Author Topic: Avocado Suggestions wanted  (Read 5551 times)

natsgarden123

Avocado Suggestions wanted
« on: January 18, 2014, 02:16:40 PM »
Since no-one local can sell me a Wilson , anyone have some ideas? My sister has  Day Avocado - nice fruit- so I want to plant something different.

Ive tasted a bunch at Excalibur- they all were pretty good ....

I need a shade tree, trouble free, Day-like Avocado taste ( which tastes much better then the typical supermarket Florida varieties) - It also should be a Big Full looking tree - we need it to hide an area. So the actual tree is as important as the taste.

My husband , the fruit tree hater ( although he eats the fruit without problem) has finally gave in....

Id like a 7 gallon - this has to be local since Im on call so often and I can't leave.

In all of my years of doing this , I've never had a successful Avocado grow in my yard - Wilma  split mine in half and I haven't planted one since.

Any suggestions?

Patrick? :)

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado Suggestions wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 03:18:57 PM »
Seems like Monroe is the common suggestion for a FL avocado. Should be pretty easy to find.

natsgarden123

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 03:45:53 PM »
Do you know what the tree looks like?

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 06:06:32 PM »
Either a Monroe or its black skinned seedling "Oro Negro."

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 06:33:31 PM »
Since you are getting one avocado tree then what time of year do you want to eat them? Because avocado varieties have many different fruit yielding times. I prefer fall and winter so I planted lula. I also have two others in pots but will only plant one

Either a Monroe or its black skinned seedling "Oro Negro."

Both are fall into winter varieties I believe
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:35:24 PM by zands »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 07:51:52 PM »
Zans a comment on the Oro Negro.  I'm on my second year of production on my Oro Negro. My observations are : Not a big producer may be 30% on what a Monroe tree will produce. Invariably every person who I have given them to try along  with Monroe fruits, prefers a Monroe. Now add the production issue.........Which would you plant?
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

natsgarden123

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 08:56:24 PM »
Zans a comment on the Oro Negro.  I'm on my second year of production on my Oro Negro. My observations are : Not a big producer may be 30% on what a Monroe tree will produce. Invariably every person who I have given them to try along  with Monroe fruits, prefers a Monroe. Now add the production issue.........Which would you plant?

Sounds like Monroe has it. I really like your website-

One more question: How far to plant an avocado from a paver driveway - I have ready that Avocados have aggressive and superficial root systems...and I have also read otherwise. 

THANKS!   :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:01:00 PM by natsgarden123 »

CTMIAMI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 09:21:17 PM »

Sounds like Monroe has it. I really like your website-

One more question: How far to plant an avocado from a paver driveway - I have ready that Avocados have aggressive and superficial root systems...and I have also read otherwise. 

THANKS!   :)
I would plant it at least 7-8 feet away from the drive way
Carlos
 Tweeter: @carlosdlt280
www.myavocadotrees.com
zone 10a Miami-Dade County

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 11:17:30 PM »

Monroe is the answer  (fall-winter)
with Catalina being the solid reliable late summer avocado according to you and what I have bought and eaten and liked from Hispanic oriented markets near me like Broward Meat and Fish. Caltalina also being a Cuban-American favorite.  My local Walmart has carried Catalina. Publix too.

natsgarden123

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 10:48:50 AM »

with Catalina being the solid reliable late summer avocado according to you and what I have bought and eaten and liked from Hispanic oriented markets near me like Broward Meat and Fish. Caltalina also being a Cuban-American favorite.  My local Walmart has carried Catalina. Publix too.

Thanks for your input Zands- you are always so helpful  :) How is your California Hass doing? Is it a seedling?

Im pretty sure I tasted Catalina and Monroe at some point but I don't remember the nuances between the two - If you haven't tried a Day avocado, do so, its really good and my sister has never had any issues with tree itself- but I dont want to plant the same tree since we share the fruit.

Production doesnt really matter - I dont sell anything and there is only so much avocado that we can eat- once the tree matures and there is enough fruit to go around, Ill probably give some away.

I have always thought that fruit gifts make good neighbors.

Patrick , who lives very close by, has beautiful trees and he already has a 7 gallon Monroe for me. 

Its a bit cold this week otherwise I would have planted today.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 11:02:51 AM »

Thanks for your input Zands- you are always so helpful  :) How is your California Hass doing? Is it a seedling?

Im pretty sure I tasted Catalina and Monroe at some point but I don't remember the nuances between the two - If you haven't tried a Day avocado, do so, its really good and my sister has never had any issues with tree itself- but I dont want to plant the same tree since we share the fruit.

Production doesnt really matter - I dont sell anything and there is only so much avocado that we can eat- once the tree matures and there is enough fruit to go around, Ill probably give some away.

Patrick , who lives very close by, has beautiful trees and he already has a 7 gallon Monroe for me. 

Its a bit cold this week otherwise I would have planted today.

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 11:04:42 AM »
Carlos is right on, for taste and production, Monroe is a winner, we have been picking Monroe's for 2 months with no end in sight, just an overall s. fl. Winner. Mike

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 11:41:11 AM »
Thanks Natalie....My California Hass is grafted. Just planted last year. It has some brown leaves which  people here say is a winter thing and not to worry....Improvement will come in the spring. So I cannot give you a good report

Day avocado is listed as late summer into early fall so if you get a fall-winter avocado tree you can trade avocados with your sister based on seasonal availability. BTW been meaning to ask---- how is musa saba coming along?
'
There are a lot more backyard mango trees than avocado trees so I think avocado is more appreciated for a gift. Only problem is too many are conditioned to eat avocados only in guacamole ..... So they get a gift of an avocado that is not at the Hass level of oily and they don't appreciate it. Hass being the classic guacamole avocado.

Avocado is great on the dinner plate or dinner table sliced up and pieces eaten as you go along. It adds a fatty buttery dimension.....the healthy kind. To just use it for guacamole is old......

Catalina is full flavored for summer. Not very oily but not watery tasting either some summer avocadoes can be
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:52:10 AM by zands »

natsgarden123

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 07:15:29 PM »
OK- Monroe is it-planted today

thanks all for your suggestions  :)

I mulched around  it after this photo

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »
Nice looking Monroe!  Be sure and watch the lower green tape so it doesn't constrict the trunk.

MarinFla

• Deerfield Beach, FL 33442
    • USA, Deerfield Beach/FL, 33442. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 10:39:36 PM »
Really nice tree!!
Now I want one :)

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 12:35:01 AM »
That is a beauty, nice specimen/job.
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 08:52:35 AM »
That is one great looking Monroe !..

Enjoy !....
Ed..
Zone 10

natsgarden123

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 09:00:29 AM »
Thanks all  :)

Patrick sells awesome trees, hand-picked beauties.

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 09:49:21 AM »
OK- Monroe is it-planted today

thanks all for your suggestions  :)

I mulched around  it after this photo

I must have it's twin! Looks just like the one I just planted in the grove.

Remove the cane and tape, the tree doesn't need it anymore.

Good Luck, Joe.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:59:56 AM by MangoMan2 »

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 11:24:53 AM »
Nice monroe avocado tree! :)
Alexi

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
Of the following, can any of these varieties be maintained at smaller heights than others?  I know Richard Campbell says you can keep them all small, but which ones naturally grow lower?

Lula
Day
Monroe
Simmonds
Donnie
Bacon
Bernecker
Russell

Thanks.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk