the Yangmeis for a bit to put some poo on em, they sure are looking good!
Took a picture of the Crystal that I had grafted up, it's grown quite a bit.  They really explode when they get in the ground. This tree is planted right where I had done a big burn pile earlier in the year.

looking pure. nice work bro.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 27, 2022, 07:03:33 PM »

Is that on californica?

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 27, 2022, 07:30:34 PM »
Yessiree, m californica
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 30, 2022, 03:41:35 PM »

Got tired of waiting for the yangmei roots to come back and was worried I would lose the plant. Risked it and grafted the plant up to californica. It’s in the shade in my greenhouse now.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 30, 2022, 06:28:51 PM »

Got tired of waiting for the yangmei roots to come back and was worried I would lose the plant. Risked it and grafted the plant up to californica. It’s in the shade in my greenhouse now.
At least there’s a good chance the grafts take and then you still got the mother plant!
I think your trees roots should be fine though? Here’s how mine looked when I re potted them into 7 gals. This is with treatment for RKN so I think with treatment my trees grew faster than everyone else’s cause there no worms or at least less.

I’m curious to see if you used the tips of the branches(new growth) or the older branches with mature bark?
Please keep us updated on how it goes! Wish you the best!

cassowary

• Australia FNQ 13a Tropical Monsoon
    • View Profile
    • cassowaryseeds
« Reply #307 on: July 31, 2022, 08:48:07 PM »
It seams this post would be better suited for a subtropical folder:

"Myrica rubra, also called yangmei, yamamomo, Chinese bayberry, red bayberry, yumberry, waxberry, or Chinese strawberry is a subtropical tree grown for its fruit."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrica_rubra

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropics#/media/File:World_map_indicating_tropics_and_subtropics.png

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 08:52:56 PM by cassowary »
CASSOWARYSEEDS.COM
Seed shop and Seed exchange

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 15, 2022, 08:59:24 PM »
Just wanted to bump this thread to see how everyone’s trees are doing? I’m especially eager to find out if anyones trees will bloom this year.

I’m guessing my larger trees will bloom this year/2023, but I don’t think my DNA confirmed make rootstock is mature enough to produce pollen.

Hopefully a few of us will get fruit in 2023 or 2024. Good luck with everyone’s trees!

Simon

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 15, 2022, 10:51:58 PM »
Just wanted to bump this thread to see how everyone’s trees are doing? I’m especially eager to find out if anyones trees will bloom this year.

I’m guessing my larger trees will bloom this year/2023, but I don’t think my DNA confirmed make rootstock is mature enough to produce pollen.

Hopefully a few of us will get fruit in 2023 or 2024. Good luck with everyone’s trees!

Simon

Only 2/7 of my Chinese plants are still alive, and are doing so-so, but the plants I grafted are doing great!

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 15, 2022, 11:58:33 PM »
the grafted plants from China are doing good for me. I planted all 3 in ground...
I'll take the measures to protect them if it gets too cold, but I think they should be fine. A bit risky of a move, but they weren't too happy in pots. Nice growth on all 3. But 2 look nutrient deficient of some sort. I've been too busy and lazy to fertilize. I'll do it tomorrow.

kh0110

• USA, Cerritos, CA 90703, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 16, 2022, 03:10:38 AM »
I got rid of all of mines because of RKN. The quarantining is too much of a hassle. Looks like no one here cares about RKN, too bad!
Good luck anyway.
Thera

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 16, 2022, 08:18:38 AM »
I got rid of all of mines because of RKN. The quarantining is too much of a hassle. Looks like no one here cares about RKN, too bad!
Good luck anyway.
I treated mine and have no signs at all. Roots are healthy. Also my climate won't really punish me even if I do contaminate my placce.
But yeah if I were in socal or south FL I'd worrry a lot.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 16, 2022, 12:14:25 PM »
RKN are very prevalent here in Florida. I have yet to see a garden without them in my area. Some areas have light populations and other areas have heavy populations, but unless the area was recently flooded or treated, they are there. Maybe its different in South FL? To me its kindof like being concerned about bringing mosquitos into the state. My biggest concern would be that it would be a new species of RKN that would be more aggressive.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 16, 2022, 02:10:13 PM »
RKN are very prevalent here in Florida. I have yet to see a garden without them in my area. Some areas have light populations and other areas have heavy populations, but unless the area was recently flooded or treated, they are there. Maybe its different in South FL? To me its kindof like being concerned about bringing mosquitos into the state. My biggest concern would be that it would be a new species of RKN that would be more aggressive.
Thanks for the insight. I hear they do well in sandy soils so I was just assuming FL and CA...Although south FL is basically limerock so probably better?

