Author Topic: Wanted: various dragon fruit cuttings  (Read 14635 times)

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: various dragon fruit cuttings
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 12:32:04 AM »
Hi Rodney,

Haven't seen you post lately, welcome back. BTW, I need to send you the seeds for the Angelic plant and red holy basil. I told you I was going to grow the angelic plant for you , but never got around to do it. I still have the seeds in it's package, you can have them. Just PM me your address, if you're still interested in them?

Seng

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 10:16:28 AM »
I'm looking for Pepino Dulce, Condor, American Beauty, Purple Haze, Physical Graffiti or Halley's Comet and Bien Hoa red.

Which ones are you still looking for?
I have gotten or is going to get all the above mention, except Bien Hoa Red. So, that would be the one, i'm still looking for. And I wouldn't mind an extra Condor or 2 either. Since that is supposedly one of the hardiest varieties, at 22F? Though, I don't get anywhere near that cold, it's more like mid and high 30s. Then every now and then, when the arctic blast comes by, we get 1-2 nights of high 20s.
there is a place on ebay selling cuttings cheap.  They have many varieties...they are in louisiana (not sure the exact name but searching on ebay for : dragonfruit cutting and it will come up sooner or later.
I know which seller you're talking about. He/she have very reasonable prices.
Hi Thao
Which varieties are more hardy in order for the colder areas?
Mike,

I'm not so sure my self. I've only read the online description from the web, stating, Condor as being cold hardy to 22F(-5.5C).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattslandscapecom/6057012171/#
Anyone has personal experience and can back up this claim?
Somewhere in the forum was a post with a link to a website. In the table of the link is a short description of the different varieties including the cold hardiness. I cant remember in which topic.
Mike

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2014, 11:58:15 AM »
Mike,

Thanks, i'l search the forum to see, if I cold find it.

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2014, 02:55:27 PM »
Somewhere in the forum was a post with a link to a website. In the table of the link is a short description of the different varieties including the cold hardiness. I cant remember in which topic.

Check out Ramiro Lobo's 2013 PowerPoint presentation (4th to the last slide):

http://ucanr.edu/sites/sdsmallfarms/files/172469.pdf
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 02:57:39 PM by ricshaw »

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2014, 02:57:23 PM »

Check out Ramiro Lobo's 2013 PowerPoint presentation:

http://ucanr.edu/sites/sdsmallfarms/files/172469.pdf
Thanks you for the link, will look it up.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »
Thanks you for the link, will look it up.

This is the sheet I keep a print-out for reference:
The 2011 Pitahaya Festival Irvine field results:
http://www.edvaldivia.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=765

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »
The two Mexican ones El Gurro and Valivia Roja are pretty hardy. Do  you(ricshaw) have those two varieties as well, that you can include in the box before you send the condor and bien hoa red this way? They would really benefit here, with their cold hardiness and heat tolerances.

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2014, 03:26:06 PM »
The link to the table was this one
http://www.edvaldivia.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=828
Thank you, Ricshaw
Mike

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2014, 03:30:51 PM »
From the table you can see a close relationship between cold hardiness and heat tolerance!
How is to explain that behavior?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:58:39 PM by msk0072 »
Mike

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2014, 03:35:04 PM »
The two Mexican ones El Gurro and Valivia Roja are pretty hardy. Do  you(ricshaw) have those two varieties as well, that you can include in the box before you send the condor and bien hoa red this way? They would really benefit here, with their cold hardiness and heat tolerances.

I do not have Condor and Bien Hoa...  must be somebody else.

I do have (I am growing) Valdivia Rojas as a pollinator next to my Delight plants.

As far as Dragon Fruit plants go...  I really like Valdivia Rojas. It is different,

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2014, 03:41:26 PM »
From the table you can see a close relationship between cold hardiness and heat tolerance!
How is to explain this behavior?

Dragon Fruit at the Irvine Research Center do not like too hot or too cold.

Have you seen the YouTube video with Ramiro Lobo posted on MattsLandscaping.com?
He explains the Research Center goals.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 03:46:19 PM by ricshaw »

msk0072

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2014, 04:11:59 PM »
How is to explain this behavior?

Dragon Fruit at the Irvine Research Center do not like too hot or too cold.

Have you seen the YouTube video with Ramiro Lobo posted on MattsLandscaping.com?
No, I wiil try
In the table the most gold hardy varieties are at the same time the most heat tolerant That means a big temperature range
Mike

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2014, 04:34:33 PM »
As far as Dragon Fruit plants go...  I really like Valdivia Rojas. It is different,

By "different", I do not mean taste.  I mean stem shape which might explain heat and cold tolerance.

Rather than try to explain with text or a drawing I took a couple of pictures to try and demonstrate what I mean.

I know that in the above picture the stem on the Left is a "tip" and the one on the right is a "cut" stem, but hopefully you will get the idea.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2014, 04:43:14 PM »

I'm sorry... it is MattsLandscape.com.

The video is at the bottom of this Link;
http://www.mattslandscape.com/hylocereus_info/
There is no part 2.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »

I do not have Condor and Bien Hoa...  must be somebody else.

I do have (I am growing) Valdivia Rojas as a pollinator next to my Delight plants.

My bad................well have you notice if your Valdivia Rojas is any hardy than the others you're growing or about the same?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2014, 09:53:54 PM »
My bad................well have you notice if your Valdivia Rojas is any hardy than the others you're growing or about the same?

I have not seen any "hardy" issues with Dragon Fruit where I live.  I have noticed that some varieties seem to grow (cuttings take root) faster than other varieties.

Lisa being noticeably slow to grow for me. Halley's Comet a variety easier to grow.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 09:30:16 AM »
I know DF grows well here in FL, but growers in Cali seem to appreciate it DF more.  It seems to do well in both climates....maybe the CRFG is responsible for the popularity in CA....or just that Edgar V lives out there.

Either way, the fruit is healthy and looks amazing!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

yonip69

• San Diego, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 11:24:07 AM »
Seng I have Rixford cutting but I don't know if this is self pollen. Is this worth planting it. I did search on this forum but can't fine any clue

Gene   

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »

I have not seen any "hardy" issues with Dragon Fruit where I live.  I have noticed that some varieties seem to grow (cuttings take root) faster than other varieties.

Lisa being noticeably slow to grow for me. Halley's Comet a variety easier to grow.
I forgot to factor in, your location either, when I asked about varieties being hardier than others. I guess being 10b, you don't see frost very often like I do here in 9b. Well............I guess, I just gotta grow the varieties I have and test first hand and see for my self. That'll be the only way, i'll know for sure, which variety is hardier than the others :)

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
Seng I have Rixford cutting but I don't know if this is self pollen. Is this worth planting it. I did search on this forum but can't fine any clue

Gene   
I don't have first hand experience with that variety, maybe Richshaw might know a bit more? Though that is a better known variety, so if you look up on this forum, you might be able to find out more info about that variety. Though, from the past reading of DF, some does mention that Rixford is a great tasting variety to grow, I just don't know about self pollinating.

yonip69

• San Diego, Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2014, 12:13:39 PM »
Ricshaw can you help this poor guy here, Do you have idea if rixford dragon fruit is self pollen or just a self sterile  ;D

Gene

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2014, 01:27:53 PM »
Ricshaw can you help this poor guy here, Do you have idea if rixford dragon fruit is self pollen or just a self sterile  ;D
Gene

When it comes to Dragon Fruit...  I am new school, not old school.

By new school I mean a grower of the varieties available from Pine Island nursery and the annual Irvine, CA Pitahaya Festival.

Old school is people who got Dragon Fruit varieties from the original CRFG members like Paul Thomson and Leo Manuel.

Rixford is a variety Paul Thomson collected from someone else and is one of the parents Paul used to create his hybrids.

From Paul Thomson's book Pitahaya - A Promising New Fruit Crop for Southern California, Paul says Rixford is an unknown species and he thinks is from Guatemala and all of the seedlings from his Netitzel X Rixford cross must be cross pollinated to set fruit.

I think all Dragon Fruit is "self pollinating" (not "self fertile") under the right conditions.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »
I heard rixford is a good variety. I haven't tasted it and my little plant if it is nowhere close to flowering.
I mean why would Paul Thomson use it unless it has good qualities.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk