Author Topic: One Lonely Avocado  (Read 1689 times)

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
One Lonely Avocado
« on: May 15, 2013, 02:07:02 PM »
 :)This past Fall I never got around to racking back and top working my seedling avocado. (planted out in 2005). When the tree started pushing lots of flowers this spring (this is only the second season it has flowered) I prayed to the Fruit Gods to let it hold some fruit even if it was just one for me to try, so that I could decide what to do with it.
I did a survey of the tree today and found 1 apricot sized avocado where I can actually reach it!
I so can't wait to eat this poor lonely avocado and while I wait I pray that:
1. it makes it to maturity and
2. that is rocks my socks off so the decision will become an easy one!! Until then the rest of my trees are doing great. I will post an update soon.

PS I tried to add this to my original post about this seedling tree flowering last year but I couldn't find the thread
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 02:12:43 PM by MarinFla »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: One Lonely Avocado
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 02:49:03 PM »
That's quite a wait. Hope it turns out to be a good one.

Some of the west indian seedling avocadoes turn out to be duds -- producing 2 or 3 fruits per year despite heavy flowering on a gigantic tree. I've seen this on some of the neighbors' trees.

My seedling russell (planted in 2007 or 2008) flowered for the first time this year and has only produced about a dozen or so fruits despite being like 20 feet tall. Hopefully production picks up next year. If not, she might well get a top workin.

My little 4 foot tall florida hass has a couple dozen fruits on it :-).
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 05:03:07 PM »
I am very curious to hear how your Florida Hass turns out and if you can determine the correct harvest time.  Last year I tried to determine the optimal harvest time but was unsuccessful.   All I picked turned out dreadful.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Administrator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »
OK. The ones I ate, which were incredibly delicious, had been picked by Zills. It was Oct or Nov if I remember correctly.
Jeff  :-)

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 01:49:16 PM »
This year I should get a good idea on Fl Hass I have about 10-12 fruit in 3 different trees. I'm a bit disappointed  on the quantity of fruit set. Seems like they have 3-4 month to go.
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk