Author Topic: Is this a Eugenia victoriana?  (Read 2250 times)

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
Is this a Eugenia victoriana?
« on: September 19, 2013, 09:10:21 PM »
Hi All,

I was just wondering if any of you can tell if this is Eugenia victoriana just from pictures of the leaves?

I planted 2 of these years ago where I use to live and then mostly ignored them.  For some reason I got it into my head they were a Psidium of some sort.  I’ve since moved and only visit that property rarely, but I have seen fruit on them several times, but only immature fruit.  It was green and pear shaped and guava-like, with angular sides if I remember correctly.  This spring I turned the water off to the property and dug up this plant and figured I’d go back for the other one in a month or so (haven’t made it yet ::)).  Anyway, once this one recovered and started growing I realized it’s more than likely not a Psidium.

I have a record in an old journal of planting apple-cherry (Euginia victoriana) seeds on 11-28-97 and the pictures I can find on the internet look similar but I thought I’d post and see if anyone can say for sure without pictures of flower and fruit. 

Cheers,
Sven

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Is this a Eugenia victoriana?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »
defintely not victoriana....looks more like cattley guava...although I can't tell for sure with my phone.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 10:07:51 PM »
It’s not cattley guava.  These leaves are bigger than cattley guava and the Immature fruits I saw were slightly smaller than a pear (much bigger than the cattley) if that helps narrow it down. 

I may have to get some files off my old computer where I will have a record of what I planted.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:11:22 PM by Sven »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 04:49:11 AM »
Not Eugenia victoriana. Last photo looks like some type of Psidium (guava) species. Why not post a photo of the fruit?
Oscar

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 07:44:15 AM »
I will when it fruits again.  Unfortunately I don't think I took any pictures when they had fruit.  I'll dig my old computer out of the basement and see if I can find pictures or a record of what the heck I planted. Thanks for the help.

Sven

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 09:49:24 AM »
Hello Sven,

Can't you just look up a picture of Eugenia victoriana and see if that's what your fruit looked like? :-)

Tomas

PS. Your name looks very Swedish.

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 11:27:58 AM »
Hi Tomas,

I did try that, but I only saw immature fruit so I wasn’t sure exactly what the ripe fruit looked like or what color it ended up being. 

After looking through pictures of Psidiums on google I now suspect it may be Psidium friedrichsthalianum.  The fruit looks right and the leaves are close.  I’ll let you all know if I can find a record of when and what I planted and if it blooms and fruits again I will post some pictures.

My dad was German and it is a Swedish name, but there are a lot of Svens in Germany as well.  Not many in the States though.

Thanks again.

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 12:53:21 PM »
Hi Sven,

Good luck identifying your fruit. I was just asking about your name because I am Swedish.

Tomas

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »
Hi Tomas,

I did try that, but I only saw immature fruit so I wasn’t sure exactly what the ripe fruit looked like or what color it ended up being. 

After looking through pictures of Psidiums on google I now suspect it may be Psidium friedrichsthalianum.  The fruit looks right and the leaves are close.  I’ll let you all know if I can find a record of when and what I planted and if it blooms and fruits again I will post some pictures.

My dad was German and it is a Swedish name, but there are a lot of Svens in Germany as well.  Not many in the States though.

Thanks again.

Go to bottom of forum home page and do a google image search inside the forum for Eugenia victoriana. I posted photos of fruits with leaves before. Looks completely different than your plant.
Oscar

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 12:59:08 AM »
Thanks Oscar,

Your pictures are how I found this forum, but it’s obvious now that it isn’t E. victoriana.  The older leaves on my plant get bumpy and look similar to the recessed veins on the E. victoriana leaves.  That coupled with the record of me planting some seed made me think it might be E. victoriana. 

Psidium friedrichsthalianum looks much closer to what I have but my plants new growth isn’t as red as some of the pictures I saw.  The fruit is very similar to what was on my plant as well.  Also this plant survived and fruited outside in zone 9B under some light trees where winter temps got down to 28 or even 27 sometimes.

Thanks for all the help.

Sven

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk