Author Topic: we added 7 new native fruit species  (Read 2696 times)

huertasurbanas

• Junín, Argentina, zone 9b/9a
    • View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
we added 7 new native fruit species
« on: December 29, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »
We added 7 new species to the native fruit collection .

* Ubajay ( hexachlamis edulis )
* Black ñangapiré ( eugenia repanda )
* Anacahuita / myrtle/arrayán ( Blepharocalyx salicifolius )
* guayabo blanco ( Eugenia uruguayensis )
* cambuizinho - vermelho ( Myrcia selloi )
* guayabo Colorado ( Myrcianthes cisplatensis ) : brother of guabiyú
* Murta ( Myrceugenia glaucescens )

The age of these trees varies between 2-5 years.

Of these, the best known in Argentina are the arrayán and Ubajay , but almost no one really knows them. The rest, absolutely nobody knows: it's so ridiculous!

Photos at:

http://www.huertasurbanas.com/2013/12/29/7-nuevas-especies-de-frutales-nativos/

« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:21:44 PM by huertasurbanas »
ONLINE SHOP:

https://www.huertasurbanas.com/shop

30% Discount Coupon: FIRST

Sven

• USA, Sounthern California, Jamul, 9B 3000 ft.
    • View Profile
Re: we added 7 new native fruit species
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »
Good work Marcos,

Where did you find the trees, a nursery?  They look good, I hope they do well and fruit for you quickly.  Are you going to put them in the ground soon or keep them in pots for a while? 

Sven

Tomas

• USA, Virginia - 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:14:08 AM »
Hi huertasurbanas,

Most of those species I have never heard about before. What is your own favorite native fruit that grows in your area?

Tomas

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:18:48 AM »
Thanks Sven: it was very difficult to get them, here in Argentina almost nowbody mind about the native fruits. Yes, a nursery from Entre Ríos had them, very few.

We will plant 47 at the food forest (mainly ubajay and guabiju, but some e. repandas, e. uniflora and p. cattleianum later too), 7 of them (all different species) will be in my urban garden in pots (to be repoted and observed till they fruit!) along with other 55 that will go later to a week end house of my parents for an fence (eugenia repanda, uniflora, psidium cattleianum).

Today I saw flower buds in some eugenia repandas... it seems that this should be the second set of flowers at the begining of our summer.

My main problem now is that they were in half shade and I dont have a good shaded place for them in my urban garden (but in the food forest we setted 40 of these tree under big trees, and they are ok)... the heat wave was terrific! I hope this is the end.

Look at this 3 years old psidium cattleianum (from the same nursery but we bought it in 2012, first set of fruits) in the front yard: some leaves were burned:

Anyway, it's ok: new leaves show no sign of burns.

I water it everyday, twice a day (as almost all jaboticabas, guavas, etc.)... and the sun is burning some leaves, so... it's too hard. Now it's raining and temperatures drop a bit.

I never saw something like this, last year there were heat waves but they have not lasted this long, and the sun was not so strong, say it is due to solar storms.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:30:43 AM by huertasurbanas »
ONLINE SHOP:

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:46:42 AM »
Hi huertasurbanas,

Most of those species I have never heard about before. What is your own favorite native fruit that grows in your area?

Tomas

Hi Tomas: well...

It is hard to say. First and foremost, none in my area grows naturally , the Feijoas naturalize and guabiju should, but for now I do not know .

Many forests were devastated 500 years ago until now , so we do not really know what was here at Junin, Provincia de Buenos Aires.

If I travel 500 km to the north to Santa Fe, would find many of these fruit trees in little native forests .

I tried ugly Feijoas  (warmly , bitter, like the smell of white soap) from other trees , but ours are delicious , small but very tasty . The same thing happened to me with guavas : I have the luck to have good varieties and love them.

The guabijú is very special, now in January I will have the opportunity to give it to everyone to try and see what people in general will think , I'm crazy about guabiju .

Of the pitanga , just tried them from our trees : the red I liked less because their resinous flavor , and I loved the black , it was amazing .

On the other hand , do not imagine my life without psidium cattleianum : I want to eat them all summers and autumns.

I hope the eugenia repandas will be very good , I received good feedback from the owner of the nursery and read that Helton considers them delicious .

So far it has not disappointed me no native fruit (except the bad varieties of feijoa, pitanga and guava)

So what is my favorite native fruit? If you corner me against the wall, I'll take the guabiju because it has texture firmer than the pitanga and could eat hundreds of them, but the feijoa is no slouch either, it's delicious ... and I can not outrun p. cattlianum or guavas (and didnt tried yet ubajay, repanda, sete capotes, uvaia and neither the new species we have) ... I'll have to wait years to see if any of these is my favorite ... and also the Jaboticaba is native to the north (Misiones), then: there is much competition for "what is the best fruit"
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 09:11:42 AM by huertasurbanas »
ONLINE SHOP:

chingchang

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »
We added 7 new species to the native fruit collection .

* Ubajay ( hexachlamis edulis )
* Black ñangapiré ( eugenia repanda )
* Anacahuita / myrtle/arrayán ( Blepharocalyx salicifolius )
* guayabo blanco ( Eugenia uruguayensis )
* cambuizinho - vermelho ( Myrcia selloi )
* guayabo Colorado ( Myrcianthes cisplatensis ) : brother of guabiyú
* Murta ( Myrceugenia glaucescens )

The age of these trees varies between 2-5 years.

Of these, the best known in Argentina are the arrayán and Ubajay , but almost no one really knows them. The rest, absolutely nobody knows: it's so ridiculous!

Photos at:

http://www.huertasurbanas.com/2013/12/29/7-nuevas-especies-de-frutales-nativos/
请问你有种子卖吗
Do you have seed you sell

huertasurbanas

• View Profile
    • huertasurbanas
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
Hi chingchang, not for now: they are not bearing fruits for now, only one ugenia repanda is showing some flower buds... i think we will have to wait till the next years for seeds exchange

anyway, I will have some guabiju seeds this january and maybe uvaia or sete capotes later... then, feijoa, p. cattleianum, guava and tamarillo by march or so
ONLINE SHOP:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk