Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

Mangoes that taste like Kent?

<< < (3/6) > >>

simon_grow:
Thanks for all the replies everyone!  When I mentioned that I was looking for something that tastes similar or even better than a Kent, I was trying to give everyone reading this post some idea of what I like in a mango.  I have only tried a few varieties of mangoes and Kent's taste really good to my untrained palate.  They are very sweet and aromatic and perhaps I just like the more simple tasting mangoes but I won't know until I am able to try more varieties. 

Joe, I was thinking about a Haden but I already have a Glenn and Glenn's are supposed to be a descendant of Haden.  Would Glenn be close enough in terms of flavor profile to a Haden that it would be wise for me to grow something else instead? 

We do get a lot of Keitt's here late in the mango season and they are great mangoes.  I personally feel that Keitt's have a tad more citrusy flavor than a Kent and a Kent has a tad more tropical mangoey flavor when compared to a Keitt.  Keitt is already on my "to get" list.  I will be doing some more research on Southern Blush and Spirit of 76.  Please keep the suggestions coming in!
Simon

mangomandan:

--- Quote from: simon_grow on September 03, 2012, 03:22:09 AM ---

We do get a lot of Keitt's here late in the mango season and they are great mangoes.  I personally feel that Keitt's have a tad more citrusy flavor than a Kent and a Kent has a tad more tropical mangoey flavor when compared to a Keitt.  Keitt is already on my "to get" list.  I will be doing some more research on Southern Blush and Spirit of 76.  Please keep the suggestions coming in!
Simon

--- End quote ---

An astute observation, I think.   Brad also made a good suggestion. I had somehow forgotten through the years, but Valencia Pride is very tasty too.

bsbullie:
Simon - I think one thing to consider is that there is a distinct possibility that mangoes grown in Cali do not taste and sometimes look the same as those grown in Fla.  I have seen pictures that some have posted of Hadens and others and they do not look like those grown here in Fla and the descriptions do not completely sound like it would if describing a Florida grown mango.

With that being said, in Florida, a Glenn and Haden taste completely different so growing both would not seem like you have two of the same type of mango.

I think your best research would be to search out some of the real Cali mango growers and see what they have success with and try and taste some of those varieties.  You can also go by us Floridian's recommendations but keeping in mind it may not grow the same, look the same or even taste the same.

johnb51:
I, too, have always thought that Kent has a great flavor, and always will! ;D  And I can understand why you'd use it as your standard (even though I didn't plant it in my yard due to space constraints--I planted Beverly instead along with Angie, Pickering, Mahachanok, and Neelam).

Tropicdude:

--- Quote from: johnb51 on September 03, 2012, 09:59:46 AM ---I, too, have always thought that Kent has a great flavor, and always will! ;D  And I can understand why you'd use it as your standard (even though I didn't plant it in my yard due to space constraints--I planted Beverly instead along with Angie, Pickering, Mahachanok, and Neelam).

--- End quote ---

I love Kent when I can find them, this year in the DR, I have not seen one for sale, I ask around the street vendors , and they all say the same thing, no one seems to have any,  so basically its Keitt for the rest of the season, not complaining, Keiit is a decent mango.  but as they say, variety is the spice of life.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version