Author Topic: Wanted: various dragon fruit cuttings  (Read 14580 times)

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Wanted: various dragon fruit cuttings
« on: January 30, 2014, 05:46:36 PM »
My Dragon fruit plants got hit hard by the freeze last December and looks dead. I want to start over again, but with protection this time during the winter. I'm looking for Pepino Dulce, Condor, American Beauty, Purple Haze, Physical Graffiti or Halley's Comet and Bien Hoa red.

I might have selenicereus setaceus cuttings available later this year if anyone is interested. http://postimg.cc/image/qnujkvcf5/

Thanks in advance,
Seng

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: various dragon fruit cuttings
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 09:51:38 PM »
I can send you what I have. I don't have all of these though.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:56:07 PM »
Fang,

Very generous of you. Thank you, i'll PM you.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:01:24 PM »
Fang,

Very generous of you. Thank you, i'll PM you.

Purple Haze is no problem. I have a few nice segments to share.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 11:39:23 PM »
Hey Seng,

I have American Beauty and Halley's Comet from your list. I may have a small cutting of purple haze as well. You may also be interested in my Simons Purple which is a small sweet fruit with excellent flavor and is highly productive. Simons purple is also self fruitful where I live. I also have yellow dragonfruit and Frankie's Red but they are more cold sensitive and may not survive in your area. Let me know what you are interested in and I can send you some cuttings for the cost of shipping. Thanks again for the Black Sugarcane cuttings, I can't wait till they start growing. Cheers,
Simon

Mystee

• USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 10:13:29 PM »
 Hi - I have dragon fruit , I could trade with you. Don't know, which type yet as it has not made any flower or fruit. But, I do want more to try and grow. Please, pm me if you are interested. Thank you, Mystee

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 03:44:56 AM »
Mystery, how long have you grown dragonfruit? We have a dragonfruit thread in this forum. You can post your experiences there.

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 01:29:26 PM »
Hi Thao! Well now i have 12 varieties but still cuttings, but when they grow it will be a pleasure to send them to you!  ;D

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 04:03:50 PM »
Thanks Luis,

After I sent some cuttings your way, we had a hard freeze and my I plants are dead. But, don't worry about sending any future cuttings, the other member who commented on this post, have already helped me get some new ones.

Thanks again, hope your grows well for you :)

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 04:17:31 PM »
Thanks Luis,

After I sent some cuttings your way, we had a hard freeze and my I plants are dead. But, don't worry about sending any future cuttings, the other member who commented on this post, have already helped me get some new ones.

Thanks again, hope your grows well for you :)
They look like the same, but the purple haze one with growing roots! I think that as soon as Spring time came next month they will start to grow!  ;D

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 05:40:57 PM »
With Spring, they should really start growing and rooting for you. The first time I got some cuttings in October, they just sat there through the whole winter doing nothing. By early spring, some were kinda shriveled and have shrunken in size. Though, they were still green and alive. As spring progress and the weather got hotter, one by one they started rooting and growing. By summer, they grew very fast and large. Then, this past winter, the unexpected arctic freeze hit them and they're all mush now. We usually don't get hard freeze, only light frost now and then, but every 10 or so years, we get a hard arctic freeze.

Good luck with your cuttings, they will do fine and you should get fruits in a few years time.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:54:15 AM by thao »

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 05:21:41 AM »
With Spring, they should really start growing and rooting for you. The first time I got some cuttings in October, they just sat there through the whole winter doing nothing. By early spring, some were kinda shriveled and have shrunken in size. Though, they were still green and alive. As spring progress and the weather got hotter, one by one they starting rooting and growing. By summer, they grew very fast and large. Then this past winter, the unexpected arctic freeze hit them and their all mush now. We usually don't get hard freeze, only light frost now and then, but every 10 or so years, we get a hard arctic freeze.

Good luck with your cuttings, they will do fine and you should get fruits in a few years time.
Thank you my friend! And good luck with your new dragons! ;D

ricshaw

• USA, Southern California, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • ricshaw805 YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 11:59:50 AM »
I'm looking for Pepino Dulce, Condor, American Beauty, Purple Haze, Physical Graffiti or Halley's Comet and Bien Hoa red.

Which ones are you still looking for?

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 12:39:11 PM »
there is a place on ebay selling cuttings cheap.  They have many varieties...they are in louisiana (not sure the exact name but searching on ebay for : dragonfruit cutting and it will come up sooner or later.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 01:13:05 PM »
I'm looking for Pepino Dulce, Condor, American Beauty, Purple Haze, Physical Graffiti or Halley's Comet and Bien Hoa red.

I have gotten or is going to get all the above mention, except Bien Hoa Red. So, that would be the one, i'm still looking for. And I wouldn't mind an extra Condor or 2 either. Since that is supposedly one of the hardiest varieties, at 22F? Though, I don't get anywhere near that cold, it's more like mid and high 30s. Then every now and then, when the arctic blast comes by, we get 1-2 nights of high 20s.
there is a place on ebay selling cuttings cheap.  They have many varieties...they are in louisiana (not sure the exact name but searching on ebay for : dragonfruit cutting and it will come up sooner or later.
I know which seller you're talking about. He/she have very reasonable prices.

msk0072

• Greece, Crete, Hania, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 02:09:49 PM »

I have gotten or is going to get all the above mention, except Bien Hoa Red. So, that would be the one, i'm still looking for. And I wouldn't mind an extra Condor or 2 either. Since that is supposedly one of the hardiest varieties, at 22F? Though, I don't get anywhere near that cold, it's more like mid and high 30s. Then every now and then, when the arctic blast comes by, we get 1-2 nights of high 20s.
Hi Thao
Which varieties are more hardy in order for the colder areas?
Mike

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 03:44:39 PM »

Hi Thao
Which varieties are more hardy in order for the colder areas?
Mike,

I'm not so sure my self. I've only read the online description from the web, stating, Condor as being cold hardy to 22F(-5.5C).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattslandscapecom/6057012171/#
Anyone has personal experience and can back up this claim?

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 11:53:57 AM »
Mike,
I'm not so sure my self. I've only read the online description from the web, stating, Condor as being cold hardy to 22F(-5.5C).
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattslandscapecom/6057012171/#
Anyone has personal experience and can back up this claim?

It also says Condor is a self pollinating variety.  Can anybody back up this claim?

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 01:14:37 PM »
Condor sometimes will set fruit without pollination. I know Ed Valdivia hand pollinates his anyway.

I don't live in the same place as my plants so I usually miss the chance to pollinate. The most self pollinating I've seen is Arizona Purple. That plant's in a corner I can't get to easily but I would discover fruits on it after they're set.

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2014, 08:40:41 PM »
I don't live in the same place as my plants so I usually miss the chance to pollinate. The most self pollinating I've seen is Arizona Purple. That plant's in a corner I can't get to easily but I would discover fruits on it after they're set.

The "Arizona Purple" is a single plant on a piece of property with NO other flowering Dragon Fruit near by?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:42:38 PM by ricshaw »

ricshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 09:57:08 PM »

It also says Condor is a self pollinating variety.  Can anybody back up this claim?

I, like many others, may be confused about the difference between "self pollinating" and "self fertile"!

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 10:07:16 PM »

The "Arizona Purple" is a single plant on a piece of property with NO other flowering Dragon Fruit near by?
No, all my plants are bunched up together but somehow the other ones flower and abort more often than not. A lot of them flower at the same time too and somehow fruit set rate is not very good.
Could the smaller size of the fruits have something to do with it? Like if the flowers are smaller and smaller animals can pollinate it than the larger flower/fruit varieties? I'm not sure what size the flowers are.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 10:13:05 PM »
"self pollinating" just means the female part of the flower is short enough so that it's own pollen can fall on it. A lot of varieties have the stigma way outside the flower where the bees don't even have to touch it to get inside the flower to take pollen.

If you see a 'condor' flower and the center part is about as long as the pollen structures, then I'd say it's self-pollinating.

"self fertile" means it will set fruit using only the pollen from the same flower, meaning cross-pollination is not required. Some plants are self-sterile which is an evolutionary tool to ensure that the next generation will have more variation. There's probably some protein marker in the pollen that the flower recognizes and rejects if it's the same as the one in the ovule.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 10:17:18 PM by fyliu »

NYC_FruitKing

• New Rochelle, NY, Zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 09:38:55 PM »
I want to try growing dragonfruit myself! I'm hoping to find fellow gardeners online that could supply 12" (or close) cuttings of American Beauty, Delight, Zamorano, Condor, Thompson, and Dark Star. Any help would be appreciated, I'd pay for postage and everything :D

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 10:23:44 PM »
I have American Beauty cuttings