Author Topic: What Fruit Can My Mom Expect to find in San Miguel de Allende (Central Mexico)?  (Read 1502 times)

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
My Mom is going to be in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico for 2 weeks and I was wondering if any of you know what fruit she might expect to find in the markets there this time of year?

Are any of you familiar with this city?  Any markets you would recommend?

Thank you,
Sven

FloridaGreenMan

• Fort Lauderdale FL Zone 10B
    • Florida USA
    • View Profile
That area should be a hotbed of nice annonas like Ilama and A. reticulata (custard apple) and maybe Cherimoya. Always start at the biggest central market and maybe contact the local Ag Dept. for info.  The taxistas usually know where the good markets are. Spanish fluency is a big help although many people speak indigenous languages.           
FloridaGreenMan

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
I've been to Mexico but never to San Miguel de Allende, one of my favorite cities that I'd like to visit. I'm inclined to think that you can grow just about anything in Mexico.
I'm sure the perfect Forum Member to ask is Luc.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
I've been to Mexico but never to San Miguel de Allende, one of my favorite cities that I'd like to visit. I'm inclined to think that you can grow just about anything in Mexico.
I'm sure the perfect Forum Member to ask is Luc.

Yes you can grow anything in Mexico but not all at the same place , same as saying you can grow anything in the US if you include Hawaii and PR.
San Miguel is at a high elevation it may even freeze in winter months , so not too many tropicals there .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
Thank you all for the help.

Noel, I forwarded your comments to my Mom.

Luc, central Mexico just sounds like it should be tropical.  I’ll tell her to look for locally grown fruits and maybe she’ll find something unusual that will do well in our cooler areas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk