Author Topic: 2022 December Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order  (Read 35342 times)

thesimsdude

• United States, Fl, Auburndale Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 December Yangmei (Myrica Rubra) Group Order
« Reply #450 on: February 05, 2023, 11:06:37 AM »
UH OH GUYS, I see a weird type of infection on some of the trees I’ve never seen before, looks like fungus or spores growing all through the buddy tape on a few trees, take a look, I’m going to cut them down to the rootstock and burn them

Isn't that just mold? That tree is dead then...Just what happens to dead wood?

It wasn’t dead a few days ago, looked like rapid decline, I hope it’s just dead and fungal growth emerging but don’t want any spores to spread. Better safe than sorry

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 05, 2023, 11:35:40 AM »
thesimsdude post made me worried- and the darker spots under the parafilm referenced earlier was beginning to spread to I unwrapped and it looks like some mold may have taken root

So what to do? cut it off? I am a bit hesitant because there is nodes pushing on this branch- that said there are other healthy branches pushing too.

I also have this product called Cavicide- which is approved by the EPA
CaviCide is a hospital-grade, ready-to-use multipurpose disinfectant and cleanser, and it is approved by the EPA.

and is an incredibly effective broad treatment that I could dab on the affected area-
This broad-spectrum intermediate-level surface disinfectant has the power to kill tuberculosis, viruses, fungi, and bacteria within minutes.

I have unwrapped the affected areas to drop the RH in the immediate
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 11:37:13 AM by elouicious »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 05, 2023, 12:30:40 PM »
Hydrogen peroxide spray or dunk to kill the mold?

thesimsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 05, 2023, 12:37:05 PM »
Elocious, when I saw buds and unwrapped one of the trees with buds on it, it immediately started to loose moisture and die back, maybe my humidity wasn’t high enough, although it was around 60-70% humidity and filtered sunlight, I’m leaving the tape on for now and will remove when leaves and roots develop.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 05, 2023, 01:15:35 PM »
I've kept mine in the sun to not let mold form. Of course sun here is weaker than soCAl so take precautions.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 05, 2023, 01:18:59 PM »
thesimsdude post made me worried- and the darker spots under the parafilm referenced earlier was beginning to spread to I unwrapped and it looks like some mold may have taken root

So what to do? cut it off? I am a bit hesitant because there is nodes pushing on this branch- that said there are other healthy branches pushing too.

I also have this product called Cavicide- which is approved by the EPA
CaviCide is a hospital-grade, ready-to-use multipurpose disinfectant and cleanser, and it is approved by the EPA.

and is an incredibly effective broad treatment that I could dab on the affected area-
This broad-spectrum intermediate-level surface disinfectant has the power to kill tuberculosis, viruses, fungi, and bacteria within minutes.

I have unwrapped the affected areas to drop the RH in the immediate
Elouicious,
those buds look promising. Keep us updated on your course of action.

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 05, 2023, 01:30:44 PM »
I've kept mine in the sun to not let mold form. Of course sun here is weaker than soCAl so take precautions.
Sunlight is the best medicine!

20 mins today for the affected trees

UH OH GUYS, I see a weird type of infection on some of the trees I’ve never seen before, looks like fungus or spores growing all through the buddy tape on a few trees, take a look, I’m going to cut them down to the rootstock and burn them

Isn't that just mold? That tree is dead then...Just what happens to dead wood?

It wasn’t dead a few days ago, looked like rapid decline, I hope it’s just dead and fungal growth emerging but don’t want any spores to spread. Better safe than sorry

FWIW mine looks different than this, the RH should be near 100 with the tape jobs I did-

I have a bottle of dilute peroxide at the ready as well, Thanks Jonah!

on the plus side Crystal is looking good and the first to make it through the tape on its own- to expand on a note I previously read somewhere, it seems like the trees with the fewest branches are pushing the quickest, I dont know if I would go as far as removing other branches but it is an interesting observation

« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 03:55:49 PM by elouicious »

tru

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 05, 2023, 01:44:59 PM »
might be a weird request but could I get a closeup? I have a mold nerd friend that may possibly be of help
instagram @trumansacco

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 05, 2023, 01:50:45 PM »
Elouicious,
those buds look promising. Keep us updated on your course of action.

