Author Topic: First taste of Ubajai (Eugenia myrcianthes or Hexaclamys edulis)  (Read 16255 times)

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
Re: First taste of Ubajai (Eugenia myrcianthes or Hexaclamys edulis)
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 02:40:51 AM »
Very nice photos and descriptions of the fruit Miguel.

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »
what a joy! very nice report, I will have to look for an ubajay as soon as possible!

if anyone has some seeds, please PM

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2013, 04:44:46 PM »
The last 10 fruits were collected and handed out for different people to try and give their opinion , all were negative , nobody liked the fruit so the tree is history..I did plant all the seeds , who knows......
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 03:18:34 PM »
Luc, maybe your ubajay variety is not so good as the Miguel's one.

Folks: we just had bought 18 ubajays from a nursery here in Argentina, we hope they will give us good fruits... all will be planted at the Food Forest (www.bosquedealimentos.org) because its frost hardiness and extensive bloom that attracts pollinators; I will be reporting about them,

Cheers!

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2013, 10:37:31 PM »
Hello again

I took a photo of the leaves to show you the differences; the 2 leaves on the left are from the tree that fruited, and the one on the right is from the other Ubajai with the bluish tinged leaves (not really noticeable now but the blue tinge is very evident when the leaves are younger)

Hi Luc and Miguel and all.

Finally, we got 18 ubajays!

Bloom is quite long, so it is a very suitable tree to a forest of food because will attract many pollinators, it is a species that resists our frosts and is deciduous: suitable for our climate, then we bought them.

But the leaves are not equal to those of Luc or Miguel, I guess we have another variety, but are more like those of Miguel who have not yet fruited ...

What do you think: should I have hope that they will bear good quality fruits?

photos of some of them:

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2013, 05:36:48 AM »
What do you think: should I have hope that they will bear good quality fruits?

Amigo, lo ultimo que se pierde es la esperanza ;D  buena suerte!  ;)

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2013, 07:52:49 AM »
Regarding the taste of "garlic" on these species former classified as "Hexaclamys spp." I have one that really tastes like garlic...  seeds arrived also on the same package and if fruited last year for the first time... it arrived labelled as Hexaclamys tomentosa, and now I believe Helton calls it Eugenia anomala... this one is pure "garlic"!... last year photos next:

The fruit shape and color is very similar to the ones of the Ubajai that fruited this year, but on this Hexaclamys tomentosa the leaves are much more slender and the tree habit is more "Bushy"... Is it possible that I have an hybrid between these two Hexaclamys spp. ???

Oscar,

It’s been about 12 years since I set eyes on the tree at the Fullerton arboretum, but if my memory isn’t faulty the leaves are very similar to those pictured above of the Hexaclamys tomentosa/ Eugenia anomala, not the wider leaves in Miguel’s other pictures.  Back then it never fruited much, in fact it only had one fruit on it the year I tried it and it was a fairly large tree.  The fruit I tried was very soft and probably over ripe but it definitely was not something I would go back for seconds of. 

Sven

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »
Hello again

I took a photo of the leaves to show you the differences; the 2 leaves on the left are from the tree that fruited, and the one on the right is from the other Ubajai with the bluish tinged leaves (not really noticeable now but the blue tinge is very evident when the leaves are younger)

This difference on the leaves shape, color and general aspect was evident right from the beginning and in fact I always treated the tree with the slender/greener leaves better than all the others because it was prettier, and diferent... don't know if this is the reason why it fruited first... and I need now the get one of the others to fruit to see if there is some noticeable difference on the fruits also...

Regarding the taste of "garlic" on these species former classified as "Hexaclamys spp." I have one that really tastes like garlic...  seeds arrived also on the same package and if fruited last year for the first time... it arrived labelled as Hexaclamys tomentosa, and now I believe Helton calls it Eugenia anomala... this one is pure "garlic"!... last year photos next:

The fruit shape and color is very similar to the ones of the Ubajai that fruited this year, but on this Hexaclamys tomentosa the leaves are much more slender and the tree habit is more "Bushy"... Is it possible that I have an hybrid between these two Hexaclamys spp. ???

Hi again... I insist comparing leaves, this should give us a clue about different varieties.

I brought to my yard a 1.8m tall Ubajay to follow it closely, I will plant it in a bigger pot and fertilize to see how it responds.

http://youtu.be/lkLIBcEgyPw

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 12:22:39 PM »
This is my myrcianthes, the leaves dropped for a little bit, and now it has started flowering. On a another post I was told it was this, the flavor of the fruit is acidic and doesn't smell too nice. Any of you guys with this, do your flowers and new leaves look like this.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 06:19:48 PM by marklee »

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2018, 04:57:44 PM »
Hi, I hope someone else got a sweet ubajay! our for now are acid, I have from another varieties but we will have to wait...

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 12:07:08 PM »
I went to the Fullerton Arboretum yesterday, and saw their Hexachlamys edulis. I talked to one of the staff there, and she said she didn't think she'd seen it fruit. There were a few fruit on it, and one was ripe with some ants on one side, but I didn't pressure her to pick it for us to try, since there were lots of signs warning it was illegal to eat the fruit in the Arboretum. The newest leaves are a bit pubescent/fuzzy, but by the time they are dark green they have lost almost all their pubescence. The leaves are also much narrower than huertasurbanas's, and the fruits more elongated, lemon-shaped than the other pictures here. Probably a garlic one. Pictures below. The first is the biggest of my seedlings of huertasurbanas's sweet one. Even the oldest leaves (not all that old, but dark green already) are still pubescent.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:13:20 PM by NateTheGreat »

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2020, 11:52:22 AM »
No news here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:49:34 AM by Frog Valley Farm »