Author Topic: Finding Land in South FL  (Read 2055 times)

EddieF

• s.e. florida
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Land in South FL
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2023, 07:39:28 PM »
Hammer, yes if older home.  Newer cheaper but still pricey.
Alternative is build it bulletproof & don't get hurricane ins.

kapps

• Florida, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2023, 07:41:48 PM »
Yes insurance is going up and some insurers have left the state. It helps a lot if you’re in a new block home but that just helps for wind mitigation. Flooding is a whole other story. I would not be looking in low-lying areas because it’s only going to get worse as sea levels rise. There’s an added risk of developers coming in and building up the surrounding areas which cause your land to flood even easier. I’d look at an elevation map of the state before choosing any land.

Jabo, I’ve had similar thoughts as you of just buying land as I try to decide where I want to retire (10-15 yr horizon) but to me, the benefit of growing fruit is being able to walk out of my back door and enjoy watching things grow. Needing to drive (or fly!) to your food forest really turns it into work as opposed to fun.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2023, 08:29:15 PM »
Oh I didn't realize you were trying to turn a profit.  Yes, definitely greenhouses are not the way to go then :)
Not really in for a profit, but hoping to get a decent amount of fruit LOL.
But still, what we do as growers up north never ceases to amaze the folks down south ;D or so they say

My recommendation save your money buy a standard .25 acre lot in PSL (will cost 80k to 110k depending on lot). Unfrotunately the days of 10k lots is over about 10 years ago. Make sure its 5mi or less near intercoastal or near river or canal.

You can do coconuts, mangos, and most things. Never gets colder then 32f really. Plant closer to edges of lot and in backyard. Plan to build after money saved up. Live or rent out home in future.

Mangoes and coconuts are bullet proof if you time the plantings during start of rain season.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2023, 09:42:45 PM »
You might be able to lease land fairly cheaply under certain circumstances.

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2023, 10:29:43 PM »
Oh I didn't realize you were trying to turn a profit.  Yes, definitely greenhouses are not the way to go then :)
But still, what we do as growers up north never ceases to amaze the folks down south ;D or so they say

My recommendation save your money buy a standard .25 acre lot in PSL (will cost 80k to 110k depending on lot). Unfrotunately the days of 10k lots is over about 10 years ago. Make sure its 5mi or less near intercoastal or near river or canal.

You can do coconuts, mangos, and most things. Never gets colder then 32f really. Plant closer to edges of lot and in backyard. Plan to build after money saved up. Live or rent out home in future.

Mangoes and coconuts are bullet proof if you time the plantings during start of rain season.
Thanks for the info.
I've stopped several times in the area on the way up and down the coast.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2023, 10:32:54 PM »
I'm actually very interested in Pine Island. Seems like an acre there goes for about 100k. My parents think it's a good place too also. Can always build later.
I'll report back in several months...maybe something can happen! Hope to stop by the island when I'll be down.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2023, 11:16:59 PM »

Thanks for the info.
I've stopped several times in the area on the way up and down the coast.

No problem, you can also buy homes with already mature fruit trees. I just got one with at least a 20 year old seedling lychee, longan, also has a jabo, and mature mangoes.

Problem with Pine island is the hurricane risk and insurance costs. In Port Saint Lucie a CBS home in a non flood risk area can be insured for under 2k a year.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 11:22:23 PM by nullzero »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2023, 11:29:39 PM »
I'm actually very interested in Pine Island. Seems like an acre there goes for about 100k. My parents think it's a good place too also. Can always build later.
I'll report back in several months...maybe something can happen! Hope to stop by the island when I'll be down.

Another thing about Pine Island is elevation. Average elevation is 7ft above sea-level which is lower then Miami average at 11ft. Port Saint Lucie has 23ft average for comparison. Of course it is going to be property specific.

Jaboticaba45

• Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2023, 11:34:40 PM »

Another thing about Pine Island is elevation. Average elevation is 7ft above sea-level which is lower then Miami average at 11ft. Port Saint Lucie has 23ft average for comparison. Of course it is going to be property specific.
Thank you also for this. Definitely another factor to consider when looking at potential properties.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2023, 11:41:25 PM »

Thank you also for this. Definitely another factor to consider when looking at potential properties.

No problem, I did the research extensively when I bought a home a while back. Proximity to airports, major metro, crime, infrastructure condition, amount of land, and ability to grow some good tropical fruit crops outside with no protection, and cost of real estate.

fruitmonger

• S Florida 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2023, 09:52:28 AM »
How about Lehigh Acres?

There is still cheap land over that way....lots of it

You could probably find land that neighbors a lake or canal that would help with the occasional dip in the mercury

"The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now." Chinese proverb

Gottahaveit

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2023, 10:43:00 AM »
There are 1/2 acre lots on Pine island in flood x zones that go for about 45k. Clearing it will run you about $1600.

dwfl

• Bokeelia
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2023, 06:02:26 PM »

Try to find land on the island ridge. It's high enough to be out of the flood zone. Just look for zone X on any potential land purchase.

TheVeggieProfessor

• Broward County, FL, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2023, 07:54:52 PM »
For me, I like the idea of putting an RV on it

I'm in Broward county. It's funny that this thread popped up today. I have an okay piece of property, but we were interested in getting a summer place somewhere closer to the beach where we can still grow coconuts where land is affordable. We were very interested in pine island. I'm afraid that what you are describing is not possible due to zoning. If you are going to spend the night on the property, it will have to be in a house built to florida building code. The same was true everywhere else I called.

Fruit Jungle

• Loxahatchee, Florida Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2023, 09:11:43 PM »
Property in coastal Florida relative to inland has it's downfalls as well. Of course there is price, but hurricane decay means the wind speeds aren't nearly as great inland as they are closer to coast. This is a good site explaining it..
http://www.hurricanescience.org/science/science/hurricanedecay/

Considering the east coast of south Florida hasn't experienced a direct hit from a severe hurricane since Andrew in '92, and the next one could wipe out many east of I95, and the growing conditions are really only marginally better relative to inland, you couldn't pay me to buy land near the coast, I'll stick to the swampy inlands. Sure, I would have to spray fungicides to grow some mangos and it's not worth it, but almost every other fruit tree does just fine and I have 5 acres to play with.

As for flooding, elevation is less important than having a place to drain your property after a flood. For example, you can have an area with higher average elevation, but it will stay wet for two weeks because of proximity to a drainage canal, compared to another property that is lower in elevation but you have a 4 inch trash pump, site drainage plan, and an adjacent nearby drainage canal and you're dry in a two days.

You want to buy land in sfl? Focus on your finances, forget the "side hustle", chose a real career path (engineer, doctor, lawyer,etc) and prepare to make major sacrifices.

Option 2, if you can stomach leaving your tribe, I never could, is South or Central America.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 09:20:51 PM by Fruit Jungle »