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: October 16, 2022, 05:28:22 PM »

Brad Spaugh

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 16, 2022, 08:30:22 PM »
Does anyone want to try some seeds out? I got some fresh ones last July and cold stratified them...I'm willing to part with 5-10
Just need to pay shipping
and must have participated in any of the group orders. (Just don't want random person to take them if they don't even know what they are lol)
Send me a pm if interested.
They are fresh, but even then I have no idea on germination rates they seem very hard to sprout.
Edit: These have been claimed.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 09:11:14 PM by Jaboticaba45 »

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: October 16, 2022, 09:00:48 PM »
All my plants are doing well.

Grafted plants certainly thriving and growing much more than the potted RKN plants that are at my home and not my farm. 
I'm going to uncage my in the ground grafted plants early november and hope they should take the transition smoothly and explode with growth next year.  I'll try and get some pictures this week.

Side note: I haven't treated the potted yangmei we imported from china for RKN and the new roots are looking very healthy.  Does RKN usually affect the older root tissue or do they also damage new root growth?
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

Kankan

• Fallbrook, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 16, 2022, 09:25:12 PM »
I've got some Yangmei that made it from the last 2 orders. Much higher success putting them straight in the ground for me. Here are some pictures of a male and female Yangmei and their general environment. I have some M Californica I plan to graft some Yangmei scion onto. My question is with the next order arriving in December, when should I graft? Im in Fallbrook, CA. Should I build a hoop house and plant these in the ground under the hoop house (seems like a lot of work!). Id rather not pot them up and transplant into the ground later since my experience has been so poor with potted Yangmei. Any advice? TIA

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 16, 2022, 10:15:43 PM »

Grafted plants certainly thriving and growing much more than the potted RKN plants that are at my home and not my farm. 
I'm going to uncage my in the ground grafted plants early november and hope they should take the transition smoothly and explode with growth next year.  I'll try and get some pictures this week.

Side note: I haven't treated the potted yangmei we imported from china for RKN and the new roots are looking very healthy.  Does RKN usually affect the older root tissue or do they also damage new root growth?

They affect both, but damage is usually more pronounced on older roots because they have been exposed longer. One benefit woth RKN is that you can see damage. Some nematodes provide no external evidence other than a decline in growth.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 29, 2022, 04:07:45 PM »

Simon

Only 2/7 of my Chinese plants are still alive, and are doing so-so, but the plants I grafted are doing great!

That tree looks really healthy and with all the other imported trees that survived, we should start seeing fruitful trees in the coming years.

My imported, grafted and seedling trees are doing good and putting on a lot of growth.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 29, 2022, 04:12:32 PM »
the grafted plants from China are doing good for me. I planted all 3 in ground...
I'll take the measures to protect them if it gets too cold, but I think they should be fine. A bit risky of a move, but they weren't too happy in pots. Nice growth on all 3. But 2 look nutrient deficient of some sort. I've been too busy and lazy to fertilize. I'll do it tomorrow.

I noticed that the imported tree I got from Bills previous order that was heavily infested with RKN had nutrient deficient/chlorotic leaves even though I treated them. Once the RKN gets under control and the roots start growing g vigorously and un-infected, the leaves bounce back.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: October 29, 2022, 04:16:09 PM »
Good luck anyway.

Thera, the RKN is a huge issue, nobody should be slack about their treatment plan. These bugs have the potential to infect our precious soil.

I have been successful grafting the branches from the infected trees onto non infected rootstocks and their growth is significantly improved.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 29, 2022, 04:23:02 PM »

Did you get any plants with super infected roots? I got one that was super knotted up on every inch and I’ve thrown everything at it and it still looks chlorotic. I think it’s starting to recover from the RKN because there is lots of new growth. I’m expecting the roots to look fine because I treated it.

If anyone didn’t treat their plants, there may be a low level infection and issues may not arise until many years down the road. Damage will be more noticeable on vegetable than fruit trees.

Simon

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 01, 2022, 06:58:05 PM »
I've got some Yangmei that made it from the last 2 orders. Much higher success putting them straight in the ground for me. Here are some pictures of a male and female Yangmei and their general environment. I have some M Californica I plan to graft some Yangmei scion onto. My question is with the next order arriving in December, when should I graft? Im in Fallbrook, CA. Should I build a hoop house and plant these in the ground under the hoop house (seems like a lot of work!). Id rather not pot them up and transplant into the ground later since my experience has been so poor with potted Yangmei. Any advice? TIA

Beautiful garden AND view!!! Nicely done.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk