Author Topic: A new annona variety from Brazil?  (Read 2421 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: A new annona variety from Brazil?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »
Very interesting annona species indeed. Look how small it is and has flowered. Though must be due to a slow growing habit?

BTW, Luis or other Portuguese speaking members, care to give a brief translation?

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 06:02:33 PM »
Very interesting annona species indeed. Look how small it is and has flowered. Though must be due to a slow growing habit?

BTW, Luis or other Portuguese speaking members, care to give a brief translation?
Posted on December 28, 2012 by the Cerrado Plants

I found this fruit around the city of Sacramento-MG.

At first I thought it is the Annona pygmaea, however I was wrong. This is another very rare species of Annona in cerrado and apparently still uncatalogued.

She appears to have an underground stem, from where the leaves and inflorescences. The flowers are pollinated by beetles (Coleoptera) that are attracted to them I believe the smell and temperature above the ambient background.

The fruit is edible and slightly sweet, with plenty of seeds, like pine cone and fruit count.

I'm trying to make a few changes, but it does not know if they'll germinate

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:17:42 PM »
Thanks for the translation, I guess I  could have just use Google translate, but not on Google browser.

Thanks again

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 06:24:15 PM »
Interesting, the Cerrado plant annona cornifolia's flowers are also slightly warmer than the surrounding temprature as to attract pollinators. I wish I could judge size, the fruit can't be more than a couple inches across, but it is very large compared to the stalks/leaves.

Look how small it is and has flowered. Though must be due to a slow growing habit?

There are very few annonas with this growth habit, the plant is rhizomatous, and grows several stalks from large, woody rhizome, this plant is most likely to die back during the dry season, as with annona stenophylla.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 06:49:13 PM »
Interesting, the Cerrado plant annona cornifolia's flowers are also slightly warmer than the surrounding temprature as to attract pollinators. I wish I could judge size, the fruit can't be more than a couple inches across, but it is very large compared to the stalks/leaves.

Look how small it is and has flowered. Though must be due to a slow growing habit?

There are very few annonas with this growth habit, the plant is rhizomatous, and grows several stalks from large, woody rhizome, this plant is most likely to die back during the dry season, as with annona stenophylla.
Annona coriácea http://plantasdocerrado.wordpress.com/2013/10/07/araticum-do-cerrado-annona-coriacea/  Annona cornifolia http://plantasdocerrado.wordpress.com/2013/04/22/anona-cornifolia/

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 07:58:07 PM »
Wow, how cool would it be to have a blanket of these? An Annona groundcover!
Doesn't look particularly nice to eat and the rats would have a field day, but it would still be pretty cool.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 09:17:10 AM »
Wow, how cool would it be to have a blanket of these? An Annona groundcover!
Doesn't look particularly nice to eat and the rats would have a field day, but it would still be pretty cool.
Yes it's very cool, i never imagine to see a flower and a fruit giving directly from the grownd.

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 09:33:39 PM »
Great find Luis,

Now we just need some seeds.  Very cool species, thanks for posting.

Sven

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 08:35:48 AM »
Great find Luis,

Now we just need some seeds.  Very cool species, thanks for posting.

Sven
Hi Sven, how are you? It's a cool discovery, but infortunately was lost! It seams the discover went there later and a sugar cane crop was in this place. The only hope is a new find for this species.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk