Author Topic: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread  (Read 62261 times)

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Yangmei (Morella/Myrica rubra) thread
« Reply #325 on: November 01, 2022, 07:53:38 PM »
the grafted plants from China are doing good for me. I planted all 3 in ground...
I'll take the measures to protect them if it gets too cold, but I think they should be fine. A bit risky of a move, but they weren't too happy in pots. Nice growth on all 3. But 2 look nutrient deficient of some sort. I've been too busy and lazy to fertilize. I'll do it tomorrow.

I noticed that the imported tree I got from Bills previous order that was heavily infested with RKN had nutrient deficient/chlorotic leaves even though I treated them. Once the RKN gets under control and the roots start growing g vigorously and un-infected, the leaves bounce back.

Simon
This makes more sense. Thanks Simon!
The best looking one I think had the most roots and didn't look like it had much RKN.
The others had some I think.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 02, 2022, 02:55:14 PM »
Anyone will have budwood for yangmei in Feb-April? I would be interested in trades or buy.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 29, 2022, 05:37:02 PM »
Ok here's an update
Mine are all in ground and they have taken high 20s here
New growth gets frazzled but the old growth is fine though looks trash cause of nematodes. They are still recovering as Simon mentioned earlier I think.
If they can kinda go dormant and not grow during the winter this will be very good
Not sure though the weather here has been trash and i plated them later in season
lol
Still alive though
Hopefully they can grow super big once summer comes
I probably will have to protect them when it gets below 20 ish.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 08, 2022, 08:17:01 PM »
I've been talking to a grower in China and they stated that there are no named male trees. Like others may have thought, it's probably just marketing. they said most male trees are grown from seed.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 08, 2022, 09:42:52 PM »
Anyone will have budwood for yangmei in Feb-April? I would be interested in trades or buy.

I need to trim my biqi plant if you want some cuttings.  Its starting to grow like a weed now. 
Brad Spaugh

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: December 29, 2022, 06:42:33 PM »
Hello
Can anyone ID this plant? Is it something that's compatible rootstock with Yangmei?

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 29, 2022, 07:15:10 PM »
Hello
Can anyone ID this plant? Is it something that's compatible rootstock with Yangmei?

Toyon Heteromeles arbutifolia

fruit4me

• USA, CA/LOS ANGELES,SAN GABRIEL
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 29, 2022, 07:35:20 PM »
Thanks,  NateTheGreat

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 02, 2023, 08:38:08 PM »
Found this cool video of someone in Seattle fruiting this one
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMiMJqGW56M

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 02, 2023, 09:18:47 PM »
Found this cool video of someone in Seattle fruiting this one
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cMiMJqGW56M

He got his tree from http://calmei-yangmei.com/ and signed a legal doc don't propagate it.
He wrote a blog about his YangMei quest.  Just Google Seattle Ben YangMei, you should able to find his blog.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2023, 09:20:56 PM by pinkturtle »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 03, 2023, 01:43:18 PM »

Had some Calmei seeds (from fruit) pop. Didn’t do anything special at all. No cold stratifying, no scraping, no nothing just plopped into dirt. There are 4 pots full of seeds so I hope I’ll get more seedlings.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 04, 2023, 08:27:05 PM »
I also tossed some seeds in pots and had some sprout. I didn’t throw them in the fridge or anything but they naturally cold stratified outside in Winter and sprouted in Spring or Summer, I forget exactly when. Once the seedlings get about 2-3 inches tall, they can grow extremely fast.

Hopefully you will get a bunch of sprouts!

Simon

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 06, 2023, 03:43:17 PM »
I also tossed some seeds in pots and had some sprout. I didn’t throw them in the fridge or anything but they naturally cold stratified outside in Winter and sprouted in Spring or Summer, I forget exactly when. Once the seedlings get about 2-3 inches tall, they can grow extremely fast.

Simon

While I think the group buys were cool, I am more in to this seedling thing. They're from selected varieties so, I can't imagine they will be a truly terrible fruit. Does anyone know the time from seedling to flowering on Yangmei? I had read it was lengthy, 7 years or something, but I sort of doubt this with how fast they seem to grow?

Yangmeilover

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 07, 2023, 10:20:01 AM »
Newbie missed the order deadline….  If any order this year by any chance?

Yangmeilover

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 07, 2023, 10:20:24 AM »
Newbie missed the order deadline….  If any order this year by any chance?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 07, 2023, 05:06:44 PM »
Bill said that he ordered extra trees so you may still be able to purchase trees from the current group buy.

Simon

nattyfroootz

• Santa Cruz California
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 07, 2023, 05:17:13 PM »
I've got some established Yangmei from the last order in 3g pots: Have Biqi and Wusu. Let me know if anyone is interested in them. They did have RKN coming in, although they don't show signs on the roots currently. Buyer purchases at own risk.
Grow cooler fruits

www.wildlandsplants.com

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 09, 2023, 11:31:48 PM »

Simon

While I think the group buys were cool, I am more in to this seedling thing. They're from selected varieties so, I can't imagine they will be a truly terrible fruit. Does anyone know the time from seedling to flowering on Yangmei? I had read it was lengthy, 7 years or something, but I sort of doubt this with how fast they seem to grow?

In the Australian article I posted somewhere, they said 8-10 years from seed to fruiting. I. Sure this can be shortened under ideal conditions.

Simon

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 09, 2023, 11:51:15 PM »

Simon

In the Australian article I posted somewhere, they said 8-10 years from seed to fruiting. I. Sure this can be shortened under ideal conditions.

Simon

It seem strange this kind of plant would take that long to fruit.  In 8 to 10 years the plant would be huge.
Brad Spaugh

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 10, 2023, 12:50:44 AM »
The long juvenile period could be from low nutrient soils in areas where Myrica Rubra is endemic. The trees growing in those low nutrient areas probably have the symbiotic relationship with Frankia Actinomycetes which can help it uptake nutrients but may not push the trees growth as quickly as we can with available fertilizers.

That same Australian article also mentioned that Yangmei can grow to about 10 meters or about 32 feet tall so they can become really large trees. I know there are quite a few people with seedling trees so if we keep track of when they reach sexual maturity, we can start to build a database of useful information.

Here’s an article that discusses the germination of Myrica Rubra seeds

https://watermark.silverchair.com/28-9-1431.pdf?token=AQECAHi208BE49Ooan9kkhW_Ercy7Dm3ZL_9Cf3qfKAc485ysgAAAtQwggLQBgkqhkiG9w0BBwagggLBMIICvQIBADCCArYGCSqGSIb3DQEHATAeBglghkgBZQMEAS4wEQQMaBx--HRTjcxwUGLDAgEQgIICh8Y6w3E0q_QB8E_PLgSxmQvMkkYFyIC5AaJyXFMCN1Wmd3iZH1aQYetRBXgHniLlxXB4x8ojfOcZOW46bYe6z57Xbna-dJRhyzm0F78qgBPlDRrtmf9m0nwclsbXMyIoCiCv0pP8NLkDTVCe1XGR44V3a1cgkextktKlFqasxb5VEGMnTJI2Q0Sog2DPt-k1oSUIdp5t5vfTRM_wNzGK4Irikp-4VPmeFhl7CZf_-scrYtxS8_iCIJlbguizB-9z2Btrf68v0DmPmeQFJz2PAvgb9a0smdVVQcYWykO1odDTlnKrIwL42LFH14Um61XNq3T-udg9mHzQbLG2n76oc853y5dXZ1_3CIqWspK-tiDkctYl9j_kxmKxaKl2Bj99Ipkwl-HtlR49g_m585KsEFPoLIGdx8orBaEDx-DsxxSqIYnw5kB8auFbJNyZkvF0A-WhtmBUi14xgmcHKJ7EKEOfWUM2aSoY04s19Ed2XZEL_r0_k9XfQnQ0iu5kFPWYPKvF028ivmG4ZZ__EEZnyYZL_yQTs7UUMovqNMbdD1Z2KBNKUx6t_mzJj5akQ8j7M7GWe-cEfVtH4N2FEnrQiJyv1qxULdcHW5esxIMrWPjao0H6tYwAooviPKFK4j-WiqYiUXdUVKxhlhmcPxFie824UU-x4sMVIc6zfbIC74sxXpPTgoGEs0gTNtYbkS95FUvuq3fE4AbpEaH_VgSaOPeLUjMU5ePBcCkALg38lKoZgtdOoMgl3pT3YgTsWZGrdE4H3PwowBPlJuoJqTpBuabuYkZN2txEeSBCphU5QjDWweHoJx_htqCjBUIHHnd4v8mgLpN_U_3Z5t1gz1cDC68AvmGF01mn

Simon

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 12, 2023, 07:37:07 AM »
Hello folks
Just some tips from my personal experience with seedling yangmei trees here in Portugal northwest Atlantic coast (climate 9a):

From seeds planted back in 2013 and 2014 I successfully grew 12 seedlings. According to my records, one seedling sprouted in 2014 and all others in 2015.
Grew these seedlings in pots for some years and eventually planted all outside in the open back in 2016 or 2017 (don’t recall exact dates)
All seedlings grew well with no special care and got first flowers on a female plant back in 2020. No fruit set because no male flowers around.
In 2021 had first flowers on 3 other seedlings (1 male + 2 females ). All females had good fruit set as soon I got first male flowers in the orchard.
In 2022 all seedling trees flowered and fruited, and I ended up with exactly 6 males and 6 females.
So, my personal experience is that in 5 to 6 years from seed you can get seedlings to flower and fruit, and apparently chances are 50/50 to grow male or female trees from seed.

Absolutely you must consider having at least a male tree around your females to get good fruit set.
The main difference I have observed on male seedling trees is the vigor of the flowers and the timing of pollen production, meaning I have a male tree that starts shedding pollen very early in the year (early February) while others only start shedding pollen by march.
On the female seedling trees, I have noted a lot of variations on fruit quality, and so far, I have 4 out of 6 females that I already considered to be keepers and worth of propagation.
The 2 female seedling trees that I rated negatively for now were only because they produced lower caliber fruits even if the taste was still very good, but even these will be observed in the coming years for further evaluation as for now these 2 female trees were only on their first year of fruit set.
Two of my female seedling trees are producing what I consider excellent fruits in terms of fruit caliber and taste (a black fruit variety and a bright red fruit variety)
One of the female seedling trees is remarkable because of fruit ripeness precocity. This one show mature female flowers very early in the year (early to mid-February) and then starts ripening fruits by end of May, while the other female seedlings only start giving ripe fruits by end of June and early July, so basically this female tree gives me ripe yangmei fruits one full month ahead of others and extends the fruiting season.

For those familiar with my Facebook page you can find there some photos and videos of my Yangmei trees and fruits. Just look for "Miguel PT" on Facebook.

Before starting my experience with these 12 seedlings, I also grew a grafted tree from a supposed self-fertile variety. I imported this tree from a nursery in England back in 2008. I believe the English nursery imported it directly from China.
This grafted tree grew well and started flowering while still in a pot, and all flowers I could observe were clearly female. Even with closer observation I never detected any male flowers on this tree.
For years it flowered consistently without setting any fruits but eventually it had some fruit set some years, but the fruits were always in small quantity and production was not consistence with some years with zero fruit set, and other years with fruit set on only some branches.
On my records I found first photos of my Yangmei fruits dated from 2016 and I remember I’ve had fruits before but unfortunately, I didn’t kept any photos of it, but I still think I might have the record of the first Yangmei fruits produced in Europe.
My observation is that this self-fertile tree did in fact produced some male flowers, but not consistently and the quantity of pollen is not enough to assure good pollination and fruit set.

This is an ongoing experience, and these are for now my first report of results and comments.
Hope it can be helpful for you, guys.
Just keep it growing and good luck to you all Yangmei aficionados
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 08:52:19 AM by Miguel.pt »

Miguel.pt

• Portugal, Northwest, climate 9a/9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 12, 2023, 08:49:12 AM »
Hello folks
Just some tips from my personal experience with seedling yangmei trees here in Portugal northwest Atlantic coast (climate 9a):

From seeds planted back in 2013 and 2014 I successfully grew 12 seedlings. According to my records, one seedling sprouted in 2014 and all others in 2015.
Grew these seedlings in pots for some years and eventually planted all outside in the open back in 2016 or 2017 (don’t recall exact dates)
All seedlings grew well with no special care and got first flowers on a female plant back in 2020. No fruit set because no male flowers around.
In 2021 had first flowers on 3 other seedlings (1 male + 2 females ). All females had good fruit set as soon I got first male flowers in the orchard.
In 2022 all seedling trees flowered and fruited, and I ended up with exactly 6 males and 6 females.
So, my personal experience is that in 5 to 6 years from seed you can get seedlings to flower and fruit, and apparently chances are 50/50 to grow male or female trees from seed.

Absolutely you must consider having at least a male tree around your females to get good fruit set.
The main difference I have observed on male seedling trees is the vigor of the flowers and the timing of pollen production, meaning I have a male tree that starts shedding pollen very early in the year (early February) while others only start shedding pollen by march.
On the female seedling trees, I have noted a lot of variations on fruit quality, and so far, I have 4 out of 6 females that I already considered to be keepers and worth of propagation.
The 2 female seedling trees that I rated negatively for now were only because they produced lower caliber fruits even if the taste was still very good, but even these will be observed in the coming years for further evaluation as for now these 2 female trees were only on their first year of fruit set.
Two of my female seedling trees are producing what I consider excellent fruits in terms of fruit caliber and taste (a black fruit variety and a bright red fruit variety)
One of the female seedling trees is remarkable because of fruit ripeness precocity. This one show mature female flowers very early in the year (early to mid-February) and then starts ripening fruits by end of May, while the other female seedlings only start giving ripe fruits by end of June and early July, so basically this female tree gives me ripe yangmei fruits one full month ahead of others and extends the fruiting season.

For those familiar with my Facebook page you can find there some photos and videos of my Yangmei trees and fruits. Just look for "Miguel PT" on Facebook.

Before starting my experience with these 12 seedlings, I also grew a grafted tree from a supposed self-fertile variety. I imported this tree from a nursery in England back in 2008. I believe the English nursery imported it directly from China.
This grafted tree grew well and started flowering while still in a pot, and all flowers I could observe were clearly female. Even with closer observation I never detected any male flowers on this tree.
For years it flowered consistently without setting any fruits but eventually it had some fruit set some years, but the fruits were always in small quantity and production was not consistence with some years with zero fruit set, and other years with fruit set on only some branches.
On my records I found first photos of my Yangmei fruits dated from 2016 and I remember I’ve had fruits before but unfortunately, I didn’t kept any photos of it, but I still think I might have the record of the first Yangmei fruits produced in Europe.
My observation is that this self-fertile tree did in fact produced some male flowers, but not consistently and the quantity of pollen is not enough to assure good pollination and fruit set.

This is an ongoing experience, and these are for now my first report of results and comments.
Hope it can be helpful for you, guys.
Just keep it growing and good luck to you all Yangmei aficionados

Just to add a follow up on this story:
The reason I planted Yangmei seeds back in 2013 and 2014 was to try to get a male tree to pollinate the grafted female tree I already had growing in my orchard.
Unfortunately, this more than 10 years old grafted tree was destroyed by a huge flood we had here back in December 2019.
This tree was already more than 3 meters high with a trunk circumference of 20 cm, but somehow the water flow broke the tree trunk at ground level and the entire tree floated down stream.
When the water level recessed, I went down river looking for my tree, but I never managed to find the whole tree.
Luckily, I found some broken branches with green leaves still on it and managed to successfully graft one of those branches on a seedling, so this variety isn’t lost and it’s still growing on my personal Yangmei collection.
Now I can only imagine the quantity of fruits I could have had if this tree was still alive when the first male seedling started flowering.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 09:35:16 AM by Miguel.pt »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 12, 2023, 10:12:36 AM »
For those members want to grow YangMei by seeds.  I brought about 30 seeds from eBay 2 years ago, it took over a year to germinated and only 1 sprouted.  I did another one on Nov 2022, so far no sign of sprouting yet.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 12, 2023, 11:21:48 AM »
For those members want to grow YangMei by seeds.  I brought about 30 seeds from eBay 2 years ago, it took over a year to germinated and only 1 sprouted.  I did another one on Nov 2022, so far no sign of sprouting yet.

I am surprised the Calmei fruit to seedling pipeline isn't more full. The fruit was very expensive so I didn't let any of the seeds go to waste, they all got potted, and I'm seeing new sprouts every day now. I think freshness of seed is paramount in yangmei (and a lot of patience waiting for it to sprout). I think I bought those fruit around July or August.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk