Author Topic: *Update* Are Sichuan peppercorn plant(Zanthoxylum simulans(?) dioecious?  (Read 1682 times)

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
It's producing berries now without any other plants in sight. Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the flower cluster when it was blooming, but take a look at the berries below. Though from last year, it also produce berries by itself, the majority were seedless and this plant seems to not be deciduous either. It has 3- 5 leaves, with 5 being the more common leaves on this plant, anybody know which type of Zanthoxylum it might be?

And sorry for the camera lighting, it was from a phone camera.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:30:50 PM by thao »

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Are Sichuan peppercorn plant(Zanthoxylum simulans) dioecious?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 05:42:56 PM »
Everything I have seen about them say that they are dioecious.  Maybe she has one that, by some quirk, is monoecious -- it is not too uncommon for this to occur.  For example, black pepper is normally dioecious but nearly all commercial cultivars are monoecious.

John

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 06:32:21 PM »
x
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:57:20 PM by thao »

polux

• Slovakia, Nitra, 6a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 03:18:29 PM »
If it is Zanthoxylum simulans, it is monoecious. Last year I have fruits on 2 years old plants. Similar species - Z. piperitum and some others are dioecious so you need both  sexes to get a fruits.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 09:22:13 PM »
I actually don't know the exact species it is, but she has two different plants, one with 5 leaves and the other 7 leaves. I'll get a picture of them in the morning, since it's dark now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk