Author Topic: Identify Pitaya  (Read 4807 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Identify Pitaya
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:56:15 PM »
I have a Pitaya that I allowed to climb up the side of our house, naturally it decided to flower on the roof. 

Can someone identify the variety?  It was supposed to be a Makisupa,  but I noticed the flower is yellow, with red tips. kind of pretty. my other Pitaya just has white flowers.

William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

cgps

• general fruticulture
  • really, i am new always
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
    • agroengineer in progress
Re: Identify Pitaya
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:08:20 PM »
William, i belive really to know that kind of pintaya is, this cactus dont produce fruits of high quality, but  to i am more oriented, you should to talk me about the person that give you this Pitaya,especially what he told you about the plant ok.

Ahh... and excuse me my english that I am not so good really....

Saludos

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 01:54:57 AM »
Is the stem blueish grey in color and have spiny thorns. Could be hylocerus ocamponis, but your seems to lack the thorny spines. Probably will have to wait for fruit production to make a better guess. You could ask the guy over at Mattslandscape, he might be able to tell you what you have.
http://www.mattslandscape.com/hylocereus/

TREESNMORE

• USA Palm City FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 06:13:44 AM »
Thao
Thank you for posting the site .Some nice colored flowers I will be buying , all i have ever seen was white.
Mike

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 11:53:03 AM »
Thao
Thank you for posting the site .Some nice colored flowers I will be buying , all i have ever seen was white.

No problem Mike, You could say it's a thank you for the seeds.  ;) :) :D ;D and i'll let you know as soon as I get them, could even be today.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 12:48:12 PM »
Sadly, the flowers dropped and no fruit, If I was at home I would have hand pollinated them, but I am away o a trip.  there is a chance that there is fruit but not visible from the ground.  these flowers are about 20ft above ground 2 stories up on the roof.

I will get my extension ladder and check it out as soon as I get home tomorrow.

this Pitaya, was planted from a cutting, marked as "Makisupa" but descriptions online say it has white flowers. so who knows. if by any chance there is a fruit on it I will post pictures. 
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 06:09:19 AM »
I have H.ocamponis and they are really spiky and those lobes on the flowers retain red edges on the fruit.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
Your pitaya stem looks too green. It could be why the flowers are aborting. The other reason is you may have given it too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorous. I like to give them enough sun so they turn a little yellow. They may not look as good but that's the right amount of light for producing lots of flowers.

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »
Hard to tell, maybe H. Guatemalensis???

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »
Just got back, wife showed me the dropped flowers,   they were very small,  ( they look bigger in the picture ), and from what I can tell, they do not look like they have opened.  at least they sure do not look like my other pitaya flowers after they have opened.

as for the fertilizer,  I have given this plant very little fertilizer, and  when I did it was a 6-6-6 with "slow" release nitrogen, I still need to get up on the roof and see what else may be going on.  flowers sure were pretty though.  I have some 5-15-45 water soluble fertilizer, I will add some of that.  this Pitaya is growing out of a 5 gallon self watering container, but I allow it to dry out between waterings.
William

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 05:20:07 PM »
Update,

Went up on the roof, no flowers or fruit left. I noticed some sunburn on a couple of "branches" must be caused by proximity to the cement slab roof reflecting the sun.  flowers my have been cooked off.
William

cgps

• general fruticulture
    • san jose of cúcuta, north of santander, Colombia,tropical dry weather,max 38min18, 40%RH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 03:41:04 PM »
This is?, that I have a plant and this is the fruit

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »
Cgps,

Nice looking fruit. :) How big is the fruit?

cgps

• general fruticulture
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »
is like a hand, but are more bigs

camile

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk