Author Topic: Bahia Seed Drop: Annona Salzmannii, Myrciaria, Eugenia, Psidium...  (Read 1766 times)

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
Hello fellow fruit addicts. I am back from my latest adventure and have some seeds to offer. I will have a second drop releasing more seeds next week. If you want to follow along with my adventures, then I have some youtube videos that will show the biomes we are finding these species.

https://youtu.be/IWGIIFWuMcM
Hancornia speciosa Red Mangaba the rare and difficult to grow is on a buy 2 get 1 free special. I collected as many seeds as I could to offer them at a good price. They are very difficult to grow and even some of the best Brazilian growers struggle.

www.hapajoesnursery.com

Annona Dioica
Annona Salzmannii "Pires Gigante"
Annona Salzmannii "Amarillo Gigante"
Annona Salzmannii "Amarillo"
Annona Salzmannii "comprida"
Annona spinescens "Bahia"
Crateva Tapia
Psidium sp Bahia Amarillo Grande
Eugenia sp Amarillo de Bahia Caatinga
Eugenia hirta
Mouriri Puca Preta
Myrciaria Gin and Tonic
Myrciaria sp Jaboticainho Azul
Myrciaria sp Vermelha de Caatinga (Germinated)

Much Much more will drop next week. Make sure you sign up for the newsletter to get the drop!

fruitlove

• SoCal 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Bahia Seed Drop: Annona Salzmannii, Myrciaria, Eugenia, Psidium...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 08:26:50 PM »
Is Psidium sp Bahia Amarillo Grande similar to psidium robustum? Are the seeds big or small, hard or soft? Any pictures of the pulp?

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 08:35:00 PM »
It is in the video link above.  The pulp was juicy and sweet.  The seeds are hard and larger than most psidium seeds I have gathered. 

Giant Gecko

• USA,NC,Welcome,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 09:12:18 PM »
Another awesome fruit expedition Joe! I enjoyed all the videos. I was recently reading some articles about plants native to low pH soil where the aluminum becomes soluble, there are some species that are not only tolerant some have improved growth. Hancornia speciosa is one that grew better with low dosage of AL vs none. They might grow better with some vermiculite in the media mix or a little aluminum sulfate added. Looks like there is several varieties of Psidium cattleianum. You guys found a winner.

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2023, 09:01:32 AM »
Brazil oBidos
With unique
Pajurá de óbidos (Pouteria Speciosa)
At this time is the season of result ;)

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 09:22:11 AM »
Yes.  I have a bunch of pouteria speciosa seeds (huge seeds and difficult to source viable seeds) but will grow these out and sell some as seedlings :) you are right. This is one I have been looking for a long time.  ;D In Brazil they think it’s going to be a commercial crop and I know some people are working on producing it commercially.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2023, 09:54:16 AM »
Their are some other cool Pajurá (Couepia bracteosa)

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2023, 10:42:38 AM »
I have Pajuro gigante and Pajuro normal too.  Just need time to clean and process these but because of the size of the seed will probably germinate these too.

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2023, 02:40:35 AM »
Pajuro gigante ;)I provide pictures, otherwise everyone does not know what they look like.

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2023, 02:50:15 AM »
Yes.  I have a bunch of pouteria speciosa seeds (huge seeds and difficult to source viable seeds) but will grow these out and sell some as seedlings :) you are right. This is one I have been looking for a long time.  ;D In Brazil they think it’s going to be a commercial crop and I know some people are working on producing it commercially.
Will you sell germination seeds?
Because seedlings are not feasible for international transportation. Thank you very much for your reply
In addition, will you travel to Venezula La National Park?
Last year I heard you want to go to Venezula National Park to find Duguetia Lepidota Yara Yara :D

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2023, 09:32:59 AM »
2nd that Duguetia Lepidota Yara Yara!

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2023, 09:45:44 AM »
2nd that Duguetia Lepidota Yara Yara!
Venezula National Park's central location
But Venezula travel is very troublesome.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2023, 09:39:22 PM »
Dada used get seed of Duguetia Lepidota Yara Yara in Venezuela rarely but  he has disappeared.Vitor had some very very rare huge fruited Duguetia from Brazil but i was new then did not get a chance to acquire any before he disappeared.
Vitor https://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=2102
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 09:55:04 PM by shot »

wangyouqin

• china
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2023, 11:59:46 PM »
Dada used get seed of Duguetia Lepidota Yara Yara in Venezuela rarely but  he has disappeared.Vitor had some very very rare huge fruited Duguetia from Brazil but i was new then did not get a chance to acquire any before he disappeared.

DADA lives in Colombia, Bogotá has two 2 meters high Duguetia Lepidota
Fruit may be produced next year. The tree is 6 years old
Because plants are in Venezuela. It has been difficult to travel Venezula in recent years. Therefore, DADA did not collect seeds, and note that the seeds of www.rarepalmseeds.com were sold in 2020, please do not buy. No germination rate :D

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2023, 08:27:23 AM »
 www.rarepalmseeds.com were sold in 2020 yes I had bad experience two times with those seeds!!

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2023, 09:33:32 PM »

yeah, what happened to vitor?  He had some crazy stuff.

Paraponera

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2023, 12:35:10 AM »

Wish I knew where Vitor was. His seeds were top quality every time.
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better."

Albert Einstein

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2023, 05:34:09 PM »

Wish I knew where Vitor was. His seeds were top quality every time.

Maybe 5-7 years since I last heard from him

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2023, 10:37:05 PM »
Had Vitors seed list in my emails for years it was torture to see the list so i finally deleted it because of no communication arg.I did manage to get a few seeds from him.I think life got in the way and it became very difficult to get seeds out then,now their is political turmoil. Seed collecting is difficult job and thankless at times. Appreciate them and take advantage of what they have as it could be fleeting.

palologrower

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2023, 10:54:49 PM »
Had Vitors seed list in my emails for years it was torture to see the list so i finally deleted it because of no communication arg.I did manage to get a few seeds from him.I think life got in the way and it became very difficult to get seeds out then,now their is political turmoil. Seed collecting is difficult job and thankless at times. Appreciate them and take advantage of what they have as it could be fleeting.

Definitely appreciate the stuff Joe does now

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2023, 01:45:30 PM »
Not to mention dangerous as well. I don't think Vitor has been seen or heard from since those times . Harvest windows's can be short and it's amazing when the timing can come together to collect seed on some of these missions, not to mention keep them viable  over land and sea.

SouthBayHapaJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2023, 02:10:23 PM »
Talked to Vitor two trips ago. Awesome guy but he is done seed exploration. The risk to reward was not worth it.  I am experiencing the same thing. Unfortunately with the influx of cheap seeds that devalue the work of the actual explorers it’s just not worth it. I am transitioning  from a seed shop to seedling and trees for the nursery business. None of these expeditions are vacations and except for a few
Duguetia and Pouteria species I still want to find, then I’d rather be at home with my family and dogs raising the trees I spent a lot of blood sweat and mosquito bites  to procure.  Hopefully we can keep the prices up so locals have to incentive to go out and hunt.