Thanks Jabo, All my trees are looking like that now- one advantage of my new living arrangement is I have no space and way less plants so each one gets more attention- also my and the groups previous failures

might be a weird request but could I get a closeup? I have a mold nerd friend that may possibly be of help

not sure I can get more of a closeup than that but I will try-

looks to be of the white powdery variety, also if you click on the image (once to open the link and then click again) you can see a pretty zoomed in version
« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 01:57:34 PM by elouicious »

elouicious

• Houston, Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 08, 2023, 01:30:24 PM »
small update-

I made a knick in the bark because I was worried about the dark spots and it was a brilliant green underneath-

I have also been placing them outside for ~5-6 hours in the shade now in the hope that some fresh air will do the (now exposed) dark spots some good and it appears the new buds are tolerating it alright-

Crystal is still the quickest pusher so far with some nice leaves coming through now

deepescape

• USA, CA, San Jose, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 09, 2023, 12:32:53 PM »
I have five (4F+1M) trees. Four of them have started to leaf out. They are in 1 gallon bags with HP Pro mix. They are under a grow light/large plastic bag in my garage for now.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 09, 2023, 02:20:13 PM »
I have five (4F+1M) trees. Four of them have started to leaf out. They are in 1 gallon bags with HP Pro mix. They are under a grow light/large plastic bag in my garage for now.

Congrats! Once they start to leaf out, as long as they're not over watered, you're basically in the clear. What varieties did you get?

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 09, 2023, 03:10:03 PM »

Congrats! Once they start to leaf out, as long as they're not over watered, you're basically in the clear. What varieties did you get?

I would disagree. Leaves do not mean roots. It means stored energy.

deepescape

• USA, CA, San Jose, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 09, 2023, 03:39:53 PM »
Will keep fingers crossed then :-).

I got Biqi, Anhai, Black crystal, WuSu (replacement as Bill ran out of DongKui by the time I got to his home to pick up the trees)

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 09, 2023, 04:30:44 PM »

Fair enough. But all mine that threw early leaves grew. It means the tree recovered and is building roots. I’ve don’t think the trees have enough energy to push if the roots don’t grow. Anyways, you’ll see as the buds can have rapid dieback. But you’re right probably got too excited.

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 09, 2023, 05:08:38 PM »

Fair enough. But all mine that threw early leaves grew. It means the tree recovered and is building roots. I’ve don’t think the trees have enough energy to push if the roots don’t grow. Anyways, you’ll see as the buds can have rapid dieback. But you’re right probably got too excited.
It's definitely not a bad sign, but I would not say you're in the clear if anything is pushing leaves. I have cuttings push leaves all the time and then don't root and die. I have grafted scions push leaves, but don't heal and die.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 09, 2023, 07:55:24 PM »
I did see the same thing with the small buds/leaves in the 2nd order, then all of them died.

thesimsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 16, 2023, 11:28:12 AM »
would these yangmei that we have benefit from a mycorhizae innoculant added to the soil?

RevivalR00ts

• US, CA, Corona, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 16, 2023, 02:51:44 PM »
would these yangmei that we have benefit from a mycorhizae innoculant added to the soil?

It definitely can't hurt.

thesimsdude

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 28, 2023, 04:11:48 PM »

Not in the Clear yet, but these look promising!

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 28, 2023, 09:44:44 PM »

Here’s why the scratch test isn’t the best with bare root trees.
Trunk still green, but all the roots are shriveled and dead. Not gonna grow.
When the trees came, the roots were already wrecked. Really hard to get to grow again even with right care. Tree will then die back from the tips.

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: March 01, 2023, 01:28:18 PM »
I notice that my trees also have very few roots, on average 2 root branches.  I wonder if the seller pruned the roots too much.  I also wonder if the roots would have a better chance to not dry out if we request the seller to place the tree in clear plastic bags.  That way, the roots are partially protected for a short trip to the US from China and it would not impede agriculture inspection.  Just a thought.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 01, 2023, 02:33:40 PM »
I notice that my trees also have very few roots, on average 2 root branches.  I wonder if the seller pruned the roots too much.  I also wonder if the roots would have a better chance to not dry out if we request the seller to place the tree in clear plastic bags.  That way, the roots are partially protected for a short trip to the US from China and it would not impede agriculture inspection.  Just a thought.

Wet roots + sealed plastic = mold.

alexwy

• Fremont
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 22, 2023, 07:03:04 PM »
Mine finally start to bud it seems, all six of them.  Will post pictures in a few days if I see anything green. For those who are still waiting, don't give up just yet.  FYI, I never put the pots indoors.  It's been outside with plastic overhead cover since day one, going through all the storms we had in the bay area.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 22, 2023, 08:03:59 PM »
Hey! I'm taking statistics class right now and it's always cool to see how data and stuff works.
I've made a short survey about your success rates on this yangmei order. This is to help benefit the community for future group buys - we will see what techniques led to the best turnout of success. Individual data will not be shared, sold, or distributed  ;). This means that we will not know that Jaboticaba45 got 5 and lost all 5... Only the data as a whole will be presented right back to the forum to further the yangmei quest. Based off the data, we may be able to draw conclusions on how to better revive bareroot yangmei.
Here's the link to the survey -
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScxHkYHM6yxp33tqOrZmY_7tDbhNI3dbv1BHoT3kTPBRpoXqw/viewform?usp=sf_link
If you have any questions, please let me know!