Author Topic: Consuming Ripe Fruit, Right Now, for the First Time This Year  (Read 17473 times)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Today I ate the following fruit from my yard:

Everbearing Mulberry
Pakistani Mulberry
Chirimoya annona
Chokanon mango
Haden mango
Tikal sapodilla

I started this because sometimes when I walk out on my yard, there are no fruit to eat. My goal is to always have some ripe fruit available, everyday of the year.
My hope is that when in those days, when there is no ripe fruit to eat in the home yard, I and others can log on and see what fruit variety is ripening at someone elses.
And, after considering some factors, like Zone and tree location, one may then bring it and add it to the home yard.
I hope that many Forum members contribute to this endeavor as much as they can; Whatever your Zone is, I, and I'm sure others also, would really wanna know what ripe fruit are you eating from your yard Today.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:29:14 PM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

mikesid

• Zone 10B/11a - East Boynton Beach - Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Facestuffing with Ripe Fruit Right Now
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 06:07:17 AM »

Everbearing Mulberry
Pakistani Mulberry
Chirimoya annona
Chokanon mango
Haden mango
Tikal sapodilla

I started this because sometimes when I walk out on my yard, there are no fruit to eat. My goal is to always have some ripe fruit available, everyday of the year.
My hope is that when in those days, when there is no ripe fruit to eat in the home yard, I and others can log on and see what fruit variety is ripening at someone elses.
And, after considering some factors, like Zone and tree location, one may then bring it and add it to the home yard.
I hope that many Forum members contribute to this endeavor as much as they can; Whatever your Zone is, I, and I'm sure others also, would really wanna know what ripe fruit are you eating from your yard Today.
You are eating a Cherimoya from your tree in South Florida? What variety of Cherimoya fruits down here?

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 07:51:33 AM »
Chirimoya is probably not what you are referring to when you ask about Cheremoya, annona cherimola.  When someone uses the term chirimoya, they are usually a native spanish speaker and they are usually referring to annona reticulata......custard apple.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:05:22 AM »
So which is it, Leo--annona cherimola or annona reticulata?
John

cwojo

• Boynton Beach, FL 33436 zone 10a/10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 11:30:33 AM »
i agree with what harry says... the spanish speaking population refers to custard apple and sugar apple as cherimoya, even the lebanese family i am friends with refer to sugar apple as cherimoya

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 06:18:53 PM »
I've hit peak annona season and am overloaded with rollinia, atemoya and sweetsop. There are also lots of peanut butter fruit, acerola, black sapote, a few panama berries that the rainbow lorikeets dont pinch, early loquats, and a few second crop grapes to be had.

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 06:41:41 PM »
I had a Cogshall mango, Silas wood sapodilla, and brazos blackberries and a bunch of blueberries today.

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 08:14:25 PM »
I've hit peak annona season and am overloaded with rollinia, atemoya and sweetsop. There are also lots of peanut butter fruit, acerola, black sapote, a few panama berries that the rainbow lorikeets dont pinch, early loquats, and a few second crop grapes to be had.

BMc
Send some pictures!
FloridaGreenMan

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 10:31:10 PM »

BMc
Send some pictures!

Sure. I work 10+ hr days so dont get a lot of daylight hours to take snaps in winter, but can try to put a platter together when I'm home. Its the tail end of Rollinia and atemoya season for me, so only a few runts left (I've almost hit the wall on annona) but sugar apple season is just starting (turns out my purple sugar apple is really green!).

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 11:16:04 PM »
Chirimoya is probably not what you are referring to when you ask about Cheremoya, annona cherimola.  When someone uses the term chirimoya, they are usually a native spanish speaker and they are usually referring to annona reticulata......custard apple.

Depends on the country. I notice that in Cuba chirimoya = Annona reticulata = custard apple. But in their native range, Peru, Argentina, and other parts of Andes chirimoya = Annona cherimola = what is usually called cherimoya in US.
Oscar

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 05:55:23 AM »

BMc
Send some pictures!

Here you go. A little after work composition after a quick pluck. the only things not from the yard there are the persimmons and figs, which were traded with a neighbour for a few rollinia and sugar apples a few days back. pic includes Paxtons Prolific atemoya (smallish end of season fruit), rollinia, sweetsop, kari carambola, peanut butter fruit, a few small finger limes, sunrise limes, cape plums, panama berries, small black sapotes,  small kampong white sapotes, purple guava, figs and persimmons. i hate this time of year, but I love the fruit!

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 06:34:37 AM »
That's what I'm talking about...nice photos! You are feasting down under!
FloridaGreenMan

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 09:08:16 AM »
Eating my first Carrie mango of the year 8) 8) which is my first real good tasting mango of the year. My Glenn mangoes came in earlier but taste kind of washed out so far and lacking sweetness. I am hoping they improve in coming days and weeks

Also been eating ripe bananas. I never cared much about bananas but backyard bananas are good!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 05:10:45 AM by zands »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 02:42:45 AM »

Harry, I stand corrected. I believe that what I referred to as Cherimoya is actually Custard Apple. If I remember correctly, Cherimoya only grows at some thousand feet above sea level. South Florida is mostly flat. Now I think I know that the type of fruit I have is Custard Apple, thanks. Pictures coming soon for much appreciated confirmation.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 02:52:21 AM »
Eating my first Carrie mango of the year 8) 8) and first real good mango of the year. My Glenn mangoes kind of washed out so far. Also been eating ripe bananas. I never cared much about bananas but backyard bananas are good!

Glenn and Carrie are really good tasty mangoes in my opinion, and definitely among my favorites. You've made some good decisions in choosing your mango cultivars.

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 03:05:27 AM »
That's what I'm talking about...nice photos! You are feasting down under!

Today I ate from my yard Chok'Anon mango, Edwards mango and papaya.

Bmc, Wonderful fruit arrangement, that's an impressive bounty. Visiting Australia one day, is definitely in my bucket list.
Mikesid, Good call on that Cherimoya doubt (Harry said it's actually Sugar Apple).
Johnb51, it looks like it's Annona Reticulata, and not Annona Cherimola.
Cwojo, dittos on your commentary about the different ethnic communities mislabeling fruit cultivars.

Hey people I must say that this is a lot of fun for me to see what types of fruit you guys are eating right now that I'm not, and that I wish I were. I can't wait to see what further comments are to come as the year progresses. Many thanks for your commentary and please keep it coming.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:31:26 PM by LEOOEL »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
I had a Cogshall mango, Silas wood sapodilla, and brazos blackberries and a bunch of blueberries today.

Cogshall mango and Silas Wood sapodilla sound yummy, and those delicious blackberries and blueberries have a lot of anti-oxidants in them. May you live a thousand years my friend.  :D

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
Re: Facestuffing Ripe Fruit Right Now
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 01:47:39 PM »
BMc, that rollinia has somewhat unusual stem. Is it one of those cultivated Australian varieties? Sputnik or whatever?

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »
Today, to my surprise, for the very first time this year, I ate my first ripe Mauritius lychee fruit and it was delicious.

They looked definitely redder than last week on the tree. So, curiously, I approached the tree and there it was, one lychee was naturally cracked wide open. This is definite evidence that the Mauritius lychees have started to ripen. Excited about this, I looked for fruit that would have the beginnings of dark-ripening-spots, and lo and behold I found a few perfectly ripe ones with that delicious Mauritius ripe lychee fruit flavor.

Today, I also had consumed from my yard, the following ripe fruit: Miracle and Haden mango, everbearing mulberry, pakistani mulberry, papaya and some good size ripe tomatoes.

ofdsurfer

• Melbourne Beach FL 32951 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »

Cogshall mango and Silas Wood sapodilla sound yummy, and those delicious blackberries and blueberries have a lot of anti-oxidants in them. May you live a thousand years my friend.  :D

Thank you very much!!  I am concerned about the squirrels in my yard upping their antioxidant levels however, this is a bad camera pic through a car window in the rain.

BMc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 07:27:54 PM »
BMc, that rollinia has somewhat unusual stem. Is it one of those cultivated Australian varieties? Sputnik or whatever?

The ones from my tree have very long stems and hang a long way off the branches. I dont know if its normal as I've never taken too much notice of the stems, just the fruit, on other folks's trees. Very different from all of my other annona though. This tree is a seedling of sputnik - bearing in 3 years, vigorous, delicious. My 2 year old loves them and jumps around yelling 'Rollin-u-ah' whenever he sees them  ;D

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 01:21:39 AM »

Thank you very much!!  I am concerned about the squirrels in my yard upping their antioxidant levels however, this is a bad camera pic through a car window in the rain.

;D Not a bad picture at all, I can see the squirrel clearly. I love squirrels and would hate to see anything bad happen to them, but I also am having a problem with them having a banquet with my Edward mangoes. Maybe we need some of those birds of prey (falcons) Mr. Clean has been talking about, to keep them under control.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:08:29 AM by LEOOEL »

LEOOEL

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 10:29:54 PM »
Today, for the first time this year, I ate my first Fairchild mango off of my Fairchild mango tree. The tree produced fruit for the first time last year, but the fruit taste was just not there, if you know what I mean. But, this year, the taste is very refreshing and good. To me it has a hint of the Carrie taste. I wish the mango size was bigger, but nevertheless, this tree is a keeper. The tree bears fruits in bunches, I find this to be a cute characteristic and aesthetically appealing. If I'm not mistaken, I think I read somewhere that the skin is also edible!

Also, today, I ate the following mangos from my yard: ChokAnon (Miracle) and Hayden.

The Edwards are all gone.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:40:50 PM by LEOOEL »

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 08:00:01 AM »

My Geffner Atemoya and Sugar apple are still pea sized.

I only have or have had so far passionfruit, jaboticaba, mango, bananas, Barbados cherry, Florida peaches and mulberry.

I am awaiting my persimmon, muscadine grapes, carambola, canistel, guava, sugar apple, atemoya, and pineapple. My sweetheart lychee managed to keep one single lychee on the tree.

Oh, I'm expecting a banner crop from my many coffee bushes :-)

Regards,

Gary

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2013, 09:50:49 AM »
Today, for the first time this year, I ate my first Fairchild mango off of my Fairchild mango tree. The tree produced fruit for the first time last year, but the fruit taste was just not there, if you know what I mean. But, this year, the taste is very refreshing and good. To me it has a hint of the Carrie taste. I wish the mango size was bigger, but nevertheless, this tree is a keeper. The tree bears fruits in bunches, I find this to be a cute characteristic and aesthetically appealing. If I'm not mistaken, I think I read somewhere that the skin is also edible!

I like my Fairchild tree for the same reasons. Pretty fruits in clusters. Smallness is irrelevant, you just eat more. Good tree to plant on your perimeter where fruit thieves may be checking things out. My theory is a smaller fruit comes from a tree that is a more reliable bearer. Small means more similar to mangoes in the wild

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk