Tropical Fruit > Tropical Fruit Discussion

I'm growing Durian in Pots- Tell me I'm Crazy

(1/8) > >>

elouicious:
So far have been able to get good seedlings of what is probably oxyleanus, they even survived winter storm uri-

here is the best one-

Other than that I have a few graveolens but they seem to struggle, i just moved them into the greenhouse

I have read that they grow in clay soil, which I luckily have in abundance, so I have begun to top dress with some clay every once in a while

Forester:
There are a lot of such crazy people in Russia, so you are not the only one! ;) ;D

W.:
You're crazy.

Well, you said to tell you that you're crazy. ;D

Durian are finicky and get very large, so growing them in pots is probably not going to work. But, you never can tell. A big enough pot and a large enough (and hot enough) greenhouse, and you might get some fruit. A woman in South Florida managed to get a purple mangosteen to fruit in a large pot, so anything is possible. Plus, I am growing cherimoyas, jackfruits, and mamey sapotes in pots, in Alabama, so I am obviously just as crazy since none of those plants are small container fruit trees.

driftwood:
lots of people here grow durian plants

but no one in mainland US growing durian fruit

--- Quote from: W. on October 20, 2021, 08:14:38 PM ---You're crazy.

Well, you said to tell you that you're crazy. ;D

Durian are finicky and get very large, so growing them in pots is probably not going to work. But, you never can tell. A big enough pot and a large enough (and hot enough) greenhouse, and you might get some fruit. A woman in South Florida managed to get a purple mangosteen to fruit in a large pot, so anything is possible. Plus, I am growing cherimoyas, jackfruits, and mamey sapotes in pots, in Alabama, so I am obviously just as crazy since none of those plants are small container fruit trees.

--- End quote ---

where did you hear about the purple mangosteen?

sapote:
Yeah, I had never thought a mango seedling tree could have fruit at 3 or 4 years old nad less than 7 feet talk. I used to see gigantic mango trees in Maui and Vietnam with 5 feet diameter trunk.
But here in SoCal, 3 or 4 years old 5 feet tall and they have fruits.